E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cold Weather Startup Sequences

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats
Red face

I've heard varying opinions on this so I'll put you guys to the polls...

On a typical cold frigid day, do you start your car and let the engine idle/warm up OR do you just drive off [which is what the manual reccommends].

Common sense dictates that lubrciation isn't the greatest so driving off may cause premature wear....don't know what the experts on this forum think!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='783946' date='Feb 3 2009, 06:25 AM
I've heard varying opinions on this so I'll put you guys to the polls...

On a typical cold frigid day, do you start your car and let the engine idle/warm up OR do you just drive off [which is what the manual reccommends].

Common sense dictates that lubrciation isn't the greatest so driving off may cause premature wear....don't know what the experts on this forum think!
I usually wait until the red line limiter goes as high as maybe 5.5 (approx 1000 rpm) before i take off, so although the car is not completely warm, I do wait until the fluids start flowing before I blast out!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:39 AM
ADD
Senior Members

I usually "wait", if you call it that, while I click my seat belt, get situated etc. which is all of about 15 sec. This gives the fluids some time to at least "get around" before putting in gear and driving.

That said, the reason the manual recos to not let the car warm up at idle is for environmental reasons. Engines give off the most pollutants while in the warm up stage, and the fastest way to get the engine warm is by driving. Sure it may be worse for the car, but it's better for the environment!

I usually drive for the first few miles with not over 2000 to 2500 rpms, or until the heater fan revs up and starts blowing. That usually signals that there is sufficient heat in the system to blow warm air. Not a perfect measure of engine temp, but better than nothing, I guess.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADD' post='783956' date='Feb 3 2009, 07:39 AM
I usually "wait", if you call it that, while I click my seat belt, get situated etc. which is all of about 15 sec. This gives the fluids some time to at least "get around" before putting in gear and driving.

That said, the reason the manual recos to not let the car warm up at idle is for environmental reasons. Engines give off the most pollutants while in the warm up stage, and the fastest way to get the engine warm is by driving. Sure it may be worse for the car, but it's better for the environment!

I usually drive for the first few miles with not over 2000 to 2500 rpms, or until the heater fan revs up and starts blowing. That usually signals that there is sufficient heat in the system to blow warm air. Not a perfect measure of engine temp, but better than nothing, I guess.

+1 this is exactly my routine
Old 02-03-2009, 05:10 AM
Contributors

with modern lubricants your good to go from the moment you start your car up.
obviously to prevent wear and tear its best not to cane it straight away.

but the car is not as fragile as you might think.
diesels fair a little better as our fuel is a lubricant also.

just my oppinion
Old 02-03-2009, 05:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

initial cold start in the mornings I usually wait till the cars revs come down before I start, usually when I start the car in the morning the revs are at about 1000rpm then after about 30secs the revs come down to around 700rpm thats when I start driving but like someone else has said I drive without taking the car past 2000-2500 rpm until the dashed lines on the rpm gauge show that the vehicle is at full operating temp (usually only 2 white lines remain before the redline)
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 AM
Contributors

I always assumed it was bad to go at cold start. My engine is so much louder and things are just rickety when its brutal cold out and you just start it up. After its warm you can't even hear the car. Its like getting up in the morning all tired. You look like shit until you shower, shave, and fix your hair. Same with a car! I say give it a minute at least to warm up. =p
Old 02-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Members

I start the engine wait about 10 min and then drive off, but even after 10 min I don't exceed 2000/2500 rpm's. I know you can just drive off, but i prefer to wait a bit

I can't just wake up, straight out of bed and start running
Old 02-03-2009, 05:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i

I usually start my car, Wait a few minutes then take off.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Members

It would take a very long time for an engine to actually warm up just be idling and all the time you're sitting there wasting fuel. Better to get all the lubricants moving then driving off without revving it too much.
The 530D auto (and I guess all autos) actually hold onto gears longer before changing up when it's cold to speed the heating up process up.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Startup Sequences