E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Changing my mind... E60 ordered - Option Feedback pls

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='392885' date='Feb 18 2007, 05:30 PM
Is the sound so bad ?

I've got my order in and slot is booked, if the std euro hi fi is as bad as suggested here i may opt for the upgrade.... I could do with more opinions on this please.

R
Bad? Oh yes it is! With the LCI there are now 4 levels of Audiophilia.

The standard isn't good for anything, it's really bad actually.

The second level, 676 Hi-Fi, should IMO be standard on a premium car, but BMW has always been good at making money... Nice sound, but not more.

The third level is the 677 Logic7. It sounds really nice and I especially liked the "warmness" of the voices.

The fouth level is a newbie, 752 DIRAC. It's said among those who have listened to the X5 with DIRAC that the sound is "impressive".
Old 02-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vji6697' post='392834' date='Feb 18 2007, 11:58 AM
Hi all.

I placed an order for an LCI E61 525d last month. Thought I needed the space that the tourer gives you, but was back at the dealers yesterday (trying the 523i out for size) when i realised that I can get a E60 with drop down rear seats.

The 523i was nowhere near as "fun" to drive as the 525d, so I will be sticking to the diesel, but moving now to the saloon. With the extra ?2K saved, I decided to spend it on extra toys

So, My new motor in Wk 12[ish] will be...

525d SE Auto
Silver Grey
244 Dbl Spoke Alloys
Luxury Pack (Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Bamboo)
Comfort Seats
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Extended Interior Light Pack
BMW Prof Radio
USB Audio
Drop down seats
Visibility Pack
Folding Mirrors
Active Cruise.
Now the last 4 are the extra toys I am putting on above what I had specified for my E61. Have a few questions for the group.

1. Drop down seats -> Im assuming it will be a 60/40 split like most hatchbacks ? The dealer wasnt so sure and he didnt have any E60s with this feature in

2. Folding Mirrors -> are these worth ?330 ? or are they a novelty ? Do you use them much ?

3. Cabin -> Sat in an 523i M Sport with Black leather, black roof etc. It was very dark inside. have to say, the rear darkened windows did not help, but can anyone with the same interior post a pic or comment on this. My current car has beige leather and I find the interior to bright and it gets dirty very easily so wanted a dark colour. Saw a sample of Grey Leather, but that looked too light for me too.

4. Anyone seen/tried the Stop/Go Cruise ? My current motor has a similar feature, but doesnt break to 0, it only works from 25mph upwards, still a good feature on the motorways, so got to have this

5. Rear Electric Blinds -> As per folding mirrors, are these any good ? Not currently selected them though.

I have a week or two to finalise my choice. My slot has been booked (so the dealer says) but part of me wishes wk 10 was already here so I wont be able to think any more about the options

Comments and opinions most welcome. I dont want to buy an option that is a lemon, but dont want to miss a "must have" option either... decisions decisions ....
Am I being blind but have you not got any sat nav - media pack? Just think on that kind of spec you should have sat nav - for resale if nothing else/

I have the tourer so only have side window blinds - never noticed a rattle
Old 02-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 535dBoy' post='393060' date='Feb 19 2007, 07:07 AM
Am I being blind but have you not got any sat nav - media pack? Just think on that kind of spec you should have sat nav - for resale if nothing else/

I have the tourer so only have side window blinds - never noticed a rattle
Umming and Ahing over the sat nav/media pack.

My current car has it, and while its useful on occasions, I dont think its ?1.6K useful I also have a tomtom for the wifes car and I can use that / get something else for a fraction of the price.
As for handsfree, the only people who will really benefit from it is my employers, and seeing as they are not contributing, why bother. I have a bluetooth headset if I really need to use it.

I am not too concerned about resale values as I plan to keep this car for at least 10 years.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vji6697' post='393066' date='Feb 19 2007, 07:30 AM
I plan to keep this car for at least 10 years.
You will kick yourself if you don't have the HiFi Upgrade (and though I'm no great fan of the audio quality, DAB radio too).

Now I know that it always feels as though those who have bought an option always defend their choice but everyone on here who has chosen Adaptive Headlights is enthusiastic. I guess if most of your driving is Motorway based you wouldn't notice much difference. (Or are Adaptive Headlights in the Visibility Pack??).

Bi Xenons? Are they in the Visibility Pack?

ABC
Old 02-18-2007, 11:17 PM
Members

1. From memory the seats are 60/40, quite simple to use, from the back seat push a button and they hinge forward going quite far down, great for all the larger stuff.

