E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Comfort Seats or Sport Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 04:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530D Reg 18th Sept 2003 (uk launch date) xenons, wood, mirror pack, 17" rims, Hi Fi spkr, Met Black On Order 530D M Sport Auto Silver Grey Visibility & Media Packs Wood & Lumber Support

just out of interest why should we order lumbar support with the sports seat.
I've got a uk stock 530d M Sport coming next week and this had been specified with the lumbar support option which I thought was kind of odd but reading this it sounds like it's a pretty common option.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:31 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

Yeah, even a token discount would show a willingness to do something for the PAYING customer. You know, you go to a restaurant and order a salad and it's $3.50, but if you order it with the meal it's $1.50.. Not trying to compare here, but the concept applies. It may be that the difference IS $1200 bucks, but say so, don't just say "you pay or you don't get".

BMW is used to put out a product and we blindly buy it. We bitch but we buy it. Great product, don't get me wrong, but we all read the comments and some things just do not make sense. Sometimes even business sense - take the wheels for instance. I'd be willing to pay 5K for a set of M wheels if I could get the ones I paid 60K+ for and that are supposed to come with the car as well, but they say no. So I take my business elsewhere, buy the wheels of my choice AND have my original wheels for a winter set - or whatever. BMW is out the 5K.

On the Lumbar support - I think BMWs are built different for each market. The Germans (Europeans - maybe?) pay for everything piecemeal. A "Normal" E60 comes with manual seats - MANUAL seats with a crank. The ones for the US market come with power seats standard. The lumbar support is part of the seat, not an option.

And not to nitpick your numbers but how can the Sport Seats cost $3800 when the WHOLE Sport Package is $2300.

Finally, you're absolutely right about the stuff that overlaps. They cut you no slack on any of it.

Best Regards
Old 11-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I prefer the sports seats, its a must if you like driving sporty
Old 11-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

You are right that in theory one should get a comfort seat discount with the sport package. Blame BMW not the dealer. No rational dealer would want to take that hit and shouldn't have to.

When I ordered my comfort seats, I too noticed the price descrepency with the sport pack. However, at the end of the day one must evaluate the added benefit vs. the sport seat and I felt the extra $1,200 was worth it.

Don't get too hung up on what should be vs. what is.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by doug_999' date='Nov 3 2005, 01:38 AM
Here is what I know
There are no 5-series cars here in the Chicago with Comfort Seats.? I sat in an X5 4.8 that had them and while they were very nice, their side bolsters did not seem to hold you in like the sport seats (rumor has it they are adjustable, but I could not find the adjustment).

The sport seats in the 550 feel perfect - just perfect.

However, several posts on this board seem to indicate that people just love these seats.? Can anyone comment on this with a comparison to the sport seats?
[snapback]192822[/snapback]

I hate the sport seats, the left side bolster causes pain on my thigh when left foot rests on dead pedal
Old 11-03-2005, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Exclamation

Comfort Seats are misnamed. They should be called Sport Seats Plus.
Comfort Seats will hold you every bit as tight as the Sport Seats (the side bolsters on the backrest keep you very snug - and it is way cool when you turn off the car and they release you).
Plus the Comfort Seats adjust more ways (the upper back articulation is a must-have feature).
You will not regret getting Comfort Seats.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Members

I have both.....comfort in a 530xiT and sport in my 545i.
The confort seats are better for hard cornering due to the fact that you can squeeze yourself in nice and tight with the adjustable side bolsters. With the sport seats I have to brace myself firmly against the door for hard right handers......not so with the comfort seats properly adjusted.

However, the sport seats are easier for me to dial in a comfortable position....most likely due to the fact that the comfort seats almost have too many ways to adjust them.

It's a toss up for me really.

Oddly though the two sets of seats are oppositely named in my opinion.
Sports seats=most comfortable for me
Comfort seats=greatest grip while driving.....uh....sporty.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Nov 3 2005, 03:12 AM
[quote name='sapkan' date='Nov 3 2005, 01:27 AM']If you are a sporty driver get the sport seats + lumbar support, if you prefer comfort go for the comfort ones but beware they are flatter so your bum would slide more in the tighter bends?
[snapback]192831[/snapback]
Agree!
[snapback]192865[/snapback]
[/quote]

Disagree! No slide with the comfort seats, if you'd tried them you would know.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

Agree with swajames.

Comfort seats with fully-narrowed side bolsters provide great support even for slender people. First car I have owned where I don't need to brace my leg against the door in corners - and I have always ordered sport seats.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca' date='Nov 3 2005, 09:31 AM
Yeah, even a token discount would show a willingness to do something for the PAYING customer.? You know, you go to a restaurant and order a salad and it's $3.50, but if you order it with the meal it's $1.50..? Not trying to compare here, but the concept applies.? It may be that the difference IS $1200 bucks, but say so, don't just say "you pay or you don't get".

BMW is used to put out a product and we blindly buy it.? We bitch but we buy it. Great product, don't get me wrong, but we all read the comments and some things just do not make sense.? Sometimes even business sense - take the wheels for instance.? I'd be willing to pay 5K for a set of M wheels if I could get the ones I paid 60K+ for and that are supposed to come with the car as well, but they say no.? So I take my business elsewhere, buy the wheels of my choice AND have my original wheels for a winter set - or whatever.? BMW is out the 5K.

On the Lumbar support - I think BMWs are built different for each market.? The Germans (Europeans - maybe?) pay for everything piecemeal.? A "Normal" E60 comes with manual seats - MANUAL seats with a crank.? The ones for the US market come with power seats standard.? The lumbar support is part of the seat, not an option.

And not to nitpick your numbers but how can the Sport Seats cost $3800 when the WHOLE Sport Package is $2300.

Finally, you're absolutely right about the stuff that overlaps.? They cut you no slack on any of it.

Best Regards
[snapback]192925[/snapback]
The sport seats cost $3800 but you are not getting the $3200 standard seats so the difference is $600.....

The wheels issue is absolutely ridiculous. Unless they are saying that the M wheels really cost $7000 and the stock wheels are $2000 - hence the $5000 cost.

Quick Reply: Comfort Seats or Sport Seats?