E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clicking/Clunking noise from rear of the car!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I have an '04 545i SMG with 99k miles, and my warranty just expired 5 weeks ago. Now I'm hearing a clicking/clunking noise from the rear of the car. It happens when I accelerate or decelerate at low speeds or from a complete stop. I've been doing research, but can't find anybody with the same problem. I don't know if it's the differential, the drive shaft, or the transmission. This has been happening for about 8 months now, but at first it was really quiet and completely sporadic...and the dealer was supposedly never able to duplicate it. The dealer never found anything wrong, and it's getting a lot louder and a lot more frequent. Well, I had the car smog checked on Wednesday and I heard the noise loud and clear just about every time the tires began turning on the dyno. Now I'm at the point where I think my car is going to leave me walking, so my 6'4" 270lb ass is stuck driving a 2 door Civic. Anybody have a similar problem or have any idea what it could be? Thanks in advance, and I'll try to get a clip of the noise tomorrow...

Oh yeah, I called the dealer today and asked the SA if there was anything they could do for me since I had complained about the noise to them before while still under warranty, and he left for 10 minutes to check with this supervisor only to come back with "we can definitely get it checked out for you for $330".

Cliff's Notes:

Clicking noise coming from rear of the car and don't know what it is
warranty expired
car made noise before warranty expired
dealer never found the problem
dealer now wants $330 to tell me what the problem is
Tall fat man in a tiny Civic
Old 09-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

Golf clubs?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

OK sorry, didn't mean to be a smart ass but my buddy owns a body shop. Everytime a 5 or 7 series comes in for some work, the guys take a guess on whether the clubs are in the trunk.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Members

I have golf clubs back there but they're definitely not making the noise. It's pretty loud especially in a parking garage or near a wall.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by khungus
I have golf clubs back there but they're definitely not making the noise. It's pretty loud especially in a parking garage or near a wall.
I have this same issue, were you able to identify it/ get it fixed?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Very likely the diff. Had same issue initially when I had the car lowered. The fact that it happens during accel and decel are highly symptomatic of a diff issue.

Uh...get away from that dealer. Find a good Indy.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Members

Have the same thing on my car . Dealer said it was a bearing in the output flange of the diff . Not covered under warranty . $600+ labor and free of charge for the damn grease. I told them keep the grease and I'll deal with it when something breaks . 30k miles later and still going . At one point it went away and just recently came back .

What I heard at first sounded like a loose metal ring clanking . Dealer kept saying it was nothing . Finally got them to go on a drive til they heard it . Went with two different techs and they both heard it . They say it was a bearing that needed lube which is not covered under warranty .
Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

I think I have this too on my 2007 530xi. Sometimes I hear a clicking that sounds like the seatbelt clanking against something and it sounds like its coming from the top of the rear headrest on drivers side where is this bearing located that needs lube?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by trippster
I think I have this too on my 2007 530xi. Sometimes I hear a clicking that sounds like the seatbelt clanking against something and it sounds like its coming from the top of the rear headrest on drivers side where is this bearing located that needs lube?
Hi all, I hear a creaking sound also seemingly coming from somewhere in the interior like the rear deck area -like a clunking sound - 2006 530xi - when the car goes over bumps or body flexes in a slow turn. I'm thinking maybe it's the rear seat fasteners. Need to take out the seats and explore. Maybe put some dampening material in there when the seats get put back in.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by howhoo50
Hi all, I hear a creaking sound also seemingly coming from somewhere in the interior like the rear deck area -like a clunking sound - 2006 530xi - when the car goes over bumps or body flexes in a slow turn. I'm thinking maybe it's the rear seat fasteners. Need to take out the seats and explore. Maybe put some dampening material in there when the seats get put back in.
Try leaving the rearm arm rest open and check the third brake light housing. Put some tape on the light to see if it rattling.

Quick Reply: Clicking/Clunking noise from rear of the car!