E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Changing Out Of My Snow Tires (1rst Time)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order for European Delivery 550i SilverGrey Sports, Winter, Prem Pkg, Prem sound, NAV, HUD, comfort seats

Got my 550 in the winter. Dealer switched the reg rim/tires to my snow rims/tires

Weather is nice, time to change, going to dealer is further away than I care to drive.

Does it matter which garage I take it to? This is my first BMW and perhaps this is a naive question, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks all

Steve....
Old 03-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cyclist' post='263087' date='Mar 31 2006, 01:14 PM
Got my 550 in the winter. Dealer switched the reg rim/tires to my snow rims/tires

Weather is nice, time to change, going to dealer is further away than I care to drive.

Does it matter which garage I take it to? This is my first BMW and perhaps this is a naive question, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks all

Steve....

Do you have two sets of tires and only one set of rims? If so, I've not hade good luck with dealer mounting tires. They always damage the rims, minor scratches, but after several mountings they start to look bad.

I later found out my dealer has just a reguler tire mounting machine and they send out the " high end" jobs on the 760 and Z8 type cars.

If you have two complete sets of wheels/tires The dealer would be fine.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Members

My Ride: On Order for European Delivery 550i SilverGrey Sports, Winter, Prem Pkg, Prem sound, NAV, HUD, comfort seats

Originally Posted by noonehome' post='263092' date='Mar 31 2006, 02:32 PM
Do you have two sets of tires and only one set of rims? If so, I've not hade good luck with dealer mounting tires. They always damage the rims, minor scratches, but after several mountings they start to look bad.

I later found out my dealer has just a reguler tire mounting machine and they send out the " high end" jobs on the 760 and Z8 type cars.

If you have two complete sets of wheels/tires The dealer would be fine.

I have two complete sets of tires, dealer is a ways off and would prefer a local garage. Just worried that they might f... it up. Was wondering if I need to be worried
Old 03-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

Originally Posted by Cyclist' post='263087' date='Mar 31 2006, 01:14 PM

Thanks all

Steve....
You should be fine bringing it anywhere, like NTB. NTB will usually do it for free- the consider it a rotation which they do not charge for, even if the tires were not purchased there.

Better yet, invest in a floor jack, torque wrench ( set to 88-ft-lbs), an extension for the troque wrench, and a 17mm deep well socket and you can do it yourself with out the hassles of loading up your car or truck with wheels and making multiple trips to the installer.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nicknec' post='263098' date='Mar 31 2006, 02:43 PM
You should be fine bringing it anywhere, like NTB. NTB will usually do it for free- the consider it a rotation which they do not charge for, even if the tires were not purchased there.

Better yet, invest in a floor jack, torque wrench ( set to 88-ft-lbs), an extension for the troque wrench, and a 17mm deep well socket and you can do it yourself with out the hassles of loading up your car or truck with wheels and making multiple trips to the installer.

No thanks, the best tool I own is the checkbook!
Old 03-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hello Steve,

Why don't you change the wheels yourself?

If you'll take the job to any garage be sure that they are not hillbillys.

The car must be lifted up from the exact right places,
and the wheels must be taken care of with smootness.

You have aluminum rims and a sensitive car to badly balanced wheels etc.

The bolts must not be wrenched to truck measures with a high
pressure bolt pistol.
The right measure is 120 Nm (in ft-lbs see your manual).

Be sure that the wheels are scratch free changed and after a few hundred
miles check out the bolts with a torque wrench.

Check out the tyre pressures every month!

Old 03-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Since you have a separate set of summer tires/wheels, it shouldn't matter where you take it - just make sure they are reliable and will take good care of you without scratching the wheels.

On the other hand, taking to the dealer might give you a peace-of-mind since they know what they are doing (at least in most cases), and cost might be comparable. You yourself said it... "...better safe than sorry". Also, frequent dealer visit may help build your relationship with them for future needs.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Good (foreign car) repair shops generally welcome this kind of work, (mine does, now that my new car is under warranty). They used to do all my 540 work and are really decent. That's where I'd go, and you get to establish a new contact for these kinds of non-dealer-necessary work items, at a labor rate half that of the dealer.

But even a reliable tire dealer (maybe a Michelin dealer) would also be a good bet. I always ask them to torque to specs--88ft/lbs----i.e. NOT to over-tighten the bolts, so I can get them off if I have a flat.

Can't wait to hear your report, and I can't wait to get back into my performance tires, except that they are thumpflats.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 03-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

A tire shop near me in Chicago (where I bought my winter wheels/tires) stores the off-season set for free, and swaps them for free. I guess they figure (a) it will make me loyal so I'll buy my next set, and (b) it earns some tips for the garage guys. They're totally professional. I don't know how rare this is, but it's great. I just roll in without an appointment (did so yesterday), they fetch the tires and swap 'em out, and I'm good.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

I've been going to Discount Tire and have been pretty happy with them. As pointed out by nicknec, a lot of these places will do this for free now. The thought being that they can catch any issues with your tires and sell you a new one if needed (not a bad business philosophy).

However, on my last vist to Discount Tire, they forgot to tighten the valve caps on my GS430. I think this is because they were wearing gloves. The next day I noticed that one of my chrome valve caps was gone and the three other ones were barely on. The car was being returned that day to Lexus so I was not too worried -but had it been my 550.....