E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Changing Angel Eye Bulb - Pre LCI Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Coming soon...

Can anyone point me to a DIY for changing the angel eye bulbs on a pre-lci E60 with Adaptive Xenons? The manual says to take it to the dealer but no way!! It seems they make this recommendation because of the high voltage running to the xenons, but I should just be able to unplug the battery right? I've seen a video online of some asian dude changing the bulb, but it looked like he was working on an LCI car...
Old 08-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Senior Members

Look in the DIY section and search for John's thread on Mtec angel eyes. You do not have to disconnect the battery. Just remove the current one and screw the after market one in if you have the plug and play kind. I found it's much easier to remove the headlight but some were able to do it with a long neck plier.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Planning to switch out my Mtec 2.1 for the 5watt version later on today to compare. If not, Orion here I come.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

did you try searching for it? there are a few discussions regarding this...

here's the easiest way (just need needle nose pliers): https://5series.net/forums/topic/368...ge__hl__needle

or you can search for a few other threads regarding removing the headlight to get to the bulb...
Old 08-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
Planning to switch out my Mtec 2.1 for the 5watt version later on today to compare. If not, Orion here I come.
Lol. Guess it'll be Orions for you.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

just did it...i think you're right Simon, Orion will be next for sure.

The 5watt is slightly brighter than the Mtec 2.1 when dark but not very noticeable and about the same outdoor.

BTW, I switched out to Mtec 2.1 awhile back and forgot what a pain it is to insert the bulb and tighten it. Not enough room to put my hand in to have good grip.

Also, anyone know the easiest way to clean the dust inside the lens cover or I should just leave it like that until I pull the trigger on the Orion?
Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 M5 Silver/Grey BLK, HUD, SMG, fully Loaded...RPI Scoops Red, Block Off Plates, BMC Filters. Hyper Silver Painted Wheels, RPI Full GTS Exhaust

Hi All, I was looking to purchase the Mtec 3.0 for my 06 M5, anyone had experience with these? I hear they are brighter, and have the proper cooling than any others on the market - any info would be appreciated.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
just did it...i think you're right Simon, Orion will be next for sure.

The 5watt is slightly brighter than the Mtec 2.1 when dark but not very noticeable and about the same outdoor.

BTW, I switched out to Mtec 2.1 awhile back and forgot what a pain it is to insert the bulb and tighten it. Not enough room to put my hand in to have good grip.

Also, anyone know the easiest way to clean the dust inside the lens cover or I should just leave it like that until I pull the trigger on the Orion?
Hah, not sure how I missed your post, but thanks to the person above that raised this up, lol. Like I said, since I have taken apart the headlight and looked at how the rings are engineered, there's really no way of having good PNP bulbs for this. The only probable thing is some really high wattage LEDs, but then heat becomes an enormous issue. And with how large the heatsinks are already on 3w, 5w, and 6w PNP LEDs already, I just don't see how it can be reasonably done.

The alternative, of course, is to divide each ring to have the ring receive its own light source, making it 4 bulbs total. But ultimately, it would still require cutting open the headlights to achieve this anyway.

As for cleaning the dust inside... it's a toughie man. Go to craft store and pick up some pipe cleaners. You can wiggle it through from the back opening and basically "do your best".

Originally Posted by cbpmark
Hi All, I was looking to purchase the Mtec 3.0 for my 06 M5, anyone had experience with these? I hear they are brighter, and have the proper cooling than any others on the market - any info would be appreciated.
The Mtec 3s are most definitely the brightest that I have seen for pre-LCI xenons. Thanks to dv8ed for dropping by one day so I can see it. Compared to v2, which you can't even tell it's on during the day, v3 is at least visible enough that you know they're there. Worth twice the cost? That's rather subjective. I would rather spend $50 more and get the Orions -- but that's only cuz I can install it
Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 M5 Silver/Grey BLK, HUD, SMG, fully Loaded...RPI Scoops Red, Block Off Plates, BMC Filters. Hyper Silver Painted Wheels, RPI Full GTS Exhaust

Thanks I got the v3's for $189 shipped so not that expensive.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Ouch! I got mine about 2-3 yrs ago off ebay for $30.
In fact I sold my OEM bulbs for double what I paid for the new ones. I don't know, Maybe you guys think that's not expensive but that's very expensive. What do you think the actual overall cost of production is? Pretty low per unit. But just multiply that by ignorance (no offense) and the automotive world's "advertisement campaign's" and you think you got a good deal. For example look at the pharmaceutical companies. Do you think the cost of production (overall cost) is so high? No, they're raking your money in and giving you other diseases while they're at it.
In 2004 I bought some aftermarket HID's for the E46 (i think DS2?) for like $35 a pair 6000K because the stock ones (i think 4300K , don't remember) didn't see bright enough. Here we are almost 8 yrs later and not a single problem! Do you think I'd pay $150 for an inferior bulb just because they have a name or because BMW recommends them?

Quick Reply: Changing Angel Eye Bulb - Pre LCI Xenon