E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

complete audio system failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium

Today, when attempting to switch to the weatherband via voice input, the audio system of my 08 528i completely failed. It appeared that the radio did switch to weatherband, but there was no sound. So, I tried switching through all audio sources - still no sound. Plus, the "voice input" button on the steering wheel stopped responding(although it really only works about 90% of the time).

I tried everything I could to force the car to make some kind of sound through the speakers. I tried to adjusting volume/tone/balance/fade - nothing. Then, I set a speed limit, no luck. The car would show "LIMIT" in the display, but no sound. I even turned off the car at the light and restarted. Still no sound. Finally, when I got to work and opened the doors with the key in the ignition, no sound. Just the key symbol. Since I was early to work, I decided to turn off the car and wait a few minutes. I restarted the car a few minutes later, and the audio system definitely worked - it took a minute or two after starting the car and WHAM - the radio came on at full blast to the point I hope it didn't blow the speakers.

Long story short, anyone else experienced this? As I said, sometimes the voice input button doesn't work, and plus the voice recognition system only works about 75% of the time. Does anyone think these issues might be related.

I have an appointment to take the car in Friday, at which time I hope they can also look into the really sour smell that comes when the AC is on. Hopefully just a dirty microfilter.

Thanks for your help,

Brad Cook
Old 04-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2006 model w/ Nav

I had something similar happen. Did the iDrive controller spin around and around when this happened? If so, you may want to try pressing the volume button in and pressing the CD eject button at the same time....hold both switches in for about 5 seconds...this will reset the iDrive. I have to do this on mine from time to time....
Old 04-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Jet Black 528i Navigation, heated seats, premium

My iDrive is the 08', which spins around and around all the time(no force feedback). Is that what you mean? Thanks a bunch for the reset tip. I'm going to the dealership tomorrow for maintenance, and I am going to have them look at the system. Because still the voice recog. only works 50% of the time(funny I just responded to another post you made regarding the crappy voice. recog). It get really irritated that most of the time the voice recog. responds "options". AAHHH-AAAH. So irritating!

Do you think iDrive, voice recog. and audio are all controlled by the same computer?

BTW, thanks for your help.