E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Changed spark plugs - now car drinks more gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

I had my plugs changed by a local indy shop and noticed immediately that the car guzzles more gas. Not sure what specific make the plugs are.
Any ideas? Bad plugs?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Had my plugs changed recently - within a 1000 miles and gained a bit.... a lot of it is driving habits though - more traffic? Heavier skinny pedal... these things will decrease your mpg. I am assuming you reset your mpg's and have been watching?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Is this after going through a new tank of gas? Remember the car may have been sitting, idling a lot wasting gas when it was at the shop.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention that I did the change a month ago and been monitoring it since. So I filled up a number of times and been resetting the litres/km every fill up, and did noticed a jump.

Will continue to monitor. Wonder if the make of spark plugs have something to do gas consumption. Could it also be the weather? My e39 back in the day would consume more gas in the winter than summer. Perhaps my e60 is the same.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Shlooky
Thanks for the replies, I forgot to mention that I did the change a month ago and been monitoring it since. So I filled up a number of times and been resetting the litres/km every fill up, and did noticed a jump.

Will continue to monitor. Wonder if the make of spark plugs have something to do gas consumption. Could it also be the weather? My e39 back in the day would consume more gas in the winter than summer. Perhaps my e60 is the same.
Did they reset adaption values afterward? This will make a difference in what you notice. Car may run rough for the first 25 miles or so and may throw errors all over the place. None are to worry about unless they set adaptions when engine was running which is a no no.
If they didn't do it, I wouldn't worry about it, you wont notice much of a difference for the first 1000 miles anyway.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Did they reset adaption values afterward? This will make a difference in what you notice. Car may run rough for the first 25 miles or so and may throw errors all over the place. None are to worry about unless they set adaptions when engine was running which is a no no.
If they didn't do it, I wouldn't worry about it, you wont notice much of a difference for the first 1000 miles anyway.

what is the reset procedure for mpg? outlined in idrive? owner's manual? thanks.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I was referring to adaption values and that can only be done in INPA or SSS. Perferrably SSS. It will set your engine's values to a value of 0 because your engine and all modules have learning capabilities. You can reset your consumption on iDrive and maybe that will reset the algorithm.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I was referring to adaption values and that can only be done in INPA or SSS. Perferrably SSS. It will set your engine's values to a value of 0 because your engine and all modules have learning capabilities. You can reset your consumption on iDrive and maybe that will reset the algorithm.

yes, and thanks. i was referring to resetting "consumption" in the idrive. do you know the procedure, or is it in the owner's manual?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by BMW535xia
yes, and thanks. i was referring to resetting "consumption" in the idrive. do you know the procedure, or is it in the owner's manual?

There is no procedure to reset the mpg, its pretty much like any other car. In my car its selectable on the turn signal stalk and once on the mpg display bon the dash I hold the "bc" button until it resets to zero... I can also access it through the "Car Data" screen in the idrive. Once there you select consumption and it asks you if you want to reset.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

WOW, when I changed my plugs I instantly gained 2.5 mpg, it has leveled off since to about 1.8 mpg gained. Can't imagine LOSING mpg with new plugs. BTW, I used Bosch Platinum +4 - same as came OEM on my car

Quick Reply: Changed spark plugs - now car drinks more gas