5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Cigarette lighter power (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/cigarette-lighter-power-83138/)

speedmeister 08-09-2009 08:34 PM

I can't seem to get my Cigarette lighter outlet to power anything. The lighter works, but it won't power anything else.. My car is 04. Does anybody know the reason or have this issue?

BMW530ifan 08-09-2009 08:45 PM

I think you just have to push what ever you are trying to plug in, in really hard...maybe not. Mines on the frits as well, sometimes it works if I push it in and twist it around.

*thats what she said*

speedmeister 08-09-2009 08:55 PM

Yeah.. Tried that and broke the spring mechanism that pops the socket out.. :(

BMW530ifan 08-10-2009 12:19 AM

You could take it to the dealer and see if its working properly. Should be free if still under warranty. There is also another power outlet in the footwell of the passenger side.

armen_n 08-10-2009 12:40 AM

On the right site of the trunk there is a fuse box, check the fuses

luigi524td 08-10-2009 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by armen_n' post='970906' date='Aug 10 2009, 04:40 AM
On the right site of the trunk there is a fuse box, check the fuses

OP wrote the lighter works ... but the spring mechanism broke (maybe from being too forceful). The problem is likely the other 12v power plug is not making contact at the bottom of the lighter assembly. It may be broken and in need of replacement.

I too have found that 12 v power cords have slightly larger ends than are accommodated by our lighter sockets. Forcing a fit will definitely loosen or damage them. Some lithium lube may make the fit less troublesome. [I can just see the posts that follow after this recommendation] :unsure: :blush: :excl: :blush:

CWS530 08-10-2009 07:03 AM

I don't know if the cigarette lighter worked as I didn't try to light it, but I lost power to all my outlets at one point. It was a fuse issue.

theXman 08-10-2009 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by BMW530ifan' post='970899' date='Aug 10 2009, 04:19 AM
You could take it to the dealer and see if its working properly. Should be free if still under warranty. There is also another power outlet in the footwell of the passenger side.

+1 Try the other outlet and see if you get any power. It looks like the 1st one is damaged.

theXman 08-10-2009 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='970962' date='Aug 10 2009, 08:45 AM
OP wrote the lighter works ... but the spring mechanism broke (maybe from being too forceful). The problem is likely the other 12v power plug is not making contact at the bottom of the lighter assembly. It may be broken and in need of replacement.

I too have found that 12 v power cords have slightly larger ends than are accommodated by our lighter sockets. Forcing a fit will definitely loosen or damage them. Some lithium lube may make the fit less troublesome. [I can just see the posts that follow after this recommendation] :unsure: :blush: :excl: :blush:

What did you mean? There is nothing wrong to apply some lube every now and then. Its all good... :lol: :lol:

pjinca 08-10-2009 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='970962' date='Aug 10 2009, 05:45 AM

"now just bend over, this won't hurt a bit" OR "lemme get some lube, you got a purty mouth, BOY!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, mine doesn't work either, and it's only the one in the console - and I smoke, so this really SUCKS!!!!