2. Folding mirrors. As stated these mirrors are also auto dimming so just get on with the job without anoying you. You can fold the mirrors in when locking the car by holding the lock button for an extra second. This wasn't enabled on my car by default, read about it on here. Can only be enabled by the dealer. I basically use this function every time I lock the car because a. less chance of damage and b. It's a good visual indicator that the car is locked, the lights do flash but 1-2 secs after you lock which is a pita.

3. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=636&hl= Picks of my car, it's 3 years old on the 1st !!! I'dont find it dark at all and it doesn't need much cleaning unlike beige whic is dirty every couple of thousand miles. If your keeping it 10 years then black is the only option imo

4. I think I'd want active cruise next time round, I'm on a long single carriage way a lot so will suit me, if your on motorways a lot the opinion seems to be this is a bad thing as it allows people to cut you up all the time.

Personally I wouldn't bother getting extended light package for my next car, currently I don't see much difference in the cabin and it adds two lights to the wing mirrors which I've hardly noticed.

Get the heated steering wheel instead, it might sound like a gimic but it's something I probably use 8 trips out of 10, it's almost always on unless it's summer time. No more driving for 15 minutes sitting on one hand while holding the steering wheel with 2 fingers waiting for car to heat up. Believe it or not if I could pick one option this would be it
Old 02-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='393069' date='Feb 19 2007, 07:50 AM
(Or are Adaptive Headlights in the Visibility Pack??). Bi Xenons? Are they in the Visibility Pack?

ABC
Just checked.... Adaptive & Bi Xenons would appear to be in the Vis Pack.

Thinking Hifi again... you would think shelling out for the Media Pack would get you the basic upgrade to your HiFi :'( nasty penny pinching going on there I'm thinking.

R
Old 02-18-2007, 11:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='393069' date='Feb 19 2007, 07:50 AM
You will kick yourself if you don't have the HiFi Upgrade (and though I'm no great fan of the audio quality, DAB radio too).

Now I know that it always feels as though those who have bought an option always defend their choice but everyone on here who has chosen Adaptive Headlights is enthusiastic. I guess if most of your driving is Motorway based you wouldn't notice much difference. (Or are Adaptive Headlights in the Visibility Pack??).

Bi Xenons? Are they in the Visibility Pack?

ABC
Yep, Vis pack includes options 522 (Xenons), 502 (Headlight Wash) and 524 (Adaptive Headlights).

My current list now looks list this....

Item
E61 525d SE Touring M57 3.0d
Space Grey
Black Dakota Leather
Luxury Pack
Soft Close Automatic Doors
Comfort Seats - Electric
Anthracite Bamboo
Automatix Gearbox
Radial Spoke 244 7.5Jx17" with Run-flats
Front Seat Heating
Rear Seat Heating
Extended Interior Light Package
BMW Prof Radio/CD
USB/audio interface
Drop down seats
Visibility Pack
Folding Mirrors
HiFi Upgrade or Logic7

Dropping the active cruise and adding the hi-fi upgrade, not decided on the basic upgrade or the logic 7 yet though.

Not sure about the heated steering wheel though, ive never noticed my hands being that cold when driving
Old 02-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

If you really care about music, LOGIC7 is a must. But for "normal listening" the HiFi system is quite OK. But keep the volume down, otherwise you'll regret not paying the premium...
Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='392885' date='Feb 18 2007, 10:30 AM
Is the sound so bad ?

I've got my order in and slot is booked, if the std euro hi fi is as bad as suggested here i may opt for the upgrade.... I could do with more opinions on this please.

R

Yep order the Hi Fi it is a must, I have had it since launch day and just be testing some new e60s without it and would not contemplate an order without it now.

Just about to order a 535dSE...still not sure about the interior colour my default choice is black but I am wondering what dark blue or natural brown will look like with Monaco Blue???? Also debating between the std 244 wheels and the style 245, I am not prepared to pay for the 18" rims.

Simon
Old 02-20-2007, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by vji6697' post='392834' date='Feb 18 2007, 07:58 AM
Comments and opinions most welcome. I dont want to buy an option that is a lemon, but dont want to miss a "must have" option either... decisions decisions ....

Good choice.

Unless your a tradesman, gardener and/or a complusive carrier of widgets and other unless bits, a sedan with rear folding seats gets the job down nicely. IMHO, the tourer provide only a marginal increase in cargo capacity and its biggest advantage is the loading height. The tourer does look attractive, but the sedan looks better.

Just my two cents.

CVT Benhogan

Quick Reply: Changing my mind... E60 ordered - Option Feedback pls