E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Chiming before you put on your seat belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by Canada545' post='256458' date='Mar 17 2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks everyone ... I've had this problem from the first day

I'm on v19

Perhaps its also related to my iDrive problems that started last week (no iDrive, no Nav, no Radio/CD, no Bluetooth)
Ouch, that I-Drive problem sounds nasty, I would imagine that this is all having effect on climate controls?
What has the dealer said about this?

As far as seat belts go, I have had occassions where wherin I fastened the seatbelt but for some reason I did not push the clip in hard enough and sure enough the chime continued until I pushed it in harder.

Good luck

Gabman
Old 03-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Geo
Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by Canada545' post='256389' date='Mar 17 2006, 01:33 PM
Also, on two occasions, with my seat belt on, the chime NEVER stopped. I had to turn my car off and on to make the chiming go away, am I the only one who has had this problem?
I have also experienced the same problem twice. I think that the problem is tied to the 37 degree (freezing) alert going off during start up since that is the only time that it has happened. I must say that it really frustrating that you have to turn off the car and restart it to silence the chime. I have a Sept 05 build with CIP 20
Old 03-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gabman' post='256466' date='Mar 17 2006, 01:43 PM
Ouch, that I-Drive problem sounds nasty, I would imagine that this is all having effect on climate controls?
What has the dealer said about this?

As far as seat belts go, I have had occassions where wherin I fastened the seatbelt but for some reason I did not push the clip in hard enough and sure enough the chime continued until I pushed it in harder.

Good luck

Gabman
The dealer says it a software bug that BMW is aware of and is hoping to have the fix in the next couple of weeks ...
Old 03-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

Originally Posted by adamrogers' post='256390' date='Mar 17 2006, 06:35 PM
I'm curious too.

Can you disable it altogether? Many times, I'll be driving in my neighborhood (under 25 mph) and I won't buckle up. The chiming is so annoying!!
remember even if you hit another vehicle oncoming at only 20 and your doing 20 thats an impact speed of 40mph!!

I witnessed an accident where a guy not wearing a belt hit a tree only doing around 30mph and while the airbag bruised his face he had damage to his wrists and one of his legs was broke clean in two just above the ankle i guess from applying the brakes and/or sliding forward just before the impact.

The a good old saying over this side of the pond

"clunk click every trip"

Regards the post, uk cars only chime if you drive off without belting up.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

I've had a problem on a couple of occassions where the seatbelt warning is chiming away even though I have my belt buckled up. Curiously enough it seemed to happen both times after dropping my daughter at school.

Engine hadn't been switched off, but I wonder if it was the sensor in the seat which hadn't quite worked out that there was nobody sitting in the passenger side any more. Once I stoppped and switched the engine off and back on again it stopped.

Sounds like you may have a faulty sensor if yours is going off all the time.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Canada545' post='256478' date='Mar 17 2006, 11:03 PM
The dealer says it a software bug that BMW is aware of and is hoping to have the fix in the next couple of weeks ...
Microsoft...

Glad they found out the bug!
Old 03-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Members

this is iDrive Crazyness >>> I think iDrive lost his mind

I noticed strange things such as Chiming even my seat buit is wearn and PDC turns on when I am on D mode ?? and AC switches on automaticaly ?? ... they happened very few times but .. it is strange ??

hope the car won't get mad on the road by itself ???
Old 03-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Members

My car chimes so much I'm just ignorning it. When I shut off the car and take the keys out of the ignition, the car will chime when I open the door. This won't do me much good when I really do forget the keys in the ignition.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: CURRENT 2005 M3 - Silver on black, Leather, Sport Package, SMG, PDC. (wife) 2004 545i - Black on Gray, Leather, Steptronic Transmission, Sport Package, Navigation, Active Steering.

I notice the chime as well but I have had many times where I just get in the car and drive to the local store and no chime, other times it will not shut up.

I also notice that my car chimes twice when I turn the key off and open the door. Is this normal?
Old 03-19-2006, 03:07 AM
Members

My Ride: Nov.2005,545i Black Sapphire, Auburn interior,SMG,Sport Package,Rear spoiler,35% tinted windows,Sirrius Radio,Xenon lights,DINAN High Flow Intake,DINAN Thottle Body, DINAN Free Flow Exhaust,DINAN 19" wheels,DINAN flywheel,

Originally Posted by Canada545' post='256389' date='Mar 17 2006, 01:33 PM
I understand the safety reason for the seat belt chiming when I start my car.

But it will still chime (when I turn the car on) even if I have my seat belt on before I started my car (it does stop after a short time)?

Also, on two occasions, with my seat belt on, the chime NEVER stopped. I had to turn my car off and on to make the chiming go away, am I the only one who has had this problem?

Hey, just this Friday it happened to me too
the chiming noise did not go away after I bucked up ( which I always do before take off)
I had to turn off engine to stop it
but i notice I had made the mistake of leaving parking lights on so I think it was some sort of warning for the possible battery voltage drainage that took place for doing such a stupid thing

Quick Reply: Chiming before you put on your seat belt