E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cigarette Lighter Power Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob.a' post='439062' date='Jun 23 2007, 06:57 PM
The main point is that it was a comment attributing responsibility for the mess to BMW; not to the dealer.
So to finally understand, you're pursuing a "warrantable solution" because of BMWUK's failure to train the dealer.

Of course if BMWUK say it's the dealer's responsibility to read, query and understand the Product Launch Support Literature... (let's hope they don't)...

ABC
Old 06-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Members

My Ride: LCI E60 520d SE Manual, Jet Black/Natural Brown/Light Poplar, Auto A/C, Elec Front Seats+Lumbar & Driver Memory, SCA Doors, Thru Load, Auto Dim Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Xenons+High-beam Assist, LDWS, USB Audio, 244 wheels+RFTs (until worn) & S-S Spare

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='439103' date='Jun 23 2007, 08:42 PM
So to finally understand, you're pursuing a "warrantable solution" because of BMWUK's failure to train the dealer.

Of course if BMWUK say it's the dealer's responsibility to read, query and understand the Product Launch Support Literature... (let's hope they don't)...

ABC
I agree that if there was Product Launch Support Information covering the matter adequately when the order configurator started accepting Customer's orders and the dealer either overlooked it, or failed to train his staff, then it is the dealer's mess after all. My guess is that there was no such information at that stage, so it is BMW's mess; but I've no idea whether that means BMW UK, or some other part of BMW.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bob.a' post='439121' date='Jun 23 2007, 09:37 PM
My guess is that there was no such information at that stage, so it is BMW's mess..
Difficult to draw a conclusion from that type of premise IMHO.

ABC
Old 06-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by bob.a' post='439041' date='Jun 23 2007, 06:05 PM
Which fuse protects the front ashtray 12V socket on cars that have it installed? My car has 20A fuses plugged in both #87 and #88, but all three of the installed sockets (2 in the rear and 1 in the boot/trunk) are connected to #88.

Also, can anyone tell me the colour of the harness wire associated with fuse 87?
The way the Pre-LCI cars were wired were as follows.

Fuse 87 - Front socket and passenger footwell socket (US)
Fuse 88 - Both Rear sockets and boot socket.

You could tap into Fuse 88 via pins on a connector on the fuse box.

For the Fuse 87 to need to also tap into a connector X11012 on the rear fuse box over the battery. This is a large 32 pin connector and you will need to use pin 25 for the front socket (Green/White wire) and pin 24 for the passenger footwell socket (Green/Black wire). My biggest fear is that the wiring loom may not be present so it will require a very long wire from the front of the car all the way to the back fuse box.

I have WDS10 which doesnt seem to have the LCI cars on it. So all this information is for Pre-LCI car built after 2006-09
Old 06-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by Bart sMartWeed' post='439019' date='Jun 23 2007, 03:55 PM
I had exactly the same problem with my LCI 525d. I asked the tech people in the dealership to give me a solution and the proposal was to build an extra 12V outlet in somewhere but that would take about 3 hours of work because of the additional wires they had to put in. :thumbsdown:

In the opinion that it couldn't be possible BMW doesn't provide some kind of 12V outlet I read the manual again and ... there is one at the passenger side after the glove compartment. You have to know it is there else you won't see it. The dealer didn't know it either, I had to tell them!

So, no worries, there is one.

Could I just check, do you have a UK spec car? There seems to be differences between UK and specs for other countries.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by bob.a' post='439024' date='Jun 23 2007, 04:49 PM
I'm not quite clear what implications you were told about. UK pre-LCI "non-smoker's" cars did retain the 12V socket and I've not heard of any limitations different from those of "smoker's" cars - obviously, both are compatible with the Garmin GPS units BMW UK dealers sell. My rep knew the over-view of the console re-design, but evidently had not been warned that the effect of deleting the smoker's pack on an LCI car would be different from that he was used to on pre-LCI 5's and other models. So, he told me the socket would be fitted.

Bob.a

I had a look in the price list booklet for the LCI 5 series, the one that sets out the option prices and detailed specs. This states that the power sockets are retained when the smokers package is deleted, although it is not clear which power sockets they mean. It certainly has no warning that the front power outlet is deleted...

Have you checked under or around the glove box? Bruce Miranda says that he has a power socket under there somewhere, but not sure if his car is UK spec.

I may try to amend my order to put the smokers pack back in, but I suspect it may be too late...
Old 06-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by Lord Monkey' post='439424' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:07 AM
Have you checked under or around the glove box? Bruce Miranda says that he has a power socket under there somewhere, but not sure if his car is UK spec.
I have a UK spec car which as mentioned did NOT have the passenger footwell socket as found in the US spec cars. However as mentioned its very easy to retrofit that socket as you simply need to extend the front socket into the passenger footwell.
As for the issue with the LCI cars I understand that both the front socket and the passenger footwell socket are missing. So if you want to make an official retrofit you will need to pull a wire all the back to the fuse box over the battery.

The easiest thing in my opinion is to simply extend the rear sockets to the front socket. That way you only need a small bit of wire running inside of the armrest.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Members

My Ride: LCI E60 520d SE Manual, Jet Black/Natural Brown/Light Poplar, Auto A/C, Elec Front Seats+Lumbar & Driver Memory, SCA Doors, Thru Load, Auto Dim Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Xenons+High-beam Assist, LDWS, USB Audio, 244 wheels+RFTs (until worn) & S-S Spare

Originally Posted by Lord Monkey' post='439424' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:07 AM
Bob.a

I had a look in the price list booklet for the LCI 5 series, the one that sets out the option prices and detailed specs. This states that the power sockets are retained when the smokers package is deleted, although it is not clear which power sockets they mean. It certainly has no warning that the front power outlet is deleted...

I may try to amend my order to put the smokers pack back in, but I suspect it may be too late...
Lord Monkey

1) That price list was superceded by a new version (the current version) in which the Option (441) Descripion column reads "Can be deleted, which replaces the ashtrays with oddment trays. The 12V socket in the front is also deleted." I don't know when this version was distributed, but it is dated March 2007 - the same as the version you looked at.

2) Yes, there's definitely no front passenger footwell socket. My guess is the absence has something to do with the RHD design conversion. (There's also no socket on the Driver's side, though I suppose that might be considered unsafe.)

3) In your position I would attempt to get the change made, if only to lay a clear marker as to what your expectation was when you placed the order. It's a tricky problem to deal with once you've taken delivery.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bart sMartWeed' post='439019' date='Jun 23 2007, 05:55 PM
In the opinion that it couldn't be possible BMW doesn't provide some kind of 12V outlet I read the manual again and ... there is one at the passenger side after the glove compartment. You have to know it is there else you won't see it. The dealer didn't know it either, I had to tell them!

So, no worries, there is one.

Hi,

can you show some pictures of where is the exact place? Thanks.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tume' post='439442' date='Jun 25 2007, 12:15 PM
Hi,

can you show some pictures of where is the exact place? Thanks.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=20432

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter Power Wiring