E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Check your battery compartment for water!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

I was checking the compartment where the battery is located to see where I will mount the electronics modules that are located under the spare tire and I found about an inch of water under the battery! I looks like it's been where awhile because of some rust forming.
Has anyone located the sources of leaks into the truck?
Also where does the battery vent tube attach to vent the gas from the truck. Seems like if the battery is vented into the trunk confines that there may be a explosion risk if there is any type of spark from all the electric components near the battery if is not vented to the outside.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it adequate to use a flashlight to peer down the sides of the battery to the floor, or do you need to remove the battery to see? I did the former and don't see any signs of water, but did not remove the battery to look underneath.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 AM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

where the fuck is the water coming from? is there some known seal / leak / hole ?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 95 M3 CAI, chipped, pulleys, Xbrace, doesn't give headaches every time I start up! 04 545i all the goodies INCLUDING HEADACHES!

I looked with a flashlight. it's obvious if there's allot of water. I had to remove the battery to soak the water up with a towel. The battery sits on a tray about 1/4 inch above the floor. If there is a small amount of water it may be only under the tray and difficult to remove. You'll have to remove the battery to get it out. Watch your back the battery weighs around 40 lbs!. Disconnect and reconnect the ground terminal 1st. I could find any tell-tail water mineral deposits that would indicate where the leak was coming from.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Members

I have exactly the same thing. Whilst exploring my touring I discovered an inch of water around my battery. The spare tyre void also had a few dribbles too. Worrying as there are important electrics in there.
More annoying too as the car had been into the main dealer a Month before I bought it. They had obviously just left it.

A torch will allow you to see if water is accumulating. You can just slide your hand in there to feel for water. I just used several towels to soak it up rather than remove the battery.

The area under the boot load tray was also damp with it wet on the opposite side. I did see a few drops of water under the rear 3/4 window but no obvious signs of ingress. Seems we have the same problem. Does yours have the panoramic roof? Mine does.

Neil
Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Members

No panorama roof. e60 545i with normal sunroof.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone who is finding water leaks, what model year is your car?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Members

Mine is a Nov 2005 touring.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Members

04 545i
Old 11-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Titanium Silver. Bridgestone 760s on Weds Bavaria II 18" wheels, standard sport pack size. Sport, AT. Latest job - NGK Iridium IX plugs installed.

In my case the water came in from the rubber flaps on the side. The flaps were replaced, but the water kept coming in. I used a cup of water to check how the water drains off the roof to find where the water came in from. There was a gap between the body and bumper that I sealed with some silicone sealant, and this fixed the problem for me. The water is supposed to run through the bumper, but the gap was allowing it to drip over the flap. I may have mentioned this and posted a picture in a previous thread. There have been numerous threads on this subject, you should go through and check them as not all the cases were the same.

Quick Reply: Check your battery compartment for water!