E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clearance Issue w/ Lowered 528xi (sway bar & axle)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 01:05 PM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2013 BMW 535i
Model Year: 2013
Engine: 3.0L N55
Default Clearance Issue w/ Lowered 528xi (sway bar & axle)

I have a 2008 528xi that I lowered on BC Racing coilovers. I had a friend's shop install them. After awhile, I noticed small grease marks on the inside part of my front left wheel. Noticed that the clamp on my inner CV boot had come off. Further inspection I noticed scrape marks on my sway bar... which looked like it came from coming into contact with the spinning clamp on the axle/cv boot. Noticed I didn't have much clearance between the sway bar and axle. Anyone else with XI models on coilovers have this issue?

Dig deeper in details, I did order the BR series Extreme Low kit. I knew with us AWD models, we actually sit a bit taller than the RWD at stock. I'm lowered about 2" up front and back. I wanted to lower the front about half an inch more to have that subtle raked look and even gaps front and back... however, there is an issue of clearance. My coilover kit did come with shortened sway bar end links because factory ones would be too long. However, I'm not sure if it was meant for AWD... and searching through the internet, there is no aftermarket sway bar end links of different lengths for AWD E60s. Anyway, they did get installed and being lowered as much as I am in the front, on hard cornering, the front sway bars come in contact with the front axles/front inner axle boot & clamp. Below are pics I tried to take with the car on all 4 wheels, however the wheels are turned so the the sway bar and end links are under tension to the right.

You can see there is hardly any clearance between the front sway bar and the front axles & inner axle CV boot/clamp... but you are unable to see the scrape marks inside the sway bar from the axle and CV boot clamp coming into contact with it. I did have to replace the clamp twice.

The current sway bar end links that came with my coilover kit measure 14 inches from bolt center end to bolt center end. Which in turn swing the sway bar up too close to the axles. The factory ones, from what I have been able to research, measure 16.5 inches. My suggestion would be to run with the factory end links. For now anyway. However, I am working with someone from Whiteline Suspension to see if we can come up with a solution of an Adjustable Sway Bar End Links for E60 XI models This solution would be able to adjust the end links at a length where I can swing the sway bar back down a bit to help clear the axles... even if I lower the car a bit more in the front... and still retain a close 90 degree setup from sway bar to end links. In the next week, I should be able to update...