E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Choosing Windshield Washer Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the last one week of snow and salty roads, I am more concerned of the salt on the road landing on body paint than the washer fluid from the headlight. I really think there r some many things in the air that are more corrosive to the paint than the washer fluid. So, I will buy my usual windshield wiper fluid from Walmart for 98cents
Old 12-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

[/quote]I am the only one that mentioned being glad I don't have the cold weather package. But, I did not advance the theory that the fluid might damage the paint. In fact, I indicated the opposite. And, as indicated, I am glad that I don't have the cold weather package simply because the the overspray gets on the hood, etc. I don't like in on the hood because I don't want to have to clean it off. And, it becomes more problematic if the hood is dusty. In this context, above, I said:

"I don't have a suggestion, but that's the reason [i.e., overspray, not potential paint damage] I am glad I don't have the cold weather package. But, of course, I live in Phoenix. I would guess that what BMW supplies [i.e., the washer fluid BMW supplies] would be OK [i.e., not damaging to the paint]. BMW is bound to know about the high likelihood of overspray."
[/quote]
I'm glad that you cleared that up,now I'll be able to sleep to night!
cheers
vern
Old 12-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I am the only one that mentioned being glad I don't have the cold weather package. But, I did not advance the theory that the fluid might damage the paint. In fact, I indicated the opposite. And, as indicated, I am glad that I don't have the cold weather package simply because the the overspray gets on the hood, etc. I don't like in on the hood because I don't want to have to clean it off. And, it becomes more problematic if the hood is dusty. In this context, above, I said:

"I don't have a suggestion, but that's the reason [i.e., overspray, not potential paint damage] I am glad I don't have the cold weather package. But, of course, I live in Phoenix. I would guess that what BMW supplies [i.e., the washer fluid BMW supplies] would be OK [i.e., not damaging to the paint]. BMW is bound to know about the high likelihood of overspray."
[/quote]
cheers
vern
[/quote]

Hi Vern:

I have never insulted or disrespected you in any way. As mentioned to you before, the cardinal rules of posting are be polite, down't flame, and be respectful of others. Besides the comments you have made to me before and the sarcasm above, I did not appreciate you referring to the theory incorrectly attributed to me as B/S above. I, for one, would like it if you would abide by the principles mentioned above on our forums.

Best regards,

vnod
Old 12-06-2005, 03:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='207437' date='Dec 5 2005, 11:53 AM
So, I'm here to ask if anyone has seen or heard any recommendations on fluids vis a vis the paintwork?

Just something else to worry about.

Ray Hull
I did a web search and can find nothing indicating that wiper fluid will do anything to paint other than remove the wax from it--at least over time. And, as some have mentioned, as I recall, you can make your own fluid--including versions that won't remove wax. But, some of the home brewed fluids will freeze. So, watch out for brewing freezes if you brew your own.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

cheers
vern
[/quote]

Hi Vern:

I have never insulted or disrespected you in any way. As mentioned to you before, the cardinal rules of posting are be polite, down't flame, and be respectful of others. Besides the comments you have made to me before and the sarcasm above, I did not appreciate you referring to the theory incorrectly attributed to me as B/S above. I, for one, would like it if you would abide by the principles mentioned above on our forums.

Best regards,

vnod
[/quote]
Will do.I can see that you have a very limited sence of humor,it was only a joke,(I'm glad that you cleared that up,now I'll be able to sleep tonight). Is there a cardinal rule about no joking that I don't know about?Lighten up.
cheers
vern
Old 12-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vern
cheers
vern
Hi Vern:

Best regards,

vnod
[/quote]
Will do.I can see that you have a very limited sence of humor,it was only a joke,(I'm glad that you cleared that up,now I'll be able to sleep tonight). Is there a cardinal rule about no joking that I don't know about?Lighten up.
cheers
vern
[/quote]

I am sorry I misinterpreted you. But, then there's the comment about my "limited sense of humor"--which seems derogatory I inferred that you were being sarcatic earlier because of other comments you have made to me. How about using 's when joking since they help to ensure that remarks are taken the way intended?--revealing the intentions behind comments that could be misinterpreted is sort of a cardinal rule. "Lighten up" is questionable admonition--sort of like "get a life." Generally, such phrases are meant in a critical/disapproving way, and 's would help clarify the intention. Thanks for replying and clearing things up (some).