E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

comfort seats lateral support ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 Z3 3.0, Sports Package, Winter Package, 5-SpeedHard Top [built: pick up in Munich on 5.17.06] ED 2007 550i 6-speed (sapphire black/black dakota leather): sports package; active stearing, hud/nav, logic 7, cold weather package, rear heated seats, rear folding seat, power shades, comfort access, sat radio

Hi,

I've been lurking for some time, and appreciate this great forum... I've learnt a lot -- primarily that my dealer isn't aware of the myriad of options available to me. I've done some reading / searching but haven't found answers to my satisfaction for a few questions, so I thought I'd start a couple of threads with each of my queries. (Thanks in advance.)

Q: I've read a lot of people that love the comfort seats. I'm curious to know if people consider them an upgrade/superset over the sports seats; or, if rather, there is a trade-off involved? In my Z3 3.0 I have sports seats and love the lateral support.... in the Z3 the "comfort seats" == "plain ordinary seats". Is the question here: do you want sporty and supportive vs. cushy and comfortable? Or is the question simply: can you afford to upgrade to the comfort seats, and is it worth it to you?

Relatedly a couple of option questions (for the US market):
1) can I get the comfort seats despite getting the sports package? is there a cost?
2) can we get the ventilated seats and / or the message seats? do those require comfort seats or sports seats? What are the costs for these features?
Old 11-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, kfarouki ! if you go to kbb.com, it'll help you configure your car and tells you both msrp and invoice prices. or you can simply go to bmw's site .
Old 11-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, kfarouki !
Old 11-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Members

Welcome kfarouki to the best E60 forum anywhere
Old 11-08-2004, 02:14 AM
Senior Members

Since I just had a loaner (2 weeks) with sport seats, I am in a good position to know. There is absolutely no trade-off. Comfort seats have superior lateral support since it is adjustable. Better thigh support (unless it was an 04/05 thing). Far better headrest. Articulating back - love that.

The sport seat is a little harder if you like that.

They cost the full $1200, even with a sport package. Kind of wierd and unfair esp with lumbar being standard now on a 545.

Vented seats are avail in US but not massage as far as I can tell. It requires Nasca leather (on top of dakota leather - again unfair pricing).

I skipped the Nasca/vented b/c you can't get anthracite with it - another strange package option issue....

What is BMWNA smoking?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:59 AM
Senior Members

With the last 5 (the E39), there was definately a trade-off, especially lateral support. That's why I didn't order it on my E60. That was a mistake!

I agree that the E60's comfort seats are not as firm as the sport seats, but the lateral support is now better (especially because the wings are adjustable and flatten upon exit). I wish I had them . . .
Old 11-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Contributors

What he said ^^
Old 11-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

If you're looking for lateral support, comfort seats are the way to go. The side bolsters are adjustable, so you can set them to give you as much support as you want - very nice if you're doing some active driving.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The comfort seats are great!
Old 11-09-2004, 04:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

My only regret is not getting the Comfort Seats or HUD. Sport seats aren't bad but the comfort seats are so much better.

Quick Reply: comfort seats lateral support ?