E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

clunking noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

I'm getting a clunking like noise from what sounds like the right of the dashboard when I go over small bumps. It almost sounds like it's from the underbody frame somewhere. I had the metal structural support (reinforcement plate #8) off awhile back. Is there a torque value for the bolt on this plate or certain tightening procedure? I have a steep driveway that I approach at an angle and wonder it this has loosened that plate somehow.
Attached Thumbnails clunking noise from front end-216.png  
Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

Originally Posted by mels545
I'm getting a clunking like noise from what sounds like the right of the dashboard when I go over small bumps. It almost sounds like it's from the underbody frame somewhere. I had the metal structural support (reinforcement plate #8) off awhile back. Is there a torque value for the bolt on this plate or certain tightening procedure? I have a steep driveway that I approach at an angle and wonder it this has loosened that plate somehow.
I had the same issue. Brought it to the dealer to diagnose, they found out that the right strut brace was loose. They also replaced the sleeve that holds the left and right brace together as well. No more clunking sounds.... The stealer over charged me for the fix. :thumbsdown:
Old 05-27-2011, 01:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I had a similar noise in the left front area that sounded like it was coming from the strut area. Stealership had it for four days while I was out on a trip and said they drove it and checked it out thoroughly but could not duplicate the noise. I heard it the most entering and exiting my driveway. Kinda when the strut was extending rather than compressing... Took the car back for another visit and showed the SA when car is at idle I can move the steering wheel back and forth quickly and you can hear the thumping noise that appears to come from the steering shaft. They changed out the steering coupler or something like that and the noise seemed to pretty much go away.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

Originally Posted by GP550iSport
I had the same issue. Brought it to the dealer to diagnose, they found out that the right strut brace was loose. They also replaced the sleeve that holds the left and right brace together as well. No more clunking sounds.... The stealer over charged me for the fix. :thumbsdown:
Would that be #1 in the diagram below?
Attached Thumbnails clunking noise from front end-207.png  
Old 05-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

Originally Posted by mels545
Would that be #1 in the diagram below?
No, it is not the upper strut mount. These bars are located in the engine bay. They connect from the center of the car frame and go left and right and attach adjacent to the strut bolts.

At the same time, I had them change both tension arms. I hope this helps you. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Members

also check the sway bar links. they are notorious for causing noises over bumps when they wear out. what I normally do is unbolt them from 1 end and secure them to something. then drive over some bumps that normally cause the noise. obviously dont drive aggressive as the car will pitch to the sides more than normal. if the noise goes away, then its the links.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i

I had same noise all winter- couldn't ivied out what it was every bump I went over "clunk"
Changed my lower control arm and voila
Old 05-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by GP550iSport
No, it is not the upper strut mount. These bars are located in the engine bay. They connect from the center of the car frame and go left and right and attach adjacent to the strut bolts.

At the same time, I had them change both tension arms. I hope this helps you. Good luck.
That makes sense if the bolts are loose this would cause the noise in the dash. I'll check soon. It would be nice to have a easy and cheap fix for once!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Broken or loose swaybar link
Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Members

Thanks everyone for their responses. If it's not the upper strut brace I'll bring it my indie and put it up on the rack to check the rest of the front end.

Quick Reply: clunking noise from front end