E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cigarette Lighter Power Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: LCI E60 520d SE Manual, Jet Black/Natural Brown/Light Poplar, Auto A/C, Elec Front Seats+Lumbar & Driver Memory, SCA Doors, Thru Load, Auto Dim Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Xenons+High-beam Assist, LDWS, USB Audio, 244 wheels+RFTs (until worn) & S-S Spare

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='438863' date='Jun 23 2007, 03:36 AM
Can you use the flashlight in the glovebox? They sell adapters to covert them to a 12V cigarette lighter power adapter.
Thanks for pointing me to that - it could be a help. In any case, it looks generally useful and inexpensive enough that I'm buying one for future flexibility. However, it's BMW's mess and I've not yet given up on finding a fixed, clean, warrantable solution that they ought reasonably be expected to install.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bob.a' post='439013' date='Jun 23 2007, 03:37 PM
However, it's BMW's mess...
When I asked about the Smoker's Package Deletion, I was told (rightly or wrongly for pre-LCI) that this would or could have serious implications for powering accessories.

Taking that into account plus being aware of the potential resale market, I decided on the status quo.

Whilst it doesn't help with confirmation that pre-LCI retained a 12V supply when Smoker's Pack was deleted, it does show that not all BMW dealers are negligent in drawing customers' attention to these implications.

Was yours?

ABC
Old 06-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Members

I had exactly the same problem with my LCI 525d. I asked the tech people in the dealership to give me a solution and the proposal was to build an extra 12V outlet in somewhere but that would take about 3 hours of work because of the additional wires they had to put in. :thumbsdown:

In the opinion that it couldn't be possible BMW doesn't provide some kind of 12V outlet I read the manual again and ... there is one at the passenger side after the glove compartment. You have to know it is there else you won't see it. The dealer didn't know it either, I had to tell them!

So, no worries, there is one.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Members

My Ride: LCI E60 520d SE Manual, Jet Black/Natural Brown/Light Poplar, Auto A/C, Elec Front Seats+Lumbar & Driver Memory, SCA Doors, Thru Load, Auto Dim Folding Mirrors, Adaptive Xenons+High-beam Assist, LDWS, USB Audio, 244 wheels+RFTs (until worn) & S-S Spare

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='439016' date='Jun 23 2007, 03:47 PM
When I asked about the Smoker's Package Deletion, I was told (rightly or wrongly for pre-LCI) that this would or could have serious implications for powering accessories.

Taking that into account plus being aware of the potential resale market, I decided on the status quo.

Whilst it doesn't help with confirmation that pre-LCI retained a 12V supply when Smoker's Pack was deleted, it does show that not all BMW dealers are negligent in drawing customers' attention to these implications.

Was yours?

ABC
I'm not quite clear what implications you were told about. UK pre-LCI "non-smoker's" cars did retain the 12V socket and I've not heard of any limitations different from those of "smoker's" cars - obviously, both are compatible with the Garmin GPS units BMW UK dealers sell. My rep knew the over-view of the console re-design, but evidently had not been warned that the effect of deleting the smoker's pack on an LCI car would be different from that he was used to on pre-LCI 5's and other models. So, he told me the socket would be fitted.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bob.a' post='439024
As I understand it, this breaks from a long established BMW-wide practice of retaining the socket in non-smoker optioned cars. (Can any knowledgeable denizen of these forums confirm that?)
Originally Posted by bob.a' post='439024
At the time my LCI 520d was ordered, the dealer was not aware that, because of the new sliding drawer ashtray design, UK supplied cars without the Smoker Package (441) would be delivered without any 12V power socket in front.
That's why I wondered why/how the dealer/rep had been negligent.

ABC
Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bart sMartWeed' post='439019' date='Jun 23 2007, 03:55 PM
In the opinion that it couldn't be possible BMW doesn't provide some kind of 12V outlet.........
Those footwell outlets aren't fitted on UK delivered cars. (Or is it RHD cars?) So it may not be BMW's clear thinking that saved you - it might have been just luck!
Old 06-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='439026' date='Jun 23 2007, 05:04 PM
Oh I thought you were seeking confirmation from what I read below.
Unless I mis-reading this doesn't appear to be what you said in the OP.
That's why I wondered why/how the dealer/rep had been negligent.

ABC
No, I knew the socket was retained on pre-LCI E60s. I was seeking confirmation that it was also retained on a wide range of other BMWs over the years - certainly it was the case on the E36 coupe I bought in 1992. I'm wondering if the difference on these E60 LCI cars is actually very exceptional, or even unique. If you can shed any light (either way) on that, I'd be grateful.

Nor did I suggest the dealer or rep were negligent. To do that, I'd have to know they'd been given information that informed them of the change and I don't. In fact, I guess they were not and that there was some wider confusion about the matter within BMW. Building cars that can't support 12v socket gadgets doesn't strike one as the kind of thing the world's leading car company would be determined to do.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Members

Which fuse protects the front ashtray 12V socket on cars that have it installed? My car has 20A fuses plugged in both #87 and #88, but all three of the installed sockets (2 in the rear and 1 in the boot/trunk) are connected to #88.

Also, can anyone tell me the colour of the harness wire associated with fuse 87?
Old 06-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bob.a' post='439034
Nor did I suggest the dealer or rep were negligent.
Ah. OK. So your phrase of "BMW's mess" is not that strident a denouncement rather a comment declaring an element of dissatisfaction.

Fair enough.

ABC
Old 06-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='439044' date='Jun 23 2007, 06:12 PM
Ah. OK. So your phrase of "BMW's mess" is not that strident a denouncement rather a comment declaring an element of dissatisfaction.

Fair enough.

ABC
The main point is that it was a comment attributing responsibility for the mess to BMW; not to the dealer.

Regarding the somewhat less interesting question of whether it's a mess or an imperfection, I suppose one of the things that might colour one's opinion could be whether one happens to own a brand new GPS-unfriendly BMW, or not.

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter Power Wiring