E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Choosing Windshield Washer Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.
Thumbs up

I just read a post about choosing windshield washer fluids and that brought to mind the amount of overspray that the headlight washers put out. (I still haven't watched them work, but I have seen and smelled the fluid shooting in the air, back over my hood).

So, I'm here to ask if anyone has seen or heard any recommendations on fluids vis a vis the paintwork?

Just something else to worry about.

Ray Hull
Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I used about a gallon of WWF's (Windshield Washer Fluids) today driving about 400 km's on saltly roads in the snow.

On days like this, I use any stuff that holds -20 Celsius.
One must do so because one cannot be sure how cold it will be next week...

If you want to be sure, use what your dealer recommends.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

It is for this reason I never use the headlight washers.

I don't see how any solution meant for cleaning the headlights can be good or even ok for the paint.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

The headlights are cleaned with the same fluid that the windshield is cleaned with. Also, the headlights are cleaned every time you clean the windshield when the headlights are on and every fifth time after that.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='207437' date='Dec 5 2005, 11:53 AM
I just read a post about choosing windshield washer fluids and that brought to mind the amount of overspray that the headlight washers put out. (I still haven't watched them work, but I have seen and smelled the fluid shooting in the air, back over my hood).

So, I'm here to ask if anyone has seen or heard any recommendations on fluids vis a vis the paintwork?

Just something else to worry about.

Ray Hull
I don't have a suggestion, but that's the reason I am glad I don't have the cold weather package. But, of course, I live in Phoenix. I would guess that what BMW supplies would be OK. BMW is bound to know about the high likelihood of overspray.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

The wiper concentrate goes for $7.20 at the dealer (before the CC discount) and it makes 48 ozs of the mix....Ouch.

Am debating whether to use the $1/gallon solution from the local friendly auto store. Any suggestions?
Old 12-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='207530' date='Dec 5 2005, 04:04 PM
Am debating whether to use the $1/gallon solution from the local friendly auto store. Any suggestions?
Last year that was all i used on my previous e60. It did the trick. On this one...i might do the same. I think
i use de-iced for the winter.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

After many years of using the $1/gallon type of fluids, I can't say I've ever had a problem with it causing any paint damage. Just about every car on the road uses this type of fluid -- even without headlamp washers, the stuff gets on the paint.

Don't sweat it, just use the stuff...
Old 12-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='207673' date='Dec 5 2005, 09:30 PM
After many years of using the $1/gallon type of fluids, I can't say I've ever had a problem with it causing any paint damage. Just about every car on the road uses this type of fluid -- even without headlamp washers, the stuff gets on the paint.

Very well put!!!!!!!!! I've been using that $1.00 a gallon -20 degrees since they came out with windshield washers and never once had trouble with any kind of paint problem.The spray goes on the hood as well as the roof so whats the big deal if the spray from the head light washer gets on the hood its the same fluid.So the theory of not getting the cold weather package because of the spray getting on the hood and damaging the paint is B/S.
cheers
vern
Old 12-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by vern' post='207706

Very well put!!!!!!!!! I've been using that $1.00 a gallon -20 degrees since they came out with windshield washers and never once had trouble with any kind of paint problem.The spray goes on the hood as well as the roof so whats the big deal if the spray from the head light washer gets on the hood its the same fluid.So the theory of not getting the cold weather package because of the spray getting on the hood and damaging the paint is B/S.
cheers
vern
[/quote]I am the only one that mentioned being glad I don't have the cold weather package. But, I did not advance the theory that the fluid might damage the paint. In fact, I indicated the opposite. And, as indicated, I am glad that I don't have the cold weather package simply because the the overspray gets on the hood, etc. I don't like in on the hood because I don't want to have to clean it off. And, it becomes more problematic if the hood is dusty. In this context, above, I said:

"I don't have a suggestion, but that's the reason [i.e., overspray, not potential paint damage] I am glad I don't have the cold weather package. But, of course, I live in Phoenix. I would guess that what BMW supplies [i.e., the washer fluid BMW supplies] would be OK [i.e., not damaging to the paint]. BMW is bound to know about the high likelihood of overspray."

Quick Reply: Choosing Windshield Washer Fluids