E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Color matching the paint no matching very well

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with AchtungE60. Disputing the credit card charge will not get your car in a condition you want. If the color difference is really bothering you, you will need to get it redone.

If you decide disputing the charge, I suggest taking photos of the color difference and sending them along with the dispute application. If the paint job is really as bad as you say, there should be no issues. However, keep in mind that the cc company will only dispute charges so many times before they begin fraud investigation. So, every time you do this, it better be worth it.

BTW - what is "de-nib"? Also, can you post some photos?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by Only Bimmers
A friend of mine did a bunch of research before having his car repainted. It turn out that BMW paint is very high quality and tightly controlled to match exactly no matter what batch you may get. This is made by 3M/Glasurit in Europe. It is very expensive to purchase, and hard to work with compared to other options out there. This is why body shops always go with a different brand. Problem is unless they are really good, this is what you get. You have to paint the entire car. No matter what the body shop says, unless they are using OEM, its not the OEM color nor quality. Although some shops do a darn good job matching it.
+1 Spot on! Other brands match, some better than others but not always perfect. Some require various techniques to hide the color mismatch like blending etc. A good shop will normally go with a good brand that they have proven and if they mix their own paint there is another source of a possible error to be introduced. But on the other hand, they often will have the knowhow to tint and tweak the paint to get a closure match.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Ah, now I see what you are calling de-nibbing. I actually assumed you meant some kind of fibers etc on the parts that needed to be removed prior to paining. I would tell these clowns that they need to de-nib their crap! It was their dirty shop that allowed for these nibs. In plain english, I would refer to it as TRASH in the paint! It came from their shop and you expect it to be removed. This requires them to color sand the part and polish them. There is only two ways for them. Invest in proper equipment that ensure a CLEAN job, or sand and polish their work afterwards. It's simple...
Old 08-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Here:
Gene Perez Auto Body 813-239-3616.
They painted my brother's ferrari and friend's lambo. they've done some odds and ends work for me in the past. talk to them about paint. they make/mix in-house and do a spray match.
They are recommended by all of the high end dealers around.
I'm sure one of their painters will have no problem talking to you.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Members

You're in California. Just file a complaint with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. http://www.bar.ca.gov/

In fact, just mention to the owner that you're going to file the complaint with the BAR. He might realize that he has to make it right or else the BAR will come knocking at his door.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

Originally Posted by jcantanixon
You're in California. Just file a complaint with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. http://www.bar.ca.gov/

In fact, just mention to the owner that you're going to file the complaint with the BAR. He might realize that he has to make it right or else the BAR will come knocking at his door.
claim filed. thanks
Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by jgt
Color matching light colors especially white is always tough.
Maybe they were just inexperienced or they tried a few times and just said fuck it. Who knows.
CC should refund the cash pretty quickly. Good luck,
If they're truly being dicks you can always file a complaint with the BBB.
I should have researched this member before I did business with him. I'm out $415. I sold him my customer kick panel, speaker and digital capacitor and he broke it and then filed a CC complaint saying I shipped it to him broken. So $375 out plus the $40 to ship it to him AND he's Keeping the items. Gotta love dishonest people and credit cards. No wonder people are living under bridges.

Anyone else have any issues with this member?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

That sux. Keep this post up top so everyone will read it.

Last edited by tonyb635; 10-04-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

Sounds like he has became quite an expert on filing CC complaints to get his money returned. Karma...
Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Rez
Members

My Ride: PHINEASS. 2008 535i Alpine White/ Light Beige Dakota/ Dark Poplar with Sports, Premium, Navigation, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, Satellite Radio, Ipod & USB, Legal Tinted, All Weather Front, Rear and Trunk mats, Detailed and Clay Treated.
Model Year: 2008

Just talk to the Insurance Company and let them know that you don't want to go back to that body shop.

Quick Reply: Color matching the paint no matching very well