E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

cd changer Q from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Carbon Black 520D M Sport

Hi All
A question from a first time BMW owner.
I purchased a 2007 E60 520d M at the time I didnt specify a CD changer becuase the brochure stated that the car came CD Prepped (option 694) I took this to mean that I could purchase a cd changer at a later date and it would be "plug and play".
how wrong was I.
I purchased a genuine BMW CD Changer from an E60 complete with mounting bracket, screws and the optical plug, installed in about 30 mins, no joy.
I contacted my local BMW garage who want to rob me of ?300+ to recode the car!!!!

I have raised a complaint to BMWUK stating that I beleive thaey have contravened the sale of goods act by stating in the brochure that the car was cd prepped, and no mention of the fact the car has to go back to the main dealer for further work if purchased as a later addition, I will let you know how I get on.

meanwhile is it possible to DIY the cd changer option yourself?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 AM
Contributors

Hi Andy. I know exactly where you are coming from - I had this same issue with my last car, but luckily found out it wouldn't work before purchasing a CD changer. There is unfortunately no way that you can enable it yourself, it has to be done by the dealer.

I also thought there was a legal case to be had due to the wording, but never went any further than just thinking about it. If you do decide to go legal I am sure you will find a bunch of people on here willing to confirm that we also think it is misleading, and it should state next to the option the substantial costs involved to add this afterwards. They would be better off having no "CD Prep" at all - just state that you either "have CD changer" or "do not have CD changer". To say it's prepped, as you say, implies it is "prepared to accept a CD changer with no additional hardware/software".

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

One "MIGHT" consider this a "retrofit" and use this as leverage. Of course it assumes you have paid for some hardware supplied by BMW, which in this case you did not.

Alternatively, another method is to have a legitimate issue which requires a PROGMAN upgrade. While they are at it you say, please code in my changer. This has worked successfully several times totally free but some were also offered a far lesser charge than the ?300+ your dealer is asking. Are other dealers close by enough to try them as well?

SI B 01 09 06
Warranty February 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B01 09 06 dated November 2006.

Changes to this revision are identified by a black bar.

(New) designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Defect Code for Programming Prior to Accessory Retrofit

MODEL
All

GENERAL INFORMATION
Software update programming is sometimes required as part of an electronic accessory installation. When connecting to Progman to perform "Retrofit Coding", the Status Report will indicate if a software update is required. This software update must be performed before the "Retrofit coding" can be carried out.

A software update to prepare the vehicle for the "Retrofit Coding" of an accessory is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty and must be claimed using defect code 72 60 93 02 00.

Any other Progman programming and recoding of the vehicle software specifically associated with the installation of the accessory should be included in the customer pay installation charge. See Parts Information Bulletin 65 12 04.

For additional information concerning warranty claims for software update programming (Progman), refer to SI B01 03 06.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
The software update and any control module replacement required to prepare the vehicle for the "Retrofit Coding" of the accessory is covered under the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty. All control modules must be identified by the Measures Plan or Status Report created by Progman.

The "Retrofit Coding" of the vehicle software specifically associated with the installation of the accessory is included in the customer pay installation charge. See Aftersales Bulletin 65 09 06.

Software update that is performed as a result of an accessory retrofit:

Defect Code
72 60 93 02 00

Refer to the latest KSD version for appropriate labor allowances.

The warranty claim must include in the "Comments" section a clear reason for the programming work for example, "Software update for satellite radio retrofit".

All claims must be supported by copies of the Measures Plan and Final Reports produced at each stage of the programming process. These documents are to be printed and attached to the customers work order.

(New) NOTE:

In cases where Progman requires the replacement of control modules, or additional programming, because certain control modules failed to program correctly; the Labor Operation, and Labor Allowance for this additional work should be selected from KSD and all work claimed under the original Defect Code.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='492141' date='Nov 9 2007, 07:42 AM
One "MIGHT" consider this a "retrofit" and use this as leverage. Of course it assumes you have paid for some hardware supplied by BMW, which in this case you did not.
Not quite true - with the CD Prep, you get the cable from the back of the "stereo" running to the back of the glove box ready to plug the CD changer in. If the unit could not then simply be plugged in by an "end user" without dealer intervention, why bother running the cable, why not just make it part of the dealer fit exercise. It is this cable fitment and description of CD Prep which is the cause for argument.