E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Check Engine Light!...1st Time

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Thank you for all who replied... I didn't get a chance to check the ohms. I just went ahead and replaced the thermostat and cleared the code. I've been driving for a couple of days now and the code hasn't come back so I'm guessing I'm ok. Thermostat was only $60 at the dealer n I did it myself took about an hr considering where I changed it at. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Ok, so I was driving yesterday and my CEL came on again with the same message. Checked the code and once again P0128 something about the coolant temp low (i should have written it down).I cleared the code to see if it pops back up and BOOM came back on today, keep in mind I drove the car all day yesterday after clearing it. What are the chances the new thermostat is faulty, has anyone had this problem. The light was off since I first posted this thread until now.Could this be anything else? All help is appreciated.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

I replaced this coolant temp sensor (pt# 13-62-1-433-076) before doing the thermo thinking it was causing my CEL light. Turned out to be my thermostat, but this does sense the temp of coolant going into engine. This part is relatively cheap and real easy to replace, it's about $10 usd. It's right on the water pump housing just above the thermo. Good luck
Old 09-22-2013, 07:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
I replaced this coolant temp sensor (pt# 13-62-1-433-076) before doing the thermo thinking it was causing my CEL light. Turned out to be my thermostat, but this does sense the temp of coolant going into engine. This part is relatively cheap and real easy to replace, it's about $10 usd. It's right on the water pump housing just above the thermo. Good luck
Ok, I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow to familiarize myself with the location. What needs to be removed to change the sensor if anything. Also should I change my thermostat again? I just changed it last month.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Ok, I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow to familiarize myself with the location. What needs to be removed to change the sensor if anything. Also should I change my thermostat again? I just changed it last month.
You'll see this sensor just above the thermo location, you can't miss it. A two pin connector staring straight at ya (right below the tube leading into the throttle body). Just disconnect and use an adjustable wrench to remove or, a large deep socket (forgot what size).

Like previously mention I'd check the resistance on your thermo before removing it again. Did you save your old thermostat? If you did check that too so you can compare the two. Good luck
Old 09-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

You'll see this sensor just above the thermo location, you can't miss it. A two pin connector staring straight at ya (right below the tube leading into the throttle body). Just disconnect and use an adjustable wrench to remove or, a large deep socket (forgot what size).

Like previously mention I'd check the resistance on your thermo before removing it again. Did you save your old thermostat? If you did check that too so you can compare the two. Good luck
Yea you damn sure cant miss it, I took a look at it this morning. I'll order the part and swap it out and measure the resistance before changing the thermo again, hopefully this will fix the problem. Im not sure if I still have the old one I'll take a look and do the same. Definitelty appreciate the response bro.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
Sometimes a burned out thermostat heater coil will generate a P0128. Also many other things it could be, but this one is easy to check.

Pull the harness connector off the thermostat and measure the resistance between the two contacts on the thermostat. Should be around 16ohms. If it measures 1 that means and open circuit (infinite resistance) and the coil is gone.

Coil is designed to help the thermostat open faster under heavy engine load and if the coil is burned out it really won't hurt anything (or affect emissions) but the light is annoying. Thermostat must be replaced.

Resistance on the thermostat is about 15.?? OHMS.Somthing a little under 16 not sure of the exact number, once I saw it wasnt 1 I assumed the thermo is still good. So im going to go ahead and order the temp. Sensor and clear the code once I replace it. Does it matter what brand the sensor is ECS has the sensor for as cheap as $8.00 and of course the BMW replace for about $30 there's another one thats like $12. Thank You.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Contributors

Use this site (where I bought mine)

BMW Parts - BMW Auto Parts - Discount BMW Parts - Bimmer Parts Web

or this

BMW Parts, Porsche Parts, Audi VW Mini Volvo Saab Mercedes Auto Parts - RM European Auto Parts

I believe it's the same company. I bought the OEM for ~$13 usd and it got here (Vegas) in 2 days.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

Use this site (where I bought mine)

BMW Parts - BMW Auto Parts - Discount BMW Parts - Bimmer Parts Web

or this

BMW Parts, Porsche Parts, Audi VW Mini Volvo Saab Mercedes Auto Parts - RM European Auto Parts

I believe it's the same company. I bought the OEM for ~$13 usd and it got here (Vegas) in 2 days.
You the man bruh, I ordered the part this morning. I'm honestly contemplating buying another thermostat and installing it with the new sensor so atleast I know I changed both. I've been monitoring my temps thru the menu on the dash seems to be heating up fine everytime I check it. I know with the bad sensor probably only takes a couple cold readings for it to set the light I'm guessing. I was reading thru an old thread you participated on and Bimmerfan wrote that the low reading can also be my fan running too much but idk how I would tell when I open the hood with the car running after driving its on but I cant hear it in the cabin. Soon as I turn the car off it turns off atleast the last 2 times I checked. What are the symptoms of the thermo stuck open, my heat also still works I've read that it wouldnt if it was stuck. Sorry for the essay bro. Thank You
Old 09-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

Got in the car today after the gym... Light randomly is gone no clearing or anything its just off. Im stumped. anyone?

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light!...1st Time