E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CEL this morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

What a way to start a Monday! I started up my car this morning to head to work, and was greeted with the CEL flashing a few times, and then staying solid. As I backed out the car, I noticed that the car was hesitant and there were vibrations. I decided to chance it and drive it to the dealer. Every time I stoped at a traffic light, the car vibrated, and I saw the RPM needle fluctuate. I drove carefully (around 40mph) with the CEL on the whole way to the shop. While it's there, I've also asked them to take a look at why my wipers don't always go all the way down after a complete sweep -- sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Also, I've noticed that about every other week I need to change the clock in my car because it loses time.

I'm thinking that it's either the plugs, MAF, or O2 sensor for the CEL...I hope the lack of a charcoal air filter won't void any warranties! I'll post an update when I find out for sure. Anyone else experience the last two issues?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same thing with my wiper.. it happens randomly it seems and it doesn't matter if I have it on auto or start wiping manually. I assume you didn't gas or a burning smell right?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by crypto
I have the same thing with my wiper.. it happens randomly it seems and it doesn't matter if I have it on auto or start wiping manually. I assume you didn't gas or a burning smell right?
Nope, no gas or burning smell. I filled up my tank on Friday, and drove around on Saturday without issues, so I'm suprised this happened. ...well actually maybe not *totally* surprised, since I've noticed that the car has been idling rough especially with the AC off (weird). Also there has always been a hesitation with the throttle, but it's been that way since I bought it used last July. I'm not sure if this has to do with how the car is programmed, whether it's a quirk of the SAT, or whether the previous owner really ragged out this car. I just hate how sometimes you need to accelerate hard and you get that "oh-sh1t" feeling as you make a turn and it's not accelerating as fast as you like with an on-coming car headed towards you!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Members

Update: I'm told the battery was changed and reprogrammed (aka, registering???). Woohoo...a new BMW battery on their dime! I'm not sure how this would cause sluggishness, but I never got any low battery indication, and iDrive didn't show any control messages -- all systems "OK" They did say there was one time when the car logged a cylinder #5 misfire, but at this point there is nothing they can further replace. I told them to drive the car with the A/C off and then compare with driving with the A/C on. For some reason the car idle and drives more harsh with the A/C off. Nothing mentioned about the wiper system, and I forgot to ask if they found anything wrong with it, but I suspect that they "could not replicate."
Old 12-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

The only "warning" you will get that suggests a failing battery is the "increased battery discharge" message on iDrive when you start the car - but that's only when it detects a weak battery during the start cycle. If the battery can hold a decent enough charge after driving the car you will not get warning the next time you start it.

In my case, I noticed CA wouldn't lock/unlock the doors when I touched the handle and the clock memory would reset even if the car was only shut off for a few minutes. Replcaed the battery and these symptoms went away.

Glad to hear the dealer gave you a new battery for free - it costs about $200 plus registration.

As for the rough idle, I had a similar problem awhile back that only happened during a cold start and I never got the CEL. Had the dealer keep the car overnight and their tech confirmed the problem the next morning. They spent 2-3 days working w/BMWNA and ended up replacing 2 injectors.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
The only "warning" you will get that suggests a failing battery is the "increased battery discharge" message on iDrive when you start the car - but that's only when it detects a weak battery during the start cycle. If the battery can hold a decent enough charge after driving the car you will not get warning the next time you start it.

In my case, I noticed CA wouldn't lock/unlock the doors when I touched the handle and the clock memory would reset even if the car was only shut off for a few minutes. Replcaed the battery and these symptoms went away.

Glad to hear the dealer gave you a new battery for free - it costs about $200 plus registration.

As for the rough idle, I had a similar problem awhile back that only happened during a cold start and I never got the CEL. Had the dealer keep the car overnight and their tech confirmed the problem the next morning. They spent 2-3 days working w/BMWNA and ended up replacing 2 injectors.
I've gotten "increased battery discharge" messages in the past, but after they replaced some module earlier this year, I hadn't gotten once since. They had always told me that both the alternator and battery checked out fine, so I'm surprised that they suddenly replaced the battery. I'm told that the weak battery could have been a cause for the slow clock and wiper issues. The SA test drove the car and said he feels the car doesn't exhibit any hesitation or rough idling. I'll see how things go after this new battery, but in the future, I think I will do as you indicated and leave the car overnight.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Glad to hear the battery issue solved the gremlins!