E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Comfort Seats or Sport Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Here is what I know
There are no 5-series cars here in the Chicago with Comfort Seats. I sat in an X5 4.8 that had them and while they were very nice, their side bolsters did not seem to hold you in like the sport seats (rumor has it they are adjustable, but I could not find the adjustment).

The sport seats in the 550 feel perfect - just perfect.

However, several posts on this board seem to indicate that people just love these seats. Can anyone comment on this with a comparison to the sport seats?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

If you are a sporty driver get the sport seats + lumbar support, if you prefer comfort go for the comfort ones but beware they are flatter so your bum would slide more in the tighter bends?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

Having driven nomral seat, sport seats and comfort seats: take the comfort ones. The upper backrest setting is very efficient and you can adjust the lateral bolster very well.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Senior Members

The side bolsters can be adjusted via two small square buttons on the panel at the side of the seat (where all the rest of the seat adjustments are located)
Old 11-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Senior Members

Get in a 7 series and check them out.

I thought the side bolsters on the comfort seats were/are better than the sport seats. When I first got my car I had a computer problem and drove a loaner for 2 weeks - the loaner had sport seats. For my body (6"1' 185#) the comfort seat side bolsters were better. I never saw the need for bolsters for my thigh/bum - my legs are working when I am driving enthusiastically.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sapkan' date='Nov 3 2005, 01:27 AM
If you are a sporty driver get the sport seats + lumbar support, if you prefer comfort go for the comfort ones but beware they are flatter so your bum would slide more in the tighter bends?
[snapback]192831[/snapback]
Agree!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:50 AM
NES
Members

Comfort seast by far. Coming from an e39 with sport seats I thought I had the best for what I was after. Presently speaking, my comfort seats can do what the sport can do and so much more. Comfort seats are now a "must have" option for me with any future BMW purchases.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sapkan' date='Nov 3 2005, 09:27 AM
If you are a sporty driver get the sport seats + lumbar support[...]
[snapback]192831[/snapback]
I have sport seats and I like them but I don't have lumbar support. I wonder if this can be installed. Any ideas?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:06 AM
New Members

My Ride: Rides: 1992 525i (Sold), 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (Sold), Everett-Morrison Cobra - built 1998, 2005 Nissan Frontier Pick Up (daily driver)

I just ordered my 550i and I had questions about the seats as well. I have also heard from many of you who had Comfort Seats and how much you liked them and I was ready to go for them. It came down to a question of "fit" and BMW's "unwillingness" to adjust the price of Comfort Seats WITH the Sports Package.

The "fit" part is I ordered a Sport Package and I'd want a firmer - yet VERY comfortable and supporting seat. I didn't want the Sport Package and then go ahead a put a couch in there so it'd be the most comfortable. I have it from a very reliable source - someone who tests BMWs for a living - that there's nothing wrong with a good sport seat, even after a thousand mile drive.

The "unwillingness" part came from BMW dismissing the fact that I was spending $2300 on a Sport package which included upgraded seats and expecting me to pay an additonal $1200 on top for the comfort seats. It wasn't THAT important.

Had they said "The comfort seats are 1200 bucks, but when ordered in conjunction with the Sports package, they're 300 bucks.." or whatever the difference would be. They just gave me the "...well, it's a different seat..." No shit, I know that, but don't expect me to just roll over 'cause I wanted them.

I even said if I pay for the Sports Package AND pay for comfort seats on top, the sports seats better be coming in a box when the car is delivered. They - of course - did not agree to that. They were happy to take my money but not give me what I paid for. No gracias. Same with Wheels. I'd wanted the 89 style wheels, and if I paid so much for them would I get the original wheels as well? They said "no". So I didn't get either. :thumbsdown: I'll get the wheels elsewhere AND keep my 124s

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...
Old 11-03-2005, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by santiago fonseca' date='Nov 3 2005, 07:06 AM
I just ordered my 550i and I had questions about the seats as well.? I have also heard from many of you who had Comfort Seats and how much you liked them and I was ready to go for them.? It came down to a question of "fit" and BMW's "unwillingness" to adjust the price of Comfort Seats WITH the Sports Package.

The "fit" part is I ordered a Sport Package and I'd want a firmer - yet VERY comfortable and supporting seat.? I didn't want the Sport Package and then go ahead a put a couch in there so it'd be the most comfortable.? I have it from a very reliable source - someone who tests BMWs for a living - that there's nothing wrong with a good sport seat, even after a thousand mile drive.

The "unwillingness" part came from BMW dismissing the fact that I was spending $2300 on a Sport package which included upgraded seats and expecting me to pay an additonal $1200 on top for the comfort seats.? It wasn't THAT important.

Had they said "The comfort seats are 1200 bucks, but when ordered in conjunction with the Sports package, they're 300 bucks.." or whatever the difference would be.? They just gave me the? "...well, it's a different seat..."? No shit, I know that, but don't expect me to just roll over 'cause I wanted them.?

I even said if I pay for the Sports Package AND pay for comfort seats on top, the sports seats better be coming in a box when the car is delivered.? They - of course - did not agree to that. They were happy to take my money but not give me what I paid for.? No gracias.? Same with Wheels.? I'd wanted the 89 style wheels, and if I paid so much for them would I get the original wheels as well?? They said "no".? So I didn't get either.? :thumbsdown:? I'll get the wheels elsewhere AND keep my 124s

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...
[snapback]192884[/snapback]
All fair points.

But really, comfort seats cost about $5000 as opposed to $3800 for sport seats and maybe $3200 for the stock seats (cost being very subjective here) so you shouldn't expect to pay $1800 and get the sport seats. You should get a discount of $400 or so off of the comfort seats - even just a token $200 would make it easier to swallow.

You do get the short shaft for loading the car with packages that overlap.

Quick Reply: Comfort Seats or Sport Seats?