E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Climate control noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

I have a nearly new 525i & have a really annoying noise coming from the climate control. When the car reaches programmed temperature you hear a buzz then a tapping noise every 2-3 seconds. I have has a look under the bonnet/hood, there is some kind of sensor in a water hose just behind the air filter, the hose then disappears into the bulkhead, you can feel it bang every few secs, I havn't a clue what it is there for, maybe some kind of temperature regulator. If the air con or re-circulate is on or off it makes no difference, as long as the fan is on it does it. The car has been into the dealer as under warranty, they have changed a few bits but it is still the same. Maybe i'm super fussy but it is like Chinese water torture to me now. Does anybody else's 5 series do this, is it normal?. Please let me know if your's does this, or not, think I'll have to go back to the dealer.
Apart form that it is a great car, I just want it to be 100% right.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' date='Nov 16 2004, 06:46 PM
I have a nearly new 525i & have a really annoying noise coming from the climate control. When the car reaches programmed temperature you hear a buzz then a tapping noise every 2-3 seconds. I have has a look under the bonnet/hood, there is some kind of sensor in a water hose just behind the air filter, the hose then disappears into the bulkhead, you can feel it bang every few secs, I havn't a clue what it is there for, maybe some kind of temperature regulator. If the air con or re-circulate is on or off it makes no difference, as long as the fan is on it does it. The car has been into the dealer as under warranty, they have changed a few bits but it is still the same. Maybe i'm super fussy but it is like Chinese water torture to me now. Does anybody else's 5 series do this, is it normal?. Please let me know if your's does this, or not, think I'll have to go back to the dealer.
[snapback]56829[/snapback]

Welcome BMWJIMT,
I can proudly say the 20 minutes I was with my car today (it just arrived) I did not hear anything like that. I had the car running with the hood up, hood down, sitting inside and walking around! All to hear and check for things not quite right. I found nothing this was before it went in to the Prep for delivery. I should get the car for real this Friday.

I would not want to listen to something like that as well. Sounds like another trip the the dealer
Old 11-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

Welcome aboard BMWJIMT!

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your car. Good luck getting it fixed.

Central Cali
Old 11-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, bmwjimt !
Old 11-18-2004, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, BMWJIMT !
Old 11-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Just testing if notepad is visible...
Old 11-24-2004, 12:00 AM
Members

UK member, 525I, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Star spoke 123 18''+ Runflats, Bluetooth, SatNav, 6CD, Sunroof, Folding Mirrors, Automatic
Old 11-24-2004, 05:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' date='Nov 16 2004, 11:46 AM
[snapback]56829[/snapback]
Hey! Mine does that, too! It's annoying. It's a whine that cycles every 3 seconds or so. Weeeeeeee-u-weeeeeeee-u-weeeeeeee &c. It's the fan or something, and it goes off when you turn the fan off. You can almost feel a vibration in the steering column. I want my dealer to look at it, but I'm afraid the dealer won't be able to hear it. It is starting to really bug me, too. It started pretty soon after I got it. It doesn't really seem to be getting worse, but it isn't getting better.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Members

I returned to my dealer in the Uk, the mechanic had another look with me & agreed that the noise is there, it occurs when a Bosch pump activates every 2 or 3 seconds, this pump is connected into a water hose, just behind the air filter unit, if
you touch it ( mind it gets hot ! ) then you can feel it activate every few seconds. Not quite sure what the pump does, but it only activates when the fan is on & the temperature inside the car reaches the programmed temp. EG if it is doing it at 22 degrees, crank it up to 25 & it will stop until the car reaches 25. In the car you can hear a knock from the ventilation system at that time. You can feel this through the steering wheel or if you touch the middle of the dashboard.
The mechanic was a bit perplexed by this so he found another car in the workshop the same as mine, but brand new. It did the same thing!!!!
Looks like it is an inbuilt problem that I will have to live with. Which is a shame as why make such a brilliant & quiet car & engine with a noisy climate system??

Mine is a Dec 2003 525I, standard climate control in the Uk.

I suspect diesel models & advanced climate models will be completly different, so will not be afflicted with this problem.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' date='Nov 25 2004, 04:32 AM
I returned to my dealer in the Uk, the mechanic had another look with me & agreed that the noise is there, it occurs when a Bosch pump activates every 2 or 3 seconds, this pump is connected into a water hose, just behind the air filter unit, if
you touch it ( mind it gets hot ! ) then you can feel it activate every few seconds. Not quite sure what the pump does, but it only activates when the fan is on & the temperature inside the car reaches the programmed temp. EG if it is doing it at 22 degrees, crank it up to 25 & it will stop until the car reaches 25. In the car you can hear a knock from the ventilation system at that time. You can feel this through the steering wheel or if you touch the middle of the dashboard.
The mechanic was a bit perplexed by this so he found another car in the workshop the same as mine, but brand new. It did the same thing!!!!
Looks like it is an inbuilt problem that I will have to live with. Which is a shame as why make such a brilliant & quiet car & engine with a noisy climate system??

Mine is a Dec 2003 525I, standard climate control in the Uk.

I suspect diesel models & advanced climate models will be completly different, so will not be afflicted with this problem.
[snapback]60576[/snapback]

Quick Reply: Climate control noise