E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is the cold bringing out error messages in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 535xi, and I just got back from school last night and into Chicago. As soon as I started my car, a flurry of error messages popped up; one was the TPM Low Pressure (although I reset it while I was driving and it never showed up again), the other was a the "brake" sign, but in red instead of the usual yellow when it starts up (hand brake was off), something about the brakes, and then it said the DSC/DTC and the AWD system was malfunctioning. Still, I drove for a bit, maybe 30 seconds, all the errors went away as the TPM was resetting, and nothing happened after that.

I've started the car about 5 times since last night and gone for about 30 min. drives each time and those errors never came up again. Now, in the Chi, it's about 20-30 degrees right now so I was thinking could the car being in a cold garage, being driven about 2 times a week by my dad to work, just have the computer glitching because of the cold? It hasn't happened since the first time I started it last night, when the car hadn't been driver for a couple of days. Could that be the reason, or should I go ahead and make a visit to the dealer?
Old 11-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Not sure how old your e60 is. But I would check the pressure in your tires just to be safe. Air will leak out slowly and the sensitivity of the TPM's will account for that. I noticed you just went ahead and reset the TPM's. Just for safety I would get the tires checked. My TPM warning goes off every 4-6 months, a quick air top-off does the trick. Really can't comment on any of the other error codes you got, but I hope they don't come back. GL and stay warm
Old 11-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

I had some weird error today stating that my steering wheel was locked and it asked me to turn the wheel before i could strt the car with the push button. woudlnt work several times. Then stuck key in and then it started.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

When this happened... is it possible that you were in a rush, so you opened the door jumped in and immediately started the car?

I did this once, so the CCC got feedback from applications whose programms were not started, so everything went on error.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='728660' date='Nov 22 2008, 05:48 PM
Not sure how old your e60 is. But I would check the pressure in your tires just to be safe. Air will leak out slowly and the sensitivity of the TPM's will account for that. I noticed you just went ahead and reset the TPM's. Just for safety I would get the tires checked. My TPM warning goes off every 4-6 months, a quick air top-off does the trick. Really can't comment on any of the other error codes you got, but I hope they don't come back. GL and stay warm
It's about 4 months old. Only has about 2400 miles on it, since I don't bring it with me to school and my dad drives it occasionally. Could a lack of driving the car be causing somethings to jam up in the cold or something?
Old 11-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I was driving alot chilling, then all these errors about seat belt restrait system critical failure. I don't know what the hell all of that was about, after I turned off the car it went away.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='728665' date='Nov 22 2008, 06:59 PM
When this happened... is it possible that you were in a rush, so you opened the door jumped in and immediately started the car?

I did this once, so the CCC got feedback from applications whose programms were not started, so everything went on error.

Oh, course I was in a rush. 3 months without it. But that might have caused it too. Since then, I have been more civil in getting into the car, waiting a bit, putting stuff in compartments and stuff. Hasn't happened since. That may have been it.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i / Black Sapphire / Premium / Navigation / Bluetooth / PDC / USB Audio Integration / 6 Speed Sport Automatic with Steptronic / Logic 7 / Comfort Access / Auto Folding Mirrors / Comfort Seats / Rear Heated Seats / 35% Tint All Around / Black Dakota Leather

Originally Posted by E60714' post='728659' date='Nov 22 2008, 05:44 PM
I have a 535xi, and I just got back from school last night and into Chicago. As soon as I started my car, a flurry of error messages popped up; one was the TPM Low Pressure (although I reset it while I was driving and it never showed up again), the other was a the "brake" sign, but in red instead of the usual yellow when it starts up (hand brake was off), something about the brakes, and then it said the DSC/DTC and the AWD system was malfunctioning. Still, I drove for a bit, maybe 30 seconds, all the errors went away as the TPM was resetting, and nothing happened after that.

I've started the car about 5 times since last night and gone for about 30 min. drives each time and those errors never came up again. Now, in the Chi, it's about 20-30 degrees right now so I was thinking could the car being in a cold garage, being driven about 2 times a week by my dad to work, just have the computer glitching because of the cold? It hasn't happened since the first time I started it last night, when the car hadn't been driver for a couple of days. Could that be the reason, or should I go ahead and make a visit to the dealer?

I got the same TPM low tire pressure on the rear right tire today on my brand new 535i. It was my first error message and I just reset the TPM. It disappeared after that. First really cold day here especially with the windchill.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:15 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

Originally Posted by E60714' post='728666' date='Nov 22 2008, 06:00 PM
Could a lack of driving the car be causing somethings to jam up in the cold or something?
Sounds like your battery isn't being charged enough due to a lack of use combined with the cold.