E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chassis, Axle, Shocks lifetime - wear???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]
Thumbs up

BMW enthusiasts I have around me say that BMW is very sensitive to axle components wear off faster than any other cars..... This is simply a know fact and a price we have to pay the superb driving abilites of the car..... Nobody of those has E60 thou.... it is all previous models of BMWs they have experience with.....

They generaly say that with bad roads it is no problem to change some axle / chassis components in like 30000km (19000mls) an up.....

So what is your experience fellow E60 owners?
I still have low mileage to be able to tell on my own.....

anyone? what about you eastern european guys? i suppose your roads are the same $hit as here.....
Old 04-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Senior Members

I don't know how bad the roads are there or how much load is normally carried but this is news to me. And I'm not new to BMWs and have owned many over the years. I know some Toyota's/Lexus's have had axle issues (even leading to a recall) but I have never known of problems with BMW 5ers.

Maybe it's time to look into some thing with full floating axles like a Defender.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='273090' date='Apr 23 2006, 09:22 PM
BMW enthusiasts I have around me say that BMW is very sensitive to axle components wear off faster than any other cars..... This is simply a know fact and a price we have to pay the superb driving abilites of the car..... Nobody of those has E60 thou.... it is all previous models of BMWs they have experience with.....

They generaly say that with bad roads it is no problem to change some axle / chassis components in like 30000km (19000mls) an up.....

So what is your experience fellow E60 owners?
I still have low mileage to be able to tell on my own.....

anyone? what about you eastern european guys? i suppose your roads are the same $hit as here.....
I've run several BMW's in recent years generally up to around 90,000 miles.

I have never had any chassis or axle problems. In fact the only mechanical problem I have EVER experienced with a BMW was a valvespring failure on an early valvetronic 318 touring.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

come on guys.... well no info, good info... meaning no problems
Old 04-29-2006, 05:15 AM
Contributors

damn E60 must be great since no negative feedback on this
Old 04-29-2006, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='275650' date='Apr 29 2006, 02:15 PM
damn E60 must be great since no negative feedback on this
Well I just hope the e60 is like the old 5 series - there are tonnes of them stillin use in the UK many with VERY high mileage.

Just check out www.bmwland.co.uk
Old 04-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Members

I cant say about the E60 5er's but i know that with my E46, it was running on Eibach Springs and Sachs shocks and i took it to the track occasionally and even to a farm once on an unsealed road..

Bumpy as hell no doubt but no problems from the car during my whole ownership.. all i can say is that if anything goes wrong, i only hope that im still covered under warranty..

the prices of BMW parts and repairs really scare me... esp some horror stories ive heard...

Regards,
Kenny
Old 04-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by k3nny' post='275890' date='Apr 30 2006, 12:15 AM
the prices of BMW parts and repairs really scare me... esp some horror stories ive heard...
FWIW, I find most parts to be average priced. It's the unique BMW parts such as options only available on a BMW or things like some electronics that are expensive. Compare the price of a radiator for your E60 and say some thing like my wifes Toyota Sienna and they're about the same (even labor).
Old 04-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='273090' date='Apr 23 2006, 10:22 PM
BMW enthusiasts I have around me say that BMW is very sensitive to axle components wear off faster than any other cars..... This is simply a know fact and a price we have to pay the superb driving abilites of the car.....
Believe me, BMW is incomparable to Alfa Romeo. You have to own an Alfa someday to know what is the price you have to pay to get superb driving abilities of a car . Enjoy the reliability of your BMW while it lasts .