E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CIP upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='366497' date='Dec 12 2006, 04:11 PM
"generally available" is a software term meaning
Ahh... oops... I knew that as an industry term (says he flasunting his Computer Science Master's). Some also call it "General Release".

Pity my english isn't as good.

What I meant was "I wonder what General Availability mean... in terms of rollout."

March 07 implies some kind of "big bang".

ABC
Old 12-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Matt,
3. the lighting in my column switches doesnt work (turn signal; cruise; wipers) but the lighting in the steering wheel is fine
The problem #3 does not exist. Those stalks (turn signal, cruise, wiper) does not have light built in like steering wheel switches (next track, programmable buttons, volume, voice command, and phone buttons). I checked again this morning and confirm this.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

I picked up my car today and have none of the problems you have listed above. The eyebrows and LED's work fine as do all other lights inside or outside. My car was programmed with CIP 24
Old 12-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='366527' date='Dec 12 2006, 05:47 PM
Don't let them code without confirming the version! If they put the 'latest' available release (23.02) then it will almost certainly break the eyebrows!
dont worry - i even pointed out on delivery that i was going to check that they worked - the salesman is aware that im concious of the issue. If im being screwed for an hours labour for a simple reprogram, and i find they have wrecked the eyebrow light function, then there will be trouble...........

cheers

steve
Old 12-13-2006, 02:09 AM
Members

My Ride: Delivered 1/16/07 07 530i Silver Grey/Blk., ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Logic 7, Step, Sirius

can someone tell me what these cip upgrades are and will my new 530 (due in sometime in mid January 07) need this or will the issues be corrected since its being built now?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nicdog' post='366877' date='Dec 13 2006, 06:09 AM
can someone tell me what these cip upgrades are and will my new 530 (due in sometime in mid January 07) need this or will the issues be corrected since its being built now?
The cip upgrades are various software releases, each subseqent one theoretically solves problems from previous versions and adds any upgrades. I doubt that you will have any problems since they use the most recent software versions available when loading into new cars. I believe the software is actually loaded at the VPC before it gets to the dealer and not when the car is built. The dealer then checks the software and upgrades if a newer version is issued since the VPC loaded it. The most recent version is 24.0. My car is less than a week old and so far has none of the reported problems from the older versions. I doubt you will have any of the reported issues either. This doesn't mean that something new will not pop up since BMW software seems to be very problematic (at least compared to my experience with Lexus).
Old 12-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='366687' date='Dec 13 2006, 12:07 AM
dont worry - i even pointed out on delivery that i was going to check that they worked - the salesman is aware that im concious of the issue. If im being screwed for an hours labour for a simple reprogram, and i find they have wrecked the eyebrow light function, then there will be trouble...........
Ah, but there's the problem... The upgrade process is not simple! It can take all day to program... (But it's arguable whether this is 'labour'?)
Old 12-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stanatl' post='366901' date='Dec 13 2006, 01:03 PM
The most recent version is 24.0.
Did someone on here get it wrong when they reported that CIP was already at 24.01?

ABC
Old 12-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Two questions on Version 24 software:

1) does i-drive display the current software version, or do you need a tech to confirm what your running?
2) Who at the dealer knows whether CIP 24xx is available? In my experience I prefer speaking to techs about cutting edge things like this rather than the service consultant. Who has hands on experience? Techs. Who goes to training seminars and workshops to learn about new BMW technology? Techs. Who knows how to access the databases to research issues? Techs. From my experience, the service consultant is intended to be an interpreter as between the grubby technicians and the royal customers. Problem is, I speak tech. I don't need an interpreter. I would vastly prefer dealing directly with techs. But I think the stealer (whose primary source of income is warranty/maintainence work & parts) would feel left out. Does anyone else find this to be the case at their dealer? At mine, many of the techs drive old BMWs while most of the service consultants drive new cars....that don't have blue or white on their emblems.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Members

My Ride: Delivered 1/16/07 07 530i Silver Grey/Blk., ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Logic 7, Step, Sirius

thanks for the info. hopefully it will be programmed correctly. Cant wait to see if anything else goes bugger.

Quick Reply: CIP upgrade