E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Comfort access and key fobs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a "new to me" E60 with comfort access. One of the 2 key fobs works as expected (proximity) but the second one doesn't. Is this normal.... In that there's only one omfort access fob? They are identical in appearance.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550 -- Dinan Stage 1 (fully loaded) -------------------------------------------- 1. Dinan Free Flow Exhaust 2. Dinan High Flow Intake 3. Dinan Stage 3 Software 4. Dinan Shock Braces 5. Dinan Strut Braces 6. Dinan Throttle Body 7. Dinan Stage 1 Suspension 8. Black kidney grills 9. HRE Performance Rims (P40s in textured black) 10. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

Does the non-functioning key fob allow you to start the car (make sure the working fob is over 20 feet away from the vehicle)?

If it works, there's something wrong with the proximity function. If it doesn't work, try swapping the battery. You can get one at any Walgreens / CVS for $5 - 2032 battery. Take the metal key out of the fob, and you can pry open the back of the key (really easy and sounds worse than what it is). Swap batteries and try again. I change mine every 6 months or so as the fobs don't charge when inserted into the steering column.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ciphin
Does the non-functioning key fob allow you to start the car (make sure the working fob is over 20 feet away from the vehicle)?

If it works, there's something wrong with the proximity function. If it doesn't work, try swapping the battery. You can get one at any Walgreens / CVS for $5 - 2032 battery. Take the metal key out of the fob, and you can pry open the back of the key (really easy and sounds worse than what it is). Swap batteries and try again. I change mine every 6 months or so as the fobs don't charge when inserted into the steering column.
The second fob works fine, except it doesn't provide the proximity functionality. It works fine as a remote, and starts the car fine while plugged into the ignition. When you get the car, are there 2 fobs that provide the proximity functionality? Or do you only get one?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Both should function with the CA... Where did you get the car? The previous owner/seller may have bought a non-CA key as a less expensive back-up key to replace a lost key. Or better yet, have you tried changing the battery in the second key? CA fobs do not recharge and require a fresh battery periodically...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol
Both should function with the CA... Where did you get the car? The previous owner/seller may have bought a non-CA key as a less expensive back-up key to replace a lost key. Or better yet, have you tried changing the battery in the second key? CA fobs do not recharge and require a fresh battery periodically...
Thanks....maybe I will try swapping the batteries to see if that works. I assume that no info is lost on loss of power to the remote?

I didn't get the car from BMW but its still under warranty.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Did you replace the batteries? CA fobs do not recharge.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Did you replace the batteries? CA fobs do not recharge.
Nope - not yet. The remote functions fine, except for the CA function.... Would that still be fine if the battery was going? It locks/unlocks fine, trunk fine, starts car.

I sont have another battery so I was going to swap with the remote that does CA functions.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by JeffCharger
Thanks....maybe I will try swapping the batteries to see if that works. I assume that no info is lost on loss of power to the remote?

I didn't get the car from BMW but its still under warranty.
Yes, just replace the battery. It is a standard CR32 type watch battery available anywhere. No info will be lost as I recall but I have never actually replace the battery. The dealer has done it free on occasion when I mentioned the fob seemed to be functioning poorly...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Members

Here's my experience....
bought car
dealer ordered second fob
got fob and worked fine for non CA functions (buttons worked and would start car if inserted)
dealer programmed car/fob
fob worked as expected

So if not the battery may need some programming. Not sure if warrantee covers, might be a grey area depending how it is presented, i didn't pay anything
Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by JeffCharger
Nope - not yet. The remote functions fine, except for the CA function.... Would that still be fine if the battery was going? It locks/unlocks fine, trunk fine, starts car.

I sont have another battery so I was going to swap with the remote that does CA functions.
Pull the back casing off the fob and you'll find the battery. Head to your local Radio Shack and pick up a 3-pack for $10. I just did the same thing for my X5 and M5. Comfort Access started dying on both fobs for both cars, but I was still able to use the buttons on the fob to open and close the car manually (so annoying...LOLOLOL!). Keep us posted if this works.

Quick Reply: Comfort access and key fobs