5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Clunking noise in E60 (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/clunking-noise-e60-741/)

20inched5series 03-27-2004 10:27 AM

Hi guys anyone who can help or suggest what it might be.I heard it for 1st time tonight but that doesnt mean its the 1st time it has done it.It seems when rolling very slow under 10 mph or even if its just in gear and im not on the pedal i hear a clunk clunk clunk.The times between each clunk is not the same or evenly spaced out it seems and the sound is not constant or consistent.I have 20 inch breyton wheels on my car but have had them for over a month.Any suggestion on what it might be?Thanks in advance.

nick 03-27-2004 11:08 AM

need more info. to answer the question.

1.try to locat the sound where its came from.

2. is the sound in high pitch or low pitch?

3. is the sound metal with metal or.....

4.when the sound appear, is the engine hot or cold, is the brake hot or cold?

5.is the sound came from inside of the car or outside ( under the car, engine, wheel) which side of the car?

I know is diffclut, but is possible. Just take some time.

go to a road, with two side of wall, low down your window. for me, is seem hear better.

hope will help

nick

nick 03-27-2004 11:10 AM

by the way, ask a friend to go with you, with help a lot.

nick

20inched5series 03-27-2004 03:09 PM

it seems to be coming from the front driver side wheel area, it doesnt matter if the engine or brakes are hot or cold and the sound seems to be like if you were to take your finger and flick a soda can.Any help?

E60_545i 03-27-2004 05:40 PM

Do you have active steering?
Does the noise come out only when you are turning steering wheels?

20inched5series 03-27-2004 05:43 PM

no i dont have active sterring and it seems to do it at no specific time going str8 or turning

nick 03-27-2004 05:44 PM

Good Jobs!

Now we know is not came from the engine.

-any movable parts from your breyton wheels?

-wheels center piece cover?

-is the wheel touching any things?

-is all nut tight as same torque? ( same force )

-between the wheels and the hub ( where the wheel touch the car ), any gap? forget this one because we cannot see, after you put the wheel on it . sorry.

try to take of the wheel and put back the factory wheel ( only the front ) see is the sound still there.

if still there: :huh:

check anythings is touching each other ( around the wheel area )

one things, turn off the engine. (the key on position II ) and find a road is little slope, put the gear on N, then let the car roll. this way you will hear the soung much clear. ( make sure the brake will work, haha )

keep me update

nick

20inched5series 03-27-2004 06:03 PM

when i 1st put the wheels on at the place where they installed them the tire was rubbing by about 1/100th of an inch, one drive around the block and it stopped, it was rubbing in the bottom of the spring perch i think which is metal, so a 2 minute drive got the new rubber down and it stopped rubbing thats all i can think off but that was over a month ago why would the noise start now?

nick 03-27-2004 06:38 PM

if I was you, I will try to put back the factory wheel in the front frist, then just listen.

if the sound is gone, then is mean somehow is cause by the wheels and maybe tires.

if the sound still there, then we will look deeper to the suspension and brakes system.( all the parts )

by the way, did you mod. anything else by side of the wheel?

Anyway, I highly recommend that you try the factory wheel first. so you could see the where is the problem.

20inched5series 03-27-2004 07:00 PM

no didnt modify anything at all