E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CIP upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles
Smile

I know the forum has well documented the eyebrow issue when one gets the 23.02 CIP upgrade. Im interested in hearing from others who have seen issues beyond that. Specifically, mine include:

1. side marker lights now blink rapidly on start up for about 10 seconds
2. my nav is now slower than before
3. the lighting in my column switches doesnt work (turn signal; cruise; wipers) but the lighting in the steering wheel is fine
4. CD still plays through songs in between start/stop
5. occationally it will turn the heated seat on high upon start up (this is when it was that way during run before).
6. of course the damn eyebrows dont work

My dealership is saying v24. wont be GA (generally available) until March 07. This is definately a step backwards from the CIP version i was running from factory....

Anybody else experiencing the same things? Maybe continue the list....
Old 12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Members

I am having problems #2, 4, 5, and 6 after our 530xiT was upgraded to CIP 23.

Additionally on #5, the seat heaters have gone on and won't shut off until the car goes to sleep for 20-30 minutes. Only happened twice, but it is very annoying that BMW's Quality Assurance on their software continues to be so poor.

If it were my company, I would have fired the Q/A manager in charge of their software development a long time ago.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Matt BMW California' post='366328' date='Dec 12 2006, 05:33 AM
My dealership is saying v24. wont be GA (generally available) until March 07. This is definately a step backwards from the CIP version i was running from factory....
What rubbish! Look elsewhere on this forum - dealers have started applying v24...
Old 12-12-2006, 01:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='366409' date='Dec 12 2006, 09:31 AM
What rubbish! Look elsewhere on this forum - dealers have started applying v24...
I wonder what "generally available" means?

Didn't someone on here say that CIP 24 won't be available in UK until "next year" which isn't far away but it isn't now.

Also, if I read correctly, isn't CIP 24 at 24.01 already already!

ABC
Old 12-12-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='366438' date='Dec 12 2006, 10:36 AM

Didn't someone on here say that CIP 24 won't be available in UK until "next year" which isn't far away but it isn't now.

Also, if I read correctly, isn't CIP 24 at 24.01 already already!

ABC
I guess GA could mean March 2007 and only those with buggered LEDs (V23) are receiving it early...

I'm expecting mine to be sorted early Jan!
Old 12-12-2006, 06:46 AM
Members

Along with the knocked out eyebrows, CIP 23 has given me non-functional seat heaters. The seat heater lights do not work either now and the PDC will appear on the monitor screen but the sensors are not working-in other words no beepers functioning-front or rear. These issues do not appear every time you are in the car. They are working sometimes-and then not working the next time you get in the car.

My car is still fun to drive....but I long ago began to notice the measure of precision I associated with the "ultimate" car no longer exists....at least not in the E60.

Certainly not in the E65 from what I have read.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Build date 11/2005 options include: cold weather package/ convenience package/premium sound package/ sport package/sunshades/Navigation/ V3 cradle/ OE 166 wheels/M-tech upgrade/M rear spoiler/ racemesh m-tech grill/racemesh kidney grills/M5 mirrors/M5 steering wheel/ HID fog light conversion/ M5 SMG paddles

"generally available" is a software term meaning any releases prior are considered "beta" or software in test....I think at the beta stage they arent expecting big issues and they are just kind of testing it on a few cars to see what might crop up. Beta also typically means that they dont intend to fix issues that crop up within that current release.

Im not sure of BMW's release methodology; however, i will wrap a caveat around my current frustration. I beleive that you cant get to the ultimate driving experience 'first' without a few hiccups. I can live through the challenges they present in their CIP upgrades if they:
1. continue their innovation
2. agree to fix it and remain committed to the quality of their product.
3. stay the course of their around their quest for the ultimate driving experience.
ulitmately, software is NEVER perfect in its release. Thats why each release is numbered - for tracking and managing the changes. Also, keep in mind that even though its the e60 build, from 04 to 07 electronics and options have changed and this will only cause different problems. Not to mention that one would be hard pressed to find their doppleganger car in the market....the options packages provide 1000's of combinations for each build.

still interested in seeing other bugs from the members....

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='366438' date='Dec 12 2006, 02:36 AM
Old 12-12-2006, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

I picked up my '07 550i last Friday and have none of the problems listed. The eyebrows and LED's work fine as do all other lights inside or outside. I believe that the car was programmed with v. 24 at the VPC so I would think it would be availble. If my car was programmed with v. 23.02 I would think I would have the well documented problems with the eyebrows/LED's.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

My car is 8 days old - a mid nov build - and doesnt have any issues. The eyebrows work.However, in two days time, its going in for a total reprogram to allow the Ipod/cd interface to work. I hope I can say the same then......

cheers

steve
Old 12-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='366519' date='Dec 12 2006, 05:19 PM
My car is 8 days old - a mid nov build - and doesnt have any issues. The eyebrows work.However, in two days time, its going in for a total reprogram to allow the Ipod/cd interface to work. I hope I can say the same then......
Don't let them code without confirming the version! If they put the 'latest' available release (23.02) then it will almost certainly break the eyebrows!

Quick Reply: CIP upgrade