E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clutch Qestion

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Car is at 95K and clutch disc never replaced as far as I know. Last night I lost my clutch when I was driving on highway and forced to stop the car. I do notice that RPM was upping and dropping when accelerating and there was burning smell. I had to tow the car as it is not starting at all. When clutch disc is done do you loose pedal at the same time? or what else it could be except disc? Thx
Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i manual Monaco Blue-Sport Package-Cold Weather Package-Premium Package-Heated Rear Seats-PDC-Ipod Connectivity
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Margal
Car is at 95K and clutch disc never replaced as far as I know. Last night I lost my clutch when I was driving on highway and forced to stop the car. I do notice that RPM was upping and dropping when accelerating and there was burning smell. I had to tow the car as it is not starting at all. When clutch disc is done do you loose pedal at the same time? or what else it could be except disc? Thx
When I had my clutch go on two of my previous cars it was noticeable for a couple days where when I was accelerating in higher gears, the rpms would jump more than it would move (clutch was slipping) and you could smell a slight burning smell (very faint). When my friend had his go, his shattered so he lost the pedal completely and was unable to shift the vehicle (well he could do clutchless shifting but that's bad on the synchros).

So you actually had an issue with starting the car after? Anytime I've seen a clutch go the car can still be started. Did the pedal just stop doing anything? That could still be the clutch (or associated mechanical parts) but it could also be a hydraulic issue (master/slave cylinder).
Old 11-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for replay
I really did not notice anything wrong with my clutch other that I burned it badly a few months ago but there was just smell for a week or so, since than the clutch seemed ok to
me except the pedal was engaging at high. Last night when I stated driving about 20 miles later I notice that at 5 and 6 it was slipping. When I got at the hill at 6th gear being at 80 per hour car lost the speed and I downshifted to 5th but as soon as I did that my clutch pedal was at the floor and I returned it with my foot back. I rolled the car to the shoulder and shuted it off. Later I tried to start it but could not. There was a massage brake system malfunction. As far as I know you have signs clutch going bad for few days before it dies completely. Did anyone experience this kind of problem and do you think this is hydraulic problem?
Old 11-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for replay
I really did not notice anything wrong with my clutch other that I burned it badly a few months ago but there was just smell for a week or so, since than the clutch seemed ok to
me except the pedal was engaging at high. Last night when I stated driving about 20 miles later I notice that at 5 and 6 it was slipping. When I got at the hill at 6th gear being at 80 per hour car lost the speed and I downshifted to 5th but as soon as I did that my clutch pedal was at the floor and I returned it with my foot back. I rolled the car to the shoulder and shuted it off. Later I tried to start it but could not. There was a massage brake system malfunction. As far as I know you have signs clutch going bad for few days before it dies completely. Did anyone experience this kind of problem and do you think this is hydraulic problem?
Old 11-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Gotpower I see you are in NJ that where my car is now in north Plainfield. Do you know any good shop around there that I can trust because to tow it to ny cost around $400 and I thinking to fix it there. Thx
Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i manual Monaco Blue-Sport Package-Cold Weather Package-Premium Package-Heated Rear Seats-PDC-Ipod Connectivity

Thanks for replay
It COULD be a hydraulic problem - I only say this b/c the pedal sticking to the floor can be an indicator of this. The clutch could still have it's own issues though (especially since you smelled it burning). I know when my clutches went it started with a higher pedal and then the slipping. The one car I was able to drive for almost 100 miles, but the shop said they don't even know how I got it there. It was slipping so bad the car would barely move. The other went a lot faster but I still got it to the shop in time.

I'm not familiar enough yet with the e60 to know whether the car can detect a clutch problem and keeps it shut down. I know my old cars used to start right up but then again, they didn't tell me when lights are out or there were fuel pump issues and power was reduced .
Old 11-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Members

Gotpower I see you are in NJ that where my car is now in north Plainfield. Do you know any good shop around there that I can trust because to tow it to ny cost around $400 and I thinking to fix it there. Thx
I know a good independent mechanic in the Branchburg/Flemington area who always took good care of my cars, but I don't know if he does BMWs. I assume he does and if you want to try him I can PM you his info. He's usually not cheap but he's always done a good job on my other cars. There's also Bridgewater BMW which shouldn't be too far either, from what I saw they had a good reputation. In fact my e60 is there right now for maintenance & engine malfunction message. This is my first service through them but I've been happy so far. They have me rocking in a new 328i xdrive loaner. If you don't need it immediately I can try and ask a couple of my friends and see if they know an actual BMW independent mechanic in the area?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Members

Oh and whatever you do, DON'T go to Hillsborough Transmission. Took an older car there, they charged a bit, and then told me after they put it back together there was an engine seal leaking into the area with the clutch and they thought it could be an issue but wanted full price to pull it back apart again (it was like a $30 seal they could and should have replaced when doing the work). Sure enough, a short time later, my clutch went out b/c of the oil leaking on it. They gave me a discount after I fought with them a while on it, but I wasn't impressed at all. Granted this was a while ago, but I heard a few other bad things about them from other friends who went there.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Members

I actually found a site which might be helpful in your search:

http://www.bimmershops.com/bmwshops/new-jersey/

They seem to have a decent list with a few by the area.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thank you all for your help
I decided to tow the car to my place in LI and fix it at one of my friends shop. he claims he can fix it. I ordered part from dealership since they gave me 20% discount and can return parts if not needed. I going to replace pressure plate and clutch disc, rear main seal, flex disc and change the transmission oil which I also gonna get from dealer.(Hope no fly wheel) I also ordered Clutch Unlock valve from Bavauto. I am thinking to get a Z4 OEM short shifter as it will be easy to replace once the Tran is off, I did some reading but would like someone to tell me if I need anything else than shifter leveler?. I will report back.

Quick Reply: Clutch Qestion