E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Complete Reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has been in the shop since last Friday now, because of an idle/engine issue. Basically, the idle would surge when stopped/in park (from 500-900rpm, very choppy), and also I had an occurrence where the car completely shut down while going 35mph. By shut down I mean no power steering, brakes, etc. The car just DIED. Scary stuff, my wife freaked out. Then, last wednesday while warming up the car, it was off when I went out, so for the 2nd time it shut down/stalled.

I bought it to BMW, and the techs couldn't figure anything out. They found 2 faults, but did not know what to make of them. My case was referred to BMW engineering, and their solution is to reprogram the ENTIRE car. They think its a computer problem. I'm not so sure.

To add insult to injury, my SA called me yesterday at 4pm and said the reprogramming "crashed" and they would have to start over today...

My question to everyone is, should I expect any further problems because of the reprogram? I've heard of peripheral stuff ceasing to work because of this like LEDs in the eyebrows(they are reprogramming the progman, DME, everything)?

I'm really frustrated at this point, and I'm hoping this is the solution. Thanks for any input.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

The Reprogramming can crash some what frequently. It's not uncommon for them to have to try it several time before it takes..

My 535i did not take on the first reprogramming try after a HPFP failure. After that first reprogramming, they were able to get it to take the newer software loads in a couple hours the next few trips to the service center.

I have not heard of many issues after the reflash , but if you had the DTRL turned off before make sure that they do it before you leave or talk to your SA about it before.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='1058319' date='Nov 19 2009, 10:43 AM
The Reprogramming can crash some what frequently. It's not uncommon for them to have to try it several time before it takes..

My 535i did not take on the first reprogramming try after a HPFP failure. After that first reprogramming, they were able to get it to take the newer software loads in a couple hours the next few trips to the service center.

I have not heard of many issues after the reflash , but if you had the DTRL turned off before make sure that they do it before you leave or talk to your SA about it before.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll let my SA know.