E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Comparison Test: BMW 530i Vs Mercedes Benz E350 Vs Lexus GS450h Vs Aud

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, M-Sport Bodykit, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, Active Steering.

All, this is how the E60 is viewed by some of our Australian Motoring Journalists when they rate it against the competiton.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleD...articleID=64681

"This 530i felt nervous, bouncy and unsettled any time it encountered a winding, bumpy road. There was little sense of being at one with the road; more that it was tip-toeing across the top of the bitumen. It was not aided by BMW's active steering system, which adjusts the steering ratio according to speed."

And here is how they describe the styling of our cars...
"Styling is subjective but none of the test crew liked the look of the BMW, even six years after it first appeared.

The long, narrow headlights don't seem to fit with the body and the slashes and creases are out of step with the kidney grille. The 17-inch wheels look small under the guards. The rump is big and the obvious panel gaps appear agricultural rather than luxurious."

And when compared with the Mercedes E350...

"The E-Class was the fourth and final contestant to be driven on our handling circuit with four testers on board and was the first to deal with it without issue. The ride was firm yet yielding, the grip level convincing and the steering crisp and compelling. Not only was this car a better drive than any previous E-Class, it also outshone the equivalent BMW, something we've perhaps never suggested before.

Has anyone driven the new E-Class?

The verdict also amuses me...

VERDICT

The Audi is good on price and equipment, has a responsive engine and offers a decent interior; but it just doesn't do a good enough job of shielding its occupants from the outside world. It is in need of regeneration.

Uncharacteristically, the BMW fails to involve the driver in the way good BMWs usually do. Better tyres may remedy that but there's not much you can do about the interior's limited storage and other foibles. The Lexus takes a leaf from traditional BMWs by looking after the driver more so than any other occupant. It's also a technological tour de force, albeit one whose merits are widely debated.

However, if you spend your time commuting and don't have to carry many passengers or luggage, this is a really appealing saloon. But the Mercedes-Benz E350 stands clearly ahead of its three rivals here. It pays respect to its heritage, yet manages to improve its value for money and be as good to drive as any mainstream Benz. Fuel use was on the high side but there was much here to like and little else to loath.

Benz hasn't always got its new products right during the past decade. But here is evidence that it is freeing its head of distractions. The result is there to be seen in the new E-Class, undoubtedly the best mid-sized luxury car in the world today. For more on these cars, go to drive.com.au/comparison
Old 08-07-2009, 06:39 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

In bmw's defence, it is being compared to updated models of the other cars. I would like to see them do this same comparison once the f10 arrives.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

I test drove the 2010 E550 sport edition a few weeks ago. I had driven the E class before I pulled the trigger on my '07 550i and didn't like it at all. Very floaty in the twisties and the seats were horrible.

The 2010 model is nothing like the prior version. The suspension is much tighter, the steering much more responsive and the seats are much more comfortable. The seats in the car I drove had heating/cooling as well as a control for dynamic adjustment of the bolsters and even massage. The car was very quick - I would say quicker than my 550i. It doesn't have Active Steering or HUD available which are both options on my car that I love.

The car does not drive or handle like my 550i sport but it is not your grandfather' Mercedes.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6spd

To each their own I guess.

This is the first review I've read of the new E-Class that hasn't said it was the worst one to date. Everyone else that has tested the new one has said it to be appalling.

Also I didn't actually read the article but if thats just a regular E60 with no sport package it probably is pretty soft.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

The E39 and E60 have aged rather gracefully Vehicle appearance and design is pretty subjective from person to person, market to market. I am sure road quality is different from climate to climate, country to country too. Responsive handling and road feel is not for everyone or for every road condition. An E60 cruising at highway speeds in the US and Germany may not do so well on the streets of Sydney.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

yeah but what do these guys know about cars?
Attached Thumbnails Comparison Test: BMW 530i Vs Mercedes Benz E350 Vs Lexus GS450h Vs Aud-paul_hogan_as_michael_j_crocodile_dundee.jpg  
Old 08-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Members

My Ride: V

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='968564' date='Aug 7 2009, 11:27 AM
LOL!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by mnmike' post='968508' date='Aug 7 2009, 08:59 AM
To each their own I guess.

This is the first review I've read of the new E-Class that hasn't said it was the worst one to date. Everyone else that has tested the new one has said it to be appalling.

Also I didn't actually read the article but if thats just a regular E60 with no sport package it probably is pretty soft.

I would venture to say it was a not a sport model, judging by the chrome trim. However, they did make a dig at Active Steering. I'm curious...One last thing. do they not sell the 550 or 535 in Australia? Is comparing the E350 to the 530 a fair comparison?

Old 08-08-2009, 05:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

No Sport suspension on the 530i. Seriously... that alone should make their article useless to the enthusiast, so why get hung up on it?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='968564' date='Aug 7 2009, 12:27 PM

Exactly, finally someone said it, and the answer is NOTHING!!

Every other known car show (Car & Driver, Top Speed, Top Gear, etc) have rated BMW best aout of the three rivals (BMW, AUDI, M.

I say Australians just stay with Kangaroos and not get into cars...

Quick Reply: Comparison Test: BMW 530i Vs Mercedes Benz E350 Vs Lexus GS450h Vs Aud