E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

changing your seat cushion from passenger to drivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was interested in changing the foam cushion from the passenger seat comfort seat to the drivers due to the passengers is unused and the drivers is pretty used. I got as far as removing the thigh support bolster and plastic cover that the thigh bolster is above. There are about 10 little metal round clips that hold the leather in place over the foam cushion but dont know what kind of tool could be used to cut these in a way where I could somehow re-use them as they have no latch-they are welded or something. anyone tried this or have an idea?

On a related note I switched the passenger thigh support cushion to drivers side as that is very easy. It is also a nice opportunities to clean the area under the thigh bolster/plastic piece beneath when you take it off-a lot of crap gets embedded in there. But the upside is the thigh bolster is brand new and that part gets a fair bit of wear due to its location.

any thoughts
Old 07-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I cant help, but I wanted to chime in to say this is a great idea!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Diamond
There are about 10 little metal round clips that hold the leather in place over the foam cushion but dont know what kind of tool could be used to cut these in a way where I could somehow re-use them as they have no latch-they are welded or something. anyone tried this or have an idea?
Disconnect the battery first! The OC3 mat (passenger occupancy seat sensor) is part of the airbag system. The normal procedure is to disable the OC3 mat using the BMW scan tool but disconnecting the power will work too.

Once you get the trim removed you should be able to unhook the 'retaining points' by stretching them and pulling.

There are 16 (not 10) clips that hold the cushion to the tension wires. They have to be cut. You might be able to cut them and re-use them but... I've done that on other cars and it is a FPITA.

BMW tool 52 0 050 will bend the new clips back in place. Otherwise ask around for 'hog clips' and 'hog ring pliers' which is essentially what the BMW tool is.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Banned

Thanks a lot-i didnt even think of the airbag and disconnecting the battery-I am glad I didnt set something off when I removed the pieces from the seats yesterday.

What do you mean by retaining clips v. the 18 other clips that you mention. When I had it all open, I saw the round clips holding the leather over the cushion-I didnt see any retaining clips seperate from this-??
Old 07-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Diamond
Thanks a lot-i didnt even think of the airbag and disconnecting the battery-I am glad I didnt set something off when I removed the pieces from the seats yesterday.

What do you mean by retaining clips v. the 18 other clips that you mention. When I had it all open, I saw the round clips holding the leather over the cushion-I didnt see any retaining clips seperate from this-??
Humm, I was following the repair manual. There are 15 hog clips that hold the fabric on - maybe you're already at this level.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:50 AM
Members

What a great idea.

OP could you take some pics along the way and create a DIY?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Banned

Beleive it or not I have no camara-must be the only one, but will do a step by step write up-its is actually quite easy and you could tackle it yourself.

You litterally remove 2 torx screws that are located under the thigh bolster (it has to be fully extended). This removes the thigh cushion. Then you simply pop off the plastic piece underneath the thigh cushion by yanking up and pullying pretty hard-they are pressure clips holding it in but nothing to undo/unscrew.

This exposes the 15 hog wires or whatever-the clips that I have to tackle with the tool that was mentioned-I ened to go to autozone today to take a look.

At the very least atleast swap the thigh bolster and clean out underneath and between the plastic.