E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Check Engine Diagnosis Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Diagnosis Help

Hello guys,

For months I've been battling with the "Increased Emissions" error along with the SES Light on the dash. I've been deleting the faults in hopes that they will not return, but they keep coming back. It seems it happens when the car is idling for some time such as at a Traffic light or simply while warming up at home.

I've diagnosed it a few times using DIS and INPA and it keeps giving me the same codes.

Code: 2882
Code: 2883
Code: 276D

After lots of googling i've narrowed it down to a few things.

First of all the code 276D related to a faulty tank ventilation valve, so I went ahead and ordered a new one (still waiting for it to ship)

Now for the codes 2882,2883, People mention that it is due to a Vacuum Leak somewhere. I would like to diagnose that, by possibly using carb clearner? Where is the common place to check for these and or the best way to do it.

If you guys have any other possible solutions or tips, please do chime in. The car is a 2005 E60 525i. M54 engine.

I'm attaching some pictures to hopefully aid someone in coming up with a response. Thank you.

Part i am replacing (waiting for it)

Old 11-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Members

Had similar vaccum leak/lean codes and it was a bad ccv and a busted ccv hose. The ccv system has 4 different hoses and mine turned out to be a busted dipstick to ccv hose. I also had a bad ccv itseld that was sending oil to the intake manifold and caused a lot of smoke on startup along with a bad idle. If you look at the very bottom of the dipstick tube, there is a hose that branches off from there to the ccv which is behind the throttle body. Try spraying the carb cleaner along this hose and well as the other 3 ccv hoses once you ID them.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Members

thanks for the quick reply, Yeah i've never had to diagnose for a vacuum leak, so this is a first for me. I am also skeptical about spraying carb cleaner around the engine. I will try to locate this CCV, are there any pictures you could provide that show these hoses and or the CCV (possibly off another site?)
Thanks Kushane!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Members

The second diagram on this thread shows the hoses that are part of the ccv. I had a leak on hose #4 and the ccv pump itself was broken. The ccv system on the M54 engines are a common point of failure. Other places to look for would be the 90 degree accordion-like pipe just after the air-filter box. and the smaller idle-air controller hose that branches off from the accordion pipe just before it goes into the throttle body.

I was skeptical too about spraying car cleaner or any other flammable substance in the engine bay, but it works really well. Just remember to use the straw that comes with the can so you can direct it at specific places. Also keep a fire-extinguisher handy for good measure.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Members

Alright thanks so much, this helps me in terms of where to start. I will go and purchase some carb cleaner at autozone or something and check this out. (I'm waiting for my tank vent valve to come in as well). I really do hope my CCV is in good working order. Is there a telltale sign of it failing? (something i should specifically check?)
Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Too lean? Clean your air filter and mass air flow sensor. If there was a vaccum leak you would know it, your car would idle funny.
I would say think about repalcing camshaft position sensor (intake side) as it's like a $10 part but you're not getting codes for that.
Do not spray carb cleaner at your engine. There's a reason why this is termed a "hillbilly" method.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Members

The car has a normal idle as far as I can tell. The rpm's do fluctuate i'd say in the range of 620-680. At times when the car is warmed up and you start it, it could have a bad idle for a few seconds, which bugs me. I was suggested that this could be because of a vacuum leak, and I am not sure of the best way to test for one, since you are not advising to spray Carb cleaner.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

It's called a smoke test. But do what you need to do. What don't you try using a tankful of techtron and premium fuel before going through all of that and make sure your MAFS and Air filter are cleaned.
What don't you first delete the EM and IM because that fault is not currently present...that means it's shadow memory so must have been from bad gas. All of them were temporary faults besides the tank ventilation which I can't see if EM or Shadow.

Last edited by AchtungE60; 11-28-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Members

I just purchased a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner, will clean it out tonight when I get home. As far as there being no EM/IM, that is because I have been clearing them countless times with INPA. should i scan again and log/save the info and post it here for you to check it out before I clear them?

I have used Lucas fuel/injector cleaner before, which techron should i use? There is an injector cleaner and fuel system cleaner one (12 and 20gallon tank.)

I was also searching and wondering about using seafoam, but at the moment, I am going to stay away from it.

Thanks Acht
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Members

also, while you mentioned that it could be a shadow (IE: previous fault/fault not present). What about the SGM/airbag fault that is there. It was never cleared and is on in the car. That is wierd.

(I am still having trouble with the SGM haha... I even took it out to look at it and check all wires/connections. The SGM unit looks perfect, such a wierd issue.)

Quick Reply: Check Engine Diagnosis Help