5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Comfort Access Going Haywire (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/comfort-access-going-haywire-106296/)

Bdaddylo 11-06-2010 06:31 PM

I let my wife take the e60 to the mall and she call me saying that the trunk keeps opening while she's driving. Of course I thought it was driver error, but when she came home I verified the issue. The trunk seemed to have a mind of its own. When I would unlock the car by touching the door handle, the trunk would open as well. I repeated this 3-4 times. Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

luigi524td 11-06-2010 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo (Post 1265880)
I let my wife take the e60 to the mall and she call me saying that the trunk keeps opening while she's driving. Of course I thought it was driver error, but when she came home I verified the issue. The trunk seemed to have a mind of its own. When I would unlock the car by touching the door handle, the trunk would open as well. I repeated this 3-4 times. Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Maybe the trunk button on the comfort access fob is being 'touched' ... does your wife keep in in her pocket or pocketbook where one of the buttons might be bumped by accident.

I bought a leather cover for mine because in the first week I had my e60 I'd bump one of the buttons while the fob was in my pocket - and in one instance my windows were lowered and the moonroof opened and the alarm was triggered! Those buttons are very sensitive to the touch.

Rudy 11-06-2010 07:09 PM

Check to see if the rubber pad above the license plate (where you press to open the trunk) is pressed in or something. It sounds to me like maybe the microswitch behind the rubber pad is being held in...

mak213 11-06-2010 08:07 PM

ya just make sure nothing is touching the contact points , like for example when i wash my car the hose hitting the handles unlocks and locks my car

TAmes 11-06-2010 08:16 PM

Do you by chance have another key in the trunk? If your car senses a key in the trunk, the trunk will open on its own.

Rudy 11-06-2010 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Taylor (Post 1265905)
Do you by chance have another key in the trunk? If your car senses a key in the trunk, the trunk will open on its own.

Good point...

Bdaddylo 11-08-2010 06:59 AM

The issue went away by itself, but it still has me puzzled. There was only one set of keys in the car and my wife placed it the ashtray when she was driving.

I believe a stuck trunk switch, as Rudy mentioned, explains why the trunk opened when I unlocked the car. However, I still can't figure out how the trunk can open when the car is in motion as the automatic door locking feature should have prevented this even if the switch was stuck. :wacko:

Maybe my car is sexist or it has electrical gremlins. :confused: