E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clunk at 15MPH Under Braking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a weird one. Anyone else experience this?

Problem:
When braking, at exactly 15MPH, I feel a single "clunk" in the steering wheel. It almost feels like a bad control arm bushing popping 1 time. But here's the strange part, after many tests I've managed to figure out that it is very repeatable. Here are the scenarios I've tried:
1) You have to exceed 20MPH, then brake during the moment you cross the 15MPH threshold
2) If you do not exceed 20MPH (say 18MPH), it doesn't matter if you coast or brake, no "clunk"
3) If you exceed 20MPH, then coast slowly down to 15MPH, no "clunk"
4) If you exceed 20MPH, then brake but let up just before 15MPH, no "clunk"
5) If you don't exceed 20MPH, then brake, no "clunk"

I'm still under warranty, so I'll eventually make my way to the dealer at some point. But just curious if anyone else has noticed this? What is so magical about crossing the 15MPH threshold and braking at the same time?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by constant
This is a weird one. Anyone else experience this?

Problem:
When braking, at exactly 15MPH, I feel a single "clunk" in the steering wheel. It almost feels like a bad control arm bushing popping 1 time. But here's the strange part, after many tests I've managed to figure out that it is very repeatable. Here are the scenarios I've tried:
1) You have to exceed 20MPH, then brake during the moment you cross the 15MPH threshold
2) If you do not exceed 20MPH (say 18MPH), it doesn't matter if you coast or brake, no "clunk"
3) If you exceed 20MPH, then coast slowly down to 15MPH, no "clunk"
4) If you exceed 20MPH, then brake but let up just before 15MPH, no "clunk"
5) If you don't exceed 20MPH, then brake, no "clunk"

I'm still under warranty, so I'll eventually make my way to the dealer at some point. But just curious if anyone else has noticed this? What is so magical about crossing the 15MPH threshold and braking at the same time?
I have a couple posts on here explaining the exact same thing. My service guys call it a "normal" characteristic of the car but only after they thought something was wrong with it too. Theye couldn't find anything "wrong".

If you put it in manual and stop the car leaving it in second gear it won't make the clunk. In auto, you should notice when the you get the clunk at 15mph it downshifts from 2-1.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NoQuarter, yes, I've noticed that in Auto a downshift occurs too but thought I was just trying to imagine a correlation! In a few cases on some of the more pronounced clunks, I've also noticed a jump upward in RPM's on the downshift, almost like the transmission is confused for a split second?

Another thing I've noticed: today is relatively warm (45 deg F) compared to the recent weather (30 and below) we've had. The clunking is unnoticeable today, but I feel it every time when cold. I think this behavior is exacerbated by cold temps too. :thumbsdown: