E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clicking sound from the CD player

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Guys

Hv u heard a fast clicking sound (mechanical) coming from your single CD player? Sometimes even when there's no CD inside, my CD player produces this clicking sound. And when it's clicking, the player wont play the CD....
Old 08-03-2005, 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Bunbun' date='Aug 3 2005, 09:03 AM
Guys?

Hv u heard a fast clicking sound (mechanical) coming from your single CD player?? Sometimes even when there's no CD inside, my CD player produces this clicking sound.? And when it's clicking, the player wont play the CD....
[snapback]155661[/snapback]
Yes, used to get it occasionally, but not since my upgrade to CIP 18.0 a few weeks ago...
Old 08-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bunbun' date='Aug 3 2005, 03:03 PM
Guys?

Hv u heard a fast clicking sound (mechanical) coming from your single CD player?? Sometimes even when there's no CD inside, my CD player produces this clicking sound.? And when it's clicking, the player wont play the CD....
[snapback]155661[/snapback]

had this on my old E46, dealer replaced the unit, problem never came back. not sure if a s/w fix will help but worth a go. on my E46 it "clicked" all the time so it was pretty easy to spot when a solution was found.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Contributors

This was clearly a software issue as it would only happen when I unlocked the car and it came out of sleep mode, but before I actually started the car. It was like the car would wake up and try to run the CD player but it was having some problem. Hasn't happened since the upgrade but it was fairly sporadic before so maybe it will happen again...
Old 08-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Aug 3 2005, 11:56 AM
This was clearly a software issue as it would only happen when I unlocked the car and it came out of sleep mode, but before I actually started the car.? It was like the car would wake up and try to run the CD player but it was having some problem.? Hasn't happened since the upgrade but it was fairly sporadic before so maybe it will happen again...
[snapback]155686[/snapback]

Not too sure if this is a s/w issue or mechanical. I had this behaviour as you described, intermittently. But mine only happened if I last shut down the car with the CD source selected. If it decided to do this stunt then as Bunbun said, the drive won't be recognised anymore.

I used to get occasionally the CD resetting to track 1 or this claking noise. But since my last visit to the workshop, I have noticed the CD drive now behaves very well; no such problem any more (touch wood). I don't know what they did because I didn't ask them to look into this though I had filed this complaint before.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

I have this problem, too. However it's happens only occasionally, and the dealer could not reproduce it when I mentioned it to the SA. I could live with it..
Old 08-04-2005, 04:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Stranger' date='Aug 4 2005, 02:52 AM
[quote name='kscarrol' date='Aug 3 2005, 11:56 AM']This was clearly a software issue as it would only happen when I unlocked the car and it came out of sleep mode, but before I actually started the car.? It was like the car would wake up and try to run the CD player but it was having some problem.? Hasn't happened since the upgrade but it was fairly sporadic before so maybe it will happen again...

Not too sure if this is a s/w issue or mechanical. I had this behaviour as you described, intermittently. But mine only happened if I last shut down the car with the CD source selected. If it decided to do this stunt then as Bunbun said, the drive won't be recognised anymore.

I used to get occasionally the CD resetting to track 1 or this claking noise. But since my last visit to the workshop, I have noticed the CD drive now behaves very well; no such problem any more (touch wood). I don't know what they did because I didn't ask them to look into this though I had filed this complaint before.
[snapback]155895[/snapback]
[/quote]

You were definitely having issues I never had with the CD player. Mine simply made the noise. Played fine, never not recognized and hasn't reset to track 1 since a software upgrade 7 months ago took care of that known bug.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes, after parking the car, get out for 5 minutes with key out, and get back, I can hear the CD is spinning when I open the driver's door. Weird
Old 08-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG Alpine White/Black Leather, Sport, Logic7, Cold Weather, Navigation

SAME HERE DEALER CANNOT REPRODUCE HASNT HAPPENED SINCE 18.0 CIP UPDATE
Old 08-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stranger' date='Aug 4 2005, 02:52 AM
[quote name='kscarrol' date='Aug 3 2005, 11:56 AM']This was clearly a software issue as it would only happen when I unlocked the car and it came out of sleep mode, but before I actually started the car.? It was like the car would wake up and try to run the CD player but it was having some problem.? Hasn't happened since the upgrade but it was fairly sporadic before so maybe it will happen again...

[snapback]155895[/snapback]
[/quote]

Stranger

I found out that's exactly the case. If prior to shut down of the car the audio source selection is anything else other than the single CD player, it will not click. That's is the strangest thing !

Quick Reply: Clicking sound from the CD player