E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cold air only from vents

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Anybody know why I cant get hot air from any of my vents ( not only the rear)?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

PS I cant RTFM as I am not at home at the moment, my manual is there.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Do you have the automatic climate system (High) or do you have the manual one?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by ressla' post='498449' date='Nov 24 2007, 03:54 PM
Anybody know why I cant get hot air from any of my vents ( not only the rear)?
Have you gone into "Climate" via idrive and adjusted the vent temperature to toasty?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='498454' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:59 PM
Have you gone into "Climate" via idrive and adjusted the vent temperature to toasty?
will try that one!
Old 11-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='498453' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:58 PM
Do you have the automatic climate system (High) or do you have the manual one?
High
Old 11-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

In the Us you can only get "respectivly warm air from the upper vents" BMW did this as to not allow fatique to the driver. You can only get hot heat from the windshield vents and the floor vents. I really hate this feature because i love hot heat on my hands and face while driving. I am currently haveing a heat issue with my car I have little to no heat even after a 5 to 10 mile drive and car at normal operating temp. I can force hot air out of the vents by repeatly (2 or 3 ) times going from auto to manual and adjusting the vent settings only to the mid vents, but as I stated I still get little to no heat and I have when it does come out I have to have the dial set to the max temp any even 1 click up and air is cold again.

Dealer said it is working properly but there is no way that I should have to turn up the dials past 80 to get any heat out of the car and what i do get luke warm even out of the upper and lower vents.

Rhudy do you have a tis on the heat and ac system? My car is out of warrenty as of Oct so I don't want to just start dumping money already tech looked at the car and could not find a problem as he got the heat to work but that was after a extended idleing situation and a 70 plus degree day

29 degree mornings are something else
Old 11-24-2007, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by buddy' post='498693' date='Nov 25 2007, 01:22 AM
Rhudy do you have a tis on the heat and ac system? My car is out of warrenty as of Oct so I don't want to just start dumping money already tech looked at the car and could not find a problem as he got the heat to work but that was after a extended idleing situation and a 70 plus degree day

The following document has been in the technical gallery for quite some time:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?autocom=ga...si&img=6497

Does that help?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by buddy' post='498693' date='Nov 24 2007, 10:22 PM
In the Us you can only get "respectivly warm air from the upper vents" BMW did this as to not allow fatique to the driver. You can only get hot heat from the windshield vents and the floor vents......
That's not really true. I can get those vents to be as hot as the windshield and floor vents (really hot) by adjusting the iDrive "vent temperature" setting to all red lines with no blue and no white lines (I'm talking about the lines that the arrow is pointing at in the following picture). Note that this is NOT adjusted at the same time that you adjust the level of the mid vents. You actually have to highlight the mid vent setting and then PUSH the iDrive controller to the right. Once the lines are highlighted you can change the temp setting of the vent from all blue lines to a white line, and all the way to all red lines by turning the iDrive knob. If I remember correctly the maximum number of red lines you can set is 3. If that does not work for you then there must be a problem with the climate control system in your car because all red lines should make the air coming out of those vents really hot..

Cold air only from vents-vent_settings.jpg
Old 11-25-2007, 03:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by buddy' post='498693' date='Nov 25 2007, 06:22 AM
In the Us you can only get "respectivly warm air from the upper vents" BMW did this as to not allow fatique to the driver. You can only get hot heat from the windshield vents and the floor vents. I really hate this feature because i love hot heat on my hands and face while driving. I am currently haveing a heat issue with my car I have little to no heat even after a 5 to 10 mile drive and car at normal operating temp. I can force hot air out of the vents by repeatly (2 or 3 ) times going from auto to manual and adjusting the vent settings only to the mid vents, but as I stated I still get little to no heat and I have when it does come out I have to have the dial set to the max temp any even 1 click up and air is cold again.

Dealer said it is working properly but there is no way that I should have to turn up the dials past 80 to get any heat out of the car and what i do get luke warm even out of the upper and lower vents.

I only have the standard aircon controls but I've found that to get truly hot air from the vents you have to switch off the aircon button. You shouldn't have to - but you do.

Quick Reply: Cold air only from vents