E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Code Reader tool, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to get a Code reader for my 525xi and wanted to know what do you guys use? Don't want to buy one and be disappointed. If you can add the Code Reader model that'll be great.

Thanks,

Let me know.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Get a BT scan tool. The kind you buy at pep-boys will only do so much. But if you must buy one of the handheld models Actron makes a pretty decent one for a good price.

Best bet is to buy a K+Dcan cable off eBay and download INPA - reads and clears codes from every module in the car.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Sublime
Get a BT scan tool. The kind you buy at pep-boys will only do so much. But if you must buy one of the handheld models Actron makes a pretty decent one for a good price.

Best bet is to buy a K+Dcan cable off eBay and download INPA - reads and clears codes from every module in the car.
Do you know if that cable can do programming or coding?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Blackwolffm
Do you know if that cable can do programming or coding?
Can anyone hook me up with the INPA software? I downloaded 2 so far and the both corrupted (wasted my precious time)

Thanks
Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM
RTR
Members

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1833427 second post. If the password "help" doesn't work, try "INPA" or "inpa", don't recall what it is.

Also if you need just the basics, try http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727091, it's extremely easy, free for a basic version. Can read/clear codes and register a new battery. The code description didn't really work on the e60, but you get an error #.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Buying any scan tool is a waste of time. I did and wasted my time due to the inability to troubleshoot BMW proprietary codes. Then I cheaped out and bought some cables from China and downloaded INPA and so forth and just wasted many hours eventually I pulled the plug and bought some things from euautohaus and been using that stuff for years on my bimmers and it really did save a ton. Just yesterday I had to replace camshaft position sensors in both banks on my other bimmer. It would have cost me a ton if I didn't use my software to pinpoint it out to me.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 520i SE 2.2 Auto

@AchtungE60: what components did you buy? Does software come with them? Any information would be welcome.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by smurf520i
@AchtungE60: what components did you buy? Does software come with them? Any information would be welcome.

+1 @AchtungE60 that'll be great if you can share what exactly did u get.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Well, I ended up going through 3 cables and they ended up getting me into a new CAS module because they were junk China and Hong Kong POS that timed out on me. I bought one from someone in the U.K. and it was the same as the other two. So I lurked around. Although I spent a lot, I learned quite a bit frying that module! LOL
Anyway I ended up first getting something then upgraded it.
I ended up with this but they have others which are cheaper. For me this worked out well for my bimmers and I have a few friends that benefited from me choosing wisely too.

http://www.ebay.com/...ht_16920wt_1186

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet if you think about it, paying $150+ just on a dealer diagnosis per vehicle, this worked out well! I used it just think week to pinpoint some bad camshaft sensors and it was an easy and relatively inexpensive DIY for me. Dealer would have taken a good $500 out of my pocket.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Well, I ended up going through 3 cables and they ended up getting me into a new CAS module because they were junk China and Hong Kong POS that timed out on me. I bought one from someone in the U.K. and it was the same as the other two. So I lurked around. Although I spent a lot, I learned quite a bit frying that module! LOL
Anyway I ended up first getting something then upgraded it.
I ended up with this but they have others which are cheaper. For me this worked out well for my bimmers and I have a few friends that benefited from me choosing wisely too.

http://www.ebay.com/...ht_16920wt_1186

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet if you think about it, paying $150+ just on a dealer diagnosis per vehicle, this worked out well! I used it just think week to pinpoint some bad camshaft sensors and it was an easy and relatively inexpensive DIY for me. Dealer would have taken a good $500 out of my pocket.
$274 for a cable??!?!? ouch! There really isn't any good ones for around $100?

Quick Reply: Code Reader tool, anyone?