E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Chirping fan noice inside dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:27 AM
NPe
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M6 E63 Sapphire black Z3 Coupe R4Turbo Hellrot, semi race. (670bhp) Z3 Coupe V8Turbo design work ongoing, full race. Sold: 545i Titanium Silver

Checked out the bolts = All ok.
To bad, I did actually hoped that the bolts would have been loose. And my problem should get solved.

The operation was a 10min. work. No problems
Picture of the bolts.
Chirping fan noice inside dashboard-p1260039.jpg

To get any result of the weekend, I changed the gear stick to the short shifter.
That I will show in a separate post
Chirping fan noice inside dashboard-p1260036.jpg
Old 01-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Members

My Ride: Gone: 2004 530i, Silver, Black interior Sport package, Nav, HUD, Xenons New: 2007 550i Sport, Silver, Black, SMG 2005 M3 Phoenix Yellow, Black, SMG

I'll take a swing at this. I've heard an occasional fan noise unrelated to the climate control from the passenger (right) side also. It also happens after a longer run in the car. There is something called the Control Unit Box, and it has a fan in it that could be kicking in when the brains get hot. I believe the box is behind the dash somewhere, although I haven't tried to find its exact location.

RealOEM page
Old 01-29-2008, 09:46 AM
NPe
Members

My Ride: M6 E63 Sapphire black Z3 Coupe R4Turbo Hellrot, semi race. (670bhp) Z3 Coupe V8Turbo design work ongoing, full race. Sold: 545i Titanium Silver

RoadTrip>>

We?ll have to find the box
After that, just feed the fan from a battery and see if the noise sounds familiar.

This is worth diggin in to.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Auto, Nav., Bluetooth, Cold Pkg., Comfort Seats, Premium Audio

Have you reached a resolution on this problem. I am having the same noise coming from the right passenger side. The relatively high pitched chirping noise occur intermittently whenever the fan kicks in and usually lasts for less that a minute.

Of course the it would not happen when the car is at the dealer so I am still stuck with this annoying problem. I have a 2004 545i also.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I had a small "chirping sound" coming from the middle of my sport steering wheel.

That was fixed at the dealers with some kind of "BMW oil".

Not a problem anymore!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
NPe
Members

Still got the f..ing noise :/
Old 09-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the CCC fan? it's located behind the CD/DVD units in the center of the dash
Old 09-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Auto, Nav., Bluetooth, Cold Pkg., Comfort Seats, Premium Audio

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='661011' date='Sep 3 2008, 01:58 PM
Have you checked the CCC fan? it's located behind the CD/DVD units in the center of the dash
I don't know if I will risk opening the dash. I don't get too technical with cars
Anyway, I will keep this "CCC" fan in mind next time I am at the dealer.

so now, to summarize, the possiblities are either CCC fan or Control Unit Box fan. Any other fans to the left of the glove compartment area? (not counting the ventilation system)
Old 09-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NPe' post='660985' date='Sep 3 2008, 02:37 PM
Still got the f..ing noise :/
By your posts I would say your hearing it straight ahead ( instrument panel or slightly to right) I had a chirping noise that was very noticeable but was coming from behind or underneath the glovebox. I do not have a CD changer in there.

The noise started when I reconfigured my temperature distribution in iDrive. My co-pilot likes it a little warmer than I so I changed the temp and airflow. Then I started getting a chirp/squeak, sounded just like a fan that needed oil.

The only thing I did was change the iDrive comfort settings so I went in and changed them back and the noise has never reappeared. The noise did resonate in the front but definetely louder on the passenger side.

I believe there is a electrical valve that was partly closed/open and it was the coolant circulation causing the noise, Just my thought cause I don't know what the heck it was.

Just for kicks if you think yours is similar change your comfort settings to cold and the majority of flow to vent.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 525 saloon, auto, Silver, artificial leather, USB, 244 wheels

is your 545 the same new tech as the late 2007 engines? maybe its the fuel-line bug which they recently fixed on our 525 with a hose change and reprogram - it sounded like a bird chirp.... only once warmed up

Originally Posted by NPe' post='518166' date='Jan 15 2008, 04:21 PM
I have searched the forum for old posts about similar problem, but all seems to be connected to slip stick problems.
Plastic creaking between two parts.

My problem seems to be connected to some single mechanical component making the odd noice.

I have noticed, after about 1h drive, a chirping fan noice starts inside the instrument panel.
Sounds like a small rotating fan with a pine tree needle in it, constantly warying in speed.
From a high pitched tick....tick....tick..tick.tick.tick tick, to frrrrrr Not that loud but noticable and annoying. And probably not mentioned to be.

The noice is located inside the dash, somewhere behind the glove compartment.
Funny thing is that it doesn?t start until about 1h drive.

I?ve tried to switch off the klima, change settings, turn on/off the AC = No effect.
My guess is that it is not connected to the ventilation system!?

Could it be some cooling fan for cd changer, amplifier or similar that is located inside the panel?

Anyway, it?s damn anoying and will probably not occur if I leave my car at the shop (As allways when you shall demonstrate something for the mecanics)

So, my hope is set to you

Quick Reply: Chirping fan noice inside dashboard