E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Comfortness vs. looks

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Oh man the modding bug has bitten me too !

At first it was M-tech kit and shadowline.
Now I'm considering Eibach Pro-Kit and 19" wheels.

So can you tell your own experiences about going from comfort ride (OEM) towards not-so-comfort to achieve better looks. What have you done? Have you had any bad decisions? I really am waiting for some opinions from you who have gone from non-sport with 18"s to Eibach Pro-Kit and 19"s.

Thanks!

ps. What say you about my ride height with 18"s? We have some heavy snow conditions during winters (Finnish summer is short but light snowed they say ) and I would like to maintain the practicality of my car.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

eibach gives the closest ride to stock and is not harsh at all. when I had my 19s, i felt just a bit sportier ride with the pro-kits in comparison to the non-sport stock springs and the comfort level never really changed. we carry wheels too. let me know if you are still interested and if I can help
Old 06-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='606885' date='Jun 20 2008, 02:05 PM
Oh man the modding bug has bitten me too !

At first it was M-tech kit and shadowline.
Now I'm considering Eibach Pro-Kit and 19" wheels.

So can you tell your own experiences about going from comfort ride (OEM) towards not-so-comfort to achieve better looks. What have you done? Have you had any bad decisions? I really am waiting for some opinions from you who have gone from non-sport with 18"s to Eibach Pro-Kit and 19"s.

Thanks!

ps. What say you about my ride height with 18"s? We have some heavy snow conditions during winters (Finnish summer is short but light snowed they say ) and I would like to maintain the practicality of my car.

I went from 18" run flats stock sport suspension to Eibach Pro-kit and 19" wheels. I can definitely say the handling is tighter and the ride is actually softer. Riding on run flat 18" is like stone wheels Fred Flinstone used back in the day. Good thing we dont have to stick our feet through the floor board to stop!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Thanks guys!

NeRwEEzy, sure I'm still interested. I just have to consider this out.
And for IceyTys, I have never driven runflats so I can't compare.

Others too, please tell your stories and thoughts about comforts.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Members

Going from 18s to 19s won't really change the ride that much. You will feel more of the road but the difference is minimal.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:55 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5

I've *heard* that Eibach's give a better ride than H&R's. I have H&R's with 19s non-run flats. The ride from OEM to H&R is a little bit stiffer on bad roads. On normal roads, it's almost the same.

What I really believe is that a lower car needs a stiffer setup to prevent bottoming out the bump stops, as the travel is greatly reduced. Sure a spring can be more comfortable at a lower ride height, but as with EVERY MOD, there is a comprimise. Lower = Bumpier. Lower & Softer = Better ride, slightly more roll and chances of bottoming. Lower and Stiffer = slightly less roll, squat and dive and less chance of bottoming.

IMO, the H&R's are right at the threshold for comfort, even when transporting older folk and females.... never had a complaint.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

think it looks nice in the pics you displayed. Do not see a need to change it. The more metal and less rubber the harsher the ride, but, better handling. Everytime you go up in wheel size you are decreasing the amount of rubber on the side wall which cushions the ride..
Old 06-21-2008, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Martin525i' post='607195' date='Jun 21 2008, 04:41 PM
think it looks nice in the pics you displayed. Do not see a need to change it. The more metal and less rubber the harsher the ride, but, better handling. Everytime you go up in wheel size you are decreasing the amount of rubber on the side wall which cushions the ride..
Thanks.
Yes I'm aware of causal relations, just curious to know how big is the difference from 18"-> 19". Minimal I guess.
The gap between the rear tire and fender is about 5,5cm (2,17"). 4cm in front (1,6"). To me it looks allright with my current 18"s, but don't know with possible 19"s.
Member Ricracing hasn't got the sport package either, and 19" 172M's look fine. But Suchet's 166's leave a big gap. Here's a comparation. Maybe it's because different angles in pics.

Huh this is hard. I feel the pain many of you seem to suffer so often .

ps. found out "comfortness" isn't a word ! Sorry about that...
Old 06-21-2008, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='606890' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:10 PM
eibach gives the closest ride to stock and is not harsh at all. when I had my 19s, i felt just a bit sportier ride with the pro-kits in comparison to the non-sport stock springs and the comfort level never really changed. we carry wheels too. let me know if you are still interested and if I can help

wait so if i got sport suspension and go with eibachs my ride height will be the same?
or your just saying the ride comfortability?
Old 06-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nasty50' post='607216' date='Jun 21 2008, 05:44 PM
wait so if i got sport suspension and go with eibachs my ride height will be the same?
or your just saying the ride comfortability?
I have understood that going from stock non-sport to Eibachs, the drop is 3cm. Going from sport suspension, the drop will be approx. 0,5" front/rear.

Quick Reply: Comfortness vs. looks