E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Changing belts cost me $3,300

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havn't posted on the board for a couple of years now but early on I was a regular contributor.
Update--- Got 148,000 miles now on my 2005 545ia and the car has been teriffic
Only problem in in all this time was only with the Nav. system. Would not play the disc and a new motor cost around $1600.
I ALWAYS service my car at my BMW dealer, but I made the huge mistake to take it to a supposed European car specialty repair shop that had always done a good job on my Saab. Not so with the BMW. I thought for something as simple as changing the belts out on the car, I could save a few bucks since the car has high milage. Well it ended up costing me $3,300. One of the belts they repaced came off the pulley, whipped around the engine compartment and pretty much wiped out the other belts, destroyed the power steering and transmission cooler line, and power steering pump.Anyway it came to $1600 in parts and $1500 in labor plus tax.A big cost to just replace belts as a maintenance matter. When it happened I lost everything at 60 miles an hour, steering and all the fluids. I was lucky to be able to get off the road before I burned out everything.
To sum it up, the repair shop replaced the belts they claim with BMW parts ( everything was so shreded you could not tell for sure)but they did not replace the belt tensioner. The failure came 3 weeks after they did the job and resulted in the belt coming off causing all the damage. The local repair shop said the tensioner seemed to be OK so why replace it? WRONG. BMW told me when replacing belts on a car with this much milage you should always replace the belt tensioner along with the belts.
Of course the local shop said they have no responsibilkty so I guess that's, that. I"m stuck.
I guess I learned the hard way. BMW's should only be serviced by BMW, even for something as simple as belt repacement. THEY KNOW THEIR CARS LIKE NO ONE ELSE. Spend the extra bucks for their high labor charge. It can be a heck of a lot cheaper in the long run.-----LIVE AND LEARN-----
Netjazz
Old 11-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

thanks for the heads up. im glad you ended up safe thou
Old 11-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Man that sucks, glad youre ok. But changing the tensioner w/ belts is like changing the filter w/ an oil change, at least thats what I always thought
Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i - mo mods...just got it

What a coincidence, my 525 with 120K needs a belt tensioner cause it makes noise. I will have it done by a good friend of mine who has worked on all of my cars and no problems. But here is the deal:
BMW Service tells me that i need to replace the entire belt tensioning system to a hydraulic type because i guess they dont make the mechanical anymore??? And the whole thing costs like $700 bucks.
I found a replacement belt tensioner for $60(max) on ebay. I am not sure if thats an aftermarket or not. I always like to use OEM parts but in this case i think i might get a belt direct from BMW and a tensioner from other source.

Does anyone know anything about this hydraulic system that i was offered? I should be okay replacing the one i have now with a new non-hydraulic right? ...say with this one? EBAY
Old 11-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

sorry to hear than man. good thing nothing serious happened to you while driving..

thank you for sharing. I will def. keep in mind to change the tensioner with the belt
Old 11-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Contributors

Wise words, and jesus christ that guy's sig is enormous 2 posts above me. wtf
Old 11-14-2010, 08:45 PM
Members

Well, you really need to find a BMW specialty shop. And, always remember you are responsible for your car's health. Do research online like on this and other BMW forums. There has been plenty of discussions about changing belts and tensioners at the same time.

I would just bring all my parts to the shop, and ask the shop to change out whatever needs to be done. I found that I probably know more than most shops about my BMW.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

the bmw tensioners are the worse. instead of using a simple spring loaded tensioner, they incorporate some kind of dampener built in. but the dampener dries out or something, and fails to freely move as it ages. mine was making noises as it was trying to move as the engine was running. when i tried to move it to replace my belt, it was very sluggish and stiff. poor design in my opinion. and i wouldnt totally fault your independent mechanic, cause most cars dont need a new dampener when changing a belt.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I always kinda thought that replacing tensioners goes along with replacing belts - and I'm not even a mechanic! I say, the local shop DOES have responsibility here! Big time!

And the LEAST you could do to retaliate against their escape from responsibility, is help the rest of us by telling us the name of the shop...

Anyway, glad you're okay and the car is fixed. But seriously, I'd definitely try to get that shop to admit their fault and reciprocate in at least some way.

GL
Old 11-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Contributors

netjazz, sorry to hear a belt can go crazy and cost all that damage--glad you got off safely. Probably hard to tell anything in that mess, did it look like the belt tensioner failed? Or the belt came loose over short time because it wasn't tighten properly?

I just had the *drive belts replaced a few days ago, but you got me wondering now. There is a DIY but decided to have the dealer tackle it. They replaced two ribbed v-belts, but I don't think the "belt tensioner" was replaced. I have almost same mileage, approaching 145,000 miles. Maybe I should give the service advisor a call?

Quick Reply: Changing belts cost me $3,300