E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clicking noise in engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 02:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: my ride which i just bought is 2005 530i with all the fruit cept no tv or dvd GRR haha :)

hey guys dont know if any of yas had this problem b4, when i start my car it makes like a CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK noise and when it warms up it doesnt its only on 47000 km its an 05 530i it only does sometimes but its annoying was just wondering anyone have this same problem or know wot it is ? i rang my bmw dealer and he said i dont know what the nosie is til i hear it but i told him it doesnt always happen and i dont know when its gona do it sooo grrrrrrrr!!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Usually a clicking noice tells you that the engines valves do hit the pistons or the (over head) cam.
It has to do with the so called "knocking affect" ie when too low octane gas is used.
In this case it's serious business, your valve knocking indicator may be gone or worse!

A slight ticking can come from the engine while warming up, but usually while cooling down.

I would check it out at the dealers.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Members

My Ride: my ride which i just bought is 2005 530i with all the fruit cept no tv or dvd GRR haha :)

ohhhhh ok shit doesnt sound to good then..umm yerr doesnt do it when its cooling down,ive had the car for just over 3 months now,ive always used bp ultimate which is 98 octane,unless the guy that was using it b4 put cheap fuel in it im not sure soo it could be the lifters isnt it ? yerr i rang the dealer and they said we cant do nothing unless we hear the noise and i told em doesnt always do it and i dont know when its gona do it soo very hard situation..hasnt been doin much lately just once in the last 3 weeks mayb its getting use to the 98 octane fuel ??
Old 08-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535I Monaco Blue Cream Beige

Hi, I have an 08 BMW 535i and I have the same exact thing going on in my car. It is definetly not the type of gas you are using as I'm using premium all of the time. This problem is very common among BMWs of different types. Just do a search on this forum and it will explode with people talking about this. My car has only 12500 miles on it and I started noticing it around 5000 miles only after reading about it on this forum. The next morning I went out and listened for it and sure enough there it was when the engine was cold. When the engine warms up the noise goes away. No one really knows what this is and it just appears to be something normal for BMW engines as no dealership seems to know anything about it either. It is strange but doesn't seem harmful at all.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:36 PM
JPJ
Contributors

It?s normal ? just the hydraulic valve lifters. They make noise until they get pumped up with oil.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:27 AM
Members

oh so its just a bmw noise then...very weird hey eagle12 u wouldnt expect new cars to make engine noise but if its normal i guess nothing we can do bout it and if its not harmfull then it should be ok i guess but it would be better if it wasnt ther!!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sik bmuu' post='642378' date='Aug 8 2008, 06:34 AM
hey guys dont know if any of yas had this problem b4, when i start my car it makes like a CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK noise and when it warms up it doesnt its only on 47000 km its an 05 530i it only does sometimes but its annoying was just wondering anyone have this same problem or know wot it is ? i rang my bmw dealer and he said i dont know what the nosie is til i hear it but i told him it doesnt always happen and i dont know when its gona do it sooo grrrrrrrr!!

It's normal - happens on some - not on others - at warm up.
On my MB I did 2 Mobil 1 oil changes within 5K miles and it went away.
I may try it on the BMW too.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='644485' date='Aug 11 2008, 08:36 PM
It?s normal ? just the hydraulic valve lifters. They make noise until they get pumped up with oil.
Listen to JPJ, he knows what he is talking about When the engine is started up cold, the hydraulic lifters are "loose" and make some ticking noises until oil pressure builds, perfectly normal. The noise is a small trade-off, enjoy your car knowing that you don't have to adjust your valve clearances every 30k
Old 08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sik bmuu' post='644031' date='Aug 11 2008, 09:42 AM
ohhhhh ok shit doesnt sound to good then..umm yerr doesnt do it when its cooling down,ive had the car for just over 3 months now,ive always used bp ultimate which is 98 octane,unless the guy that was using it b4 put cheap fuel in it im not sure soo it could be the lifters isnt it ? yerr i rang the dealer and they said we cant do nothing unless we hear the noise and i told em doesnt always do it and i dont know when its gona do it soo very hard situation..hasnt been doin much lately just once in the last 3 weeks mayb its getting use to the 98 octane fuel ??

Did you steal your E60, or earn it? Because based on your writing skills and your username, you work at McDonalds.

Sorry, I usually say or write what I think.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Members

very funny mate,im not on the comp all day like you are so i try cut it as short and quick as possible. what the fuck is it to you how i write and choose my username. ur comments didnt answer my question so u can get fucked u nerd. and yep i work at mcdonalds and i bought an e60 for $70,000 ..fuck i must be doin well ey ?

Quick Reply: Clicking noise in engine