E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clunk when turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 01:18 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 530d
Model Year: 2007
Engine: M57

Happened to mine - I think it was from a hit though. Got it welded and its been fine for over a year.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BrownPower
Did anyone get this figured out?

I am having the same issue, ONLY when i turn right, 2 clunks, noticeable at lower speeds with loaded suspension (i lifted the car to turn the wheel and check - no knocking), I feel it slightly at my feet and in the steering wheel. Has been slowly getting worse.
I had the exact same problem on my 2008 535i. After much troubleshooting by my independent, he eventually found that the active sway bar had been damaged when I hit a dip in the road under full braking. He replaced it...apparently it requires some kind of calibration/programming...he did that, and problem was fixed. I bet this is what is your problem. Mine ONLY made the noise when I turned LEFT under load. You may want to have your active sway bar checked.....if all mechanical stuff looks ok.

Last edited by Allen; 01-18-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:45 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: e60 535i JB4+DCI

@Allen I've been having a feeling that this is the issue since i feel it in the steering wheel and at my feet. I'm hoping to get it checked out next week. Maybe, since I did do my own water pump, its just a loose bolt down there.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

Maybe, since I did do my own water pump, its just a loose bolt down there.
I hope so...because mine was a $1300 repair.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:58 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Allen
I hope so...because mine was a $1300 repair.
No chance i'm going to be spending that kind of money. Not on a sway bar. There's a reason i'm even holding off on replacing the turbos. in the last year I've don't 4 front control arms, stabilizer links, water pump thermostat. the year before was valve cover, belt tensioner and pulleys, oil filter, oil cooler gaskets. Even if i try to sell the car today. Id be blessed to get 6k for it. Im still on index 1 injectors and theres a log list of things that can still go wrong
but yet I still love this car.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

No chance i'm going to be spending that kind of money. Not on a sway bar. There's a reason i'm even holding off on replacing the turbos. in the last year I've don't 4 front control arms, stabilizer links, water pump thermostat. the year before was valve cover, belt tensioner and pulleys, oil filter, oil cooler gaskets. Even if i try to sell the car today. Id be blessed to get 6k for it. Im still on index 1 injectors and theres a log list of things that can still go wrong
but yet I still love this car.
I'm sure you've heard the phrase..."you're telling Noah about the flood..."? I too have spent way too much on mine. But I am the original owner, the interior and body are literally like new....and I LOVE this car. It would take a TON of money to get another car that could fill it's shoes. So, it's the age old car delima...how many repairs could a $500 per month car payment make?

Honestly, I can't see a scenario where I scrap this car due to repair costs. I did the exact same with my '95 525i...but it required very minimal money over it's 256,000 miles. I only got rid of it when I was rear-ended and it was totaled...a VERY VERY sad day that was!!
Old 01-21-2020, 05:27 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Allen
I'm sure you've heard the phrase..."you're telling Noah about the flood..."? I too have spent way too much on mine. But I am the original owner, the interior and body are literally like new....and I LOVE this car. It would take a TON of money to get another car that could fill it's shoes. So, it's the age old car delima...how many repairs could a $500 per month car payment make?

Honestly, I can't see a scenario where I scrap this car due to repair costs. I did the exact same with my '95 525i...but it required very minimal money over it's 256,000 miles. I only got rid of it when I was rear-ended and it was totaled...a VERY VERY sad day that was!!
i have NO plans to scrap this car. its too nice and comfortable and relatively fuel efficient also. Eveutually i have to get the oil pan done. In fact im picking up mtech bumpers/skirts and paddle wheel/ sat shifter tomorrow lol. i cant help myself.

I will update everyone on my outcome with the noises. Im actually starting to think it may be a strut mount also as it only happens under loaded suspension.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:30 PM
New Members

Default Fixed?

Originally Posted by zoppp
So I think the problem was a fatiguing subframe mount for the anti roll bar. A year after the problem started, the bolting point for the anti roll bar clamp sheared off the frame which required a front subframe replacement. Since the subframe is made of aluminum, it is more likely to experience failure from fatigue. I'm guessing the sound was from the metal slightly bending during each turn and loading of the bar.

I know it’s been a while but how did your subframe anti roll bar mounting bracket got fixed? Was it welded back or have to replace the whole subframe? I have the exact same issue😕
Old 05-06-2021, 03:27 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Nav, Adaptive Xenon, Comfort Seats

Originally Posted by Palengke
I know it’s been a while but how did your subframe anti roll bar mounting bracket got fixed? Was it welded back or have to replace the whole subframe? I have the exact same issue😕
might be able to get it welded, but most mechanics won't do that and recommend a subframe replacement. I had to replace the subframe. If you catch it early you might be able to get it welded to prevent it from breaking. The issue with aluminum is that once it cracks, it will continue to grow as the part is loaded and unloaded.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 550i
Model Year: 550i 2007
Engine: N62B48
Default Transfer case fluid flush at least twice and recalibration needed

If your car is 4x4, most likely your transfer case need an oil flush, and recalibration!
check out that video

Quick Reply: Clunk when turning