E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Check your battery compartment for water!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

Originally Posted by lim
where the fuck is the water coming from? is there some known seal / leak / hole ?
wondering the same thing... how is it actually getting in there
Old 11-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Members

I remember reading quite a few post on this and other forums and it turned out to be the drain that runs on the sides of the sunroof. I can't remember exactly the problems but it definitely had something to do with SUNROOF seal leak AND clogged drains. Also E60 are notorious for seal leal in the sunroof i myself had to get it fixed under warranty albeit it was not the leak but the noise stemming from it and figured it was a precursor of things to come hence got the seal replaced.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Members

How do you take the panel off that covers the battery? There are 2 plastic screws that hold the cover. I didn't want to brake anything but it is tight! Thanks 2009 535i
Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Members

Take off the 2 plastic nuts holding it down - they won't be that tight as they are made from plastic, then remove one screw on the side, just below the set of fuses. It will then wiggle out.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

Originally Posted by mels545
I was checking the compartment where the battery is located to see where I will mount the electronics modules that are located under the spare tire.
What modules are located here? Why do you want to move them? How will you move them considering the wiring?

Also where does the battery vent tube attach to vent the gas from the truck.
The vent tube attaches with a right angle fitting into the vent hole on the battery. Sometimes you have to look closely for it. The other end of the vent tube exits gasses to the outside air under the vehicle. (Not sure if this answers your question).
Old 11-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

Yes my vent tube is connected to the battery but I don't know were the other end connects to. The tube is about 6 inches long. Is there a hole in the compartment that the other plugs into to?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

There is a TIS I found on the bimmer forum that shows how to relocate the modules. There is enough wire to place them on the side under the fuse panel. In not at my home computer I'll post it later in the week if you can't find it.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Silber-grau/grau. Vanilla flavored except for cold WX pkg.

...Is there a hole in the compartment that the other plugs into to?
When I replaced my battery I never noticed how the tube exited the compartment, I just plugged the vent tube back into the new battery. I feel confident that someone on here can tell you tho.

I'll look for the TIS on the modules. Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good mod to make.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Members

I've just followed the instrucions on this site for pulling away the drainage tubes from the inside, thus popping off the crimped ends and putting the tubes back. Car has been in the garage so haven't yet done a drainage check.
It seems to be the first thing to do and is also free so you can't really go wrong, unless u break something!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

I remember now that the gap that I was talking about is normally covered by the tailight lens and requires removal of the tail light to see. Again if pour a small amount of water in a cup and pour it along the crease on the roof on the passenger side, should be able to see where the water goes.

Quick Reply: Check your battery compartment for water!