E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Comfort Access

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530 xiT, ED, titanium gray, Sirius, Logic7, Nav, HUD, PDC, comfort access, comfort seats, butt warmers

For example:

-Is the key significantly larger than the regular key? (Will it tear a hole in a pants pocket, or not fit on a key ring?)

-How often does the battery in the key need to be replaced? How does this compare with the "regular" key?

-If the comfort access electronics die, is there any risk the car will be inoperable? Or is the system engineered in such a way that regular keyed access will always work?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by kurjan' post='257709' date='Mar 20 2006, 01:15 PM
For example:

-Is the key significantly larger than the regular key? (Will it tear a hole in a pants pocket, or not fit on a key ring?)

-How often does the battery in the key need to be replaced? How does this compare with the "regular" key?

-If the comfort access electronics die, is there any risk the car will be inoperable? Or is the system engineered in such a way that regular keyed access will always work?

#1 NO
#2 Same as without C/A
#3 There is a key inside the fob to unlock the doors, and then fob can be inserted into ignition just like without C/A
Old 03-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='257715' date='Mar 20 2006, 07:35 PM
#1 NO
#2 Same as without C/A
#3 There is a key inside the fob to unlock the doors, and then fob can be inserted into ignition just like without C/A

#2 is not correct: C/A works with a battery, which has to be replaced from time to time (once a year, bmw claims) the "normal" keyfob works with a accumulator which is charged through the ignition: there is no need to replace it (untill it eventually dies...)
Old 03-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5, Silver Grey, Silverstone Full Leather, Alumium trim, Active/Ventilated Comfort Seats, HUD, Comfort Access, Split Rear Seats, Rear Seat Heating, etc.

Originally Posted by denuyl' post='257840' date='Mar 20 2006, 04:21 PM
#2 is not correct: C/A works with a battery, which has to be replaced from time to time (once a year, bmw claims) the "normal" keyfob works with a accumulator which is charged through the ignition: there is no need to replace it (untill it eventually dies...)
The C/A keyfob needs to be *recharged* from time to time, but I have not heard of it needing to replaced, at least not that often... You recharge the keyfob by sticking it in key slot like a regular key. Although, I've only had mine for a month, so what do I know...
Old 03-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The C/A keyfob needs to be *recharged* from time to time, but I have not heard of it needing to replaced, at least not that often... You recharge the keyfob by sticking it in key slot like a regular key. Although, I've only had mine for a month, so what do I know...

Incorrect.

The Comfort Access key uses a normal battery, not a rechargable one. It must be replaced every so often. BMW should replace the battery as part of scheduled maintenance.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Contributors

glad we got a straight answer!

:'(
Old 03-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 06 550-6spd

SubterFUSE is correct. CA keyfob does not recharge like non-CA keyfob and requires battery replacement.

Think about it - main feature of CA is that keyfob can stay in your pocket or purse. With that as CA's raison d'etre, what sense would it make to require that it be charged in the key slot.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kurjan' post='257709' date='Mar 20 2006, 02:15 PM
For example:

The main disadvantage of Comfort Access as I see it...The $1,000 to get it. I can press a button to get in my car. Not getting this, covers half of my Night Vision option.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

found a big disadvantage this weekend with my friends cadillac

he wanted to show me the new STS - gave me the keys and told me to put in my pocket - which I did
Then got into his car - started it - drove it around - then left it running for him and got into my bimmer and went home

got a call an hour later from a bar - he was stuck outside of his car - with the alarm going off - and I had his keys at home in my pocket

had to drive to the bar at 2am to give him the keys
Old 03-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

Originally Posted by Veight' post='257894' date='Mar 20 2006, 10:11 PM
The main disadvantage of Comfort Access as I see it...The $1,000 to get it. I can press a button to get in my car. Not getting this, covers half of my Night Vision option.
It's all depends... for me the Night Vision will be the biggest waste of money (well... after the active cruise control... )...

To each his own...

Quick Reply: Comfort Access