E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Checking Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008 | 06:27 AM
Members

Ok, I'm new... I admit it... Don't bite my head off, but I have another question... I just bought this car and pretty much EVERYTHING is new to me and NOTHING works like a "normal" car. I had to read the owner's manual in order to figure out how to get the stupid cigerett lighter to "release" itself from the front ash tray so I could plug in my phone charger. I know, stupid newbie, right? Well, here's another and the manual isn't much help. I tried to check the oil level using the dipstick. It wouldn't come out. Is there some trick to getting the darn thing out? I read in the manual that you have to bring the engine up to operating temp and then turn the car off, wait 5 minutes and then pull the dipstick. Is there some sort of timer that won't release the dipstick until after 5 minutes or is mine just stuck? I didn't want to break anything, so I didn't pull too hard (especially after my snafu with the stupid cigerett lighter episode which, by the way, is being replaced under warranty, thankfully!!! ) I could really use some help on this one. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-25-2008 | 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by Tex735' post='522702' date='Jan 25 2008, 07:27 AM
Ok, I'm new... I admit it... Don't bite my head off, but I have another question... I just bought this car and pretty much EVERYTHING is new to me and NOTHING works like a "normal" car. I had to read the owner's manual in order to figure out how to get the stupid cigerett lighter to "release" itself from the front ash tray so I could plug in my phone charger. I know, stupid newbie, right? Well, here's another and the manual isn't much help. I tried to check the oil level using the dipstick. It wouldn't come out. Is there some trick to getting the darn thing out? I read in the manual that you have to bring the engine up to operating temp and then turn the car off, wait 5 minutes and then pull the dipstick. Is there some sort of timer that won't release the dipstick until after 5 minutes or is mine just stuck? I didn't want to break anything, so I didn't pull too hard (especially after my snafu with the stupid cigerett lighter episode which, by the way, is being replaced under warranty, thankfully!!! ) I could really use some help on this one. Thanks in advance!!!
Tex735 Welcome.

It would help if you listed what year/model your car is (create a signature and list it there). Not to worry...unbelievable amount of knowledge here, someone will be able to answer your questions.
Old 01-25-2008 | 06:48 AM
Contributors

Welcome to the forum. Nothing is too silly here, and you need not make any excuses.
As ITNurse stated, it would help if you listed your car information (some models do not even have a dipstick).

Welcome again to the best source of E60 information on the web.
Old 01-25-2008 | 07:57 AM
Members

Thanks! I have updated my signature. My car is an '04 530i with the sports package. There is a dipstick according to the manual and I found it, but the thing seems to be stuck. I just want to make sure that it doesn't need to be topped off or anything. I have read on the forum about folks having to add a quart before the service interval because of the looooooong time between oil changes. I know the iDrive is supposed to tell you when it needs a top off, but I just don't trust it THAT far yet.

Thanks again!!!
Old 01-25-2008 | 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by Tex735' post='522734' date='Jan 25 2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks! I have updated my signature. My car is an '04 530i with the sports package. There is a dipstick according to the manual and I found it, but the thing seems to be stuck. I just want to make sure that it doesn't need to be topped off or anything. I have read on the forum about folks having to add a quart before the service interval because of the looooooong time between oil changes. I know the iDrive is supposed to tell you when it needs a top off, but I just don't trust it THAT far yet.

Thanks again!!!
Hey Tex.. should come out.. just pull on it.. sometimes because of the heat it can get nice and snug. Give it a good pull and it'll release.. Also, adding the quart of oil probably won't happen until 6-8k miles. Depending on how you drive as well.
Old 01-25-2008 | 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by Tex735' post='522702' date='Jan 25 2008, 09:27 AM
Hey, no worries. The car (and maybe the brand) is new to you and you don't want to assume anything and break something. We've all been in that boat (and some, like me, still are). I had a 3-series with a similar dipstick issue--really snug. It had a red ring at the top, and I had to twist it side to side a couple of times while pulling to dislodge it. Cheers.
Old 01-25-2008 | 08:53 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='522706' date='Jan 25 2008, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the forum. Nothing is too silly here, and you need not make any excuses.
As ITNurse stated, it would help if you listed your car information (some models do not even have a dipstick).

Welcome again to the best source of E60 information on the web.
+1. enjoy the forums

now my turn to ask a newbie question, sorry not to hijack your post, but just thought of it and was just wondering. with the e60s with a dipstick, can you still check the oil level in the idrive?
Old 01-25-2008 | 10:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='522764' date='Jan 25 2008, 05:53 PM
+1. enjoy the forums

now my turn to ask a newbie question, sorry not to hijack your post, but just thought of it and was just wondering. with the e60s with a dipstick, can you still check the oil level in the idrive?
No, there is no facility to check the oil through iDrive. I don't know if there is a low level alarm that comes in if your oil is too low - there probably is, but I hope I never see it!!

Mike
Old 01-25-2008 | 10:58 AM
Members

Ok, cool! Yep, red ring on top. Same as yours. I feel better now. I'll check it after I get home today. My license plates just came in so I have to pick them up at the dealer too!! This is a good day!!

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice!! Love the forum so far!!
Old 01-25-2008 | 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='522789' date='Jan 25 2008, 11:38 AM
No, there is no facility to check the oil through iDrive. I don't know if there is a low level alarm that comes in if your oil is too low - there probably is, but I hope I never see it!!

Mike
Older cars with the dip stick do not have the feature where you can check in the iDrive. it does warn you when your oil goes low though. When it becomes 1 quart too low. I know because I had that message twice now. Both times after an oil change... dealer didnt put enough oil in it.

So ya... for older cars by the time iDrive warns you... you're 1 quart low.

Quick Reply: Checking Oil