E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CD Changer problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi w/Sport, Premium, Cold weather. Silver Gray Metallic, Black Dakota leather interior.

So I bought a cd changer from a member. Installed it, loaded it up and it loads and scans through each tray. But its not selectable in Idrive. Says, "No selectable or supported audio media in either internal drive." Each cd I have tested in the cd drive previously with no problems. I have tried it with and without cd's in the dash cd and dvd drives. I have the option list sheet for my car, though it was purchased used. It and a vin check both say it is pre-wired for a cd changer and sirius radio. So after trying every way I could think of to make this work, I dismounted it and unplugged. This is when I noticed the plug itself. It only has two wires from the car connected to it (see photo). The plug looks like it has forms for something similar to RCA connectors but with no wiring. My question is, is this correct? or is it missing something?
Thank you for any help!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Contributors

Pre-wired but needs to be coded. You'll need a dealer or indy with the correct coding equipment.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w/Sport, Premium, Cold weather. Silver Gray Metallic, Black Dakota leather interior.

hmmmm, I was told it was plug and play.
Anyway I was wondering about only two wires. I guess I'm thinking they would have to be power and ground so how does it get audio?
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Members

They are fibre optics for the MOST.

You need to do a little reconfiguring before it will work depending in your set up.
You should see a red light on one of the lines to that plug
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Yea i think it just needs coding.. Just like I installed my aux it needed to be coded..
Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by CHR15
They are fibre optics for the MOST.

You need to do a little reconfiguring before it will work depending in your set up.
You should see a red light on one of the lines to that plug
Both lines are copper. They plug into the right side of plug (using two of the 4 small cube shaped slots of the plug.) I don't see any fiber.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

The MOST buss lines are usually taped somewhere near. You may have to remove the bottom passenger side access panel to get to it. It will be a stiff green plastic fibre optic wire, with a black connector in the middle. That is the buss wire. You will need to unclip from the black connector (leaving you 2 end points). One side will light up. You will need to pick up the end connectors from your dealer. Once the end connectors are on, push the lighted side into the #1 connector on the plug you discovered and referred to as a possible RCA connectors. They are actually where the fiber lines attach to the changer. One side is fibre in. The other side is the output. Once completed, you will need to code the car to recognize the changer. I had the same 'fun' when I added my changer.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530si Sport, on a boat as I type!! Orient Blue, Beige leather, premium package, premium sound, cold weather, steptronic, power shades, fold down rear seats, rear seat heat, park distance control, navigation & Sirius satellite radio.

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
The MOST buss lines are usually taped somewhere near. You may have to remove the bottom passenger side access panel to get to it. It will be a stiff green plastic fibre optic wire, with a black connector in the middle. That is the buss wire. You will need to unclip from the black connector (leaving you 2 end points). One side will light up. You will need to pick up the end connectors from your dealer. Once the end connectors are on, push the lighted side into the #1 connector on the plug you discovered and referred to as a possible RCA connectors. They are actually where the fiber lines attach to the changer. One side is fibre in. The other side is the output. Once completed, you will need to code the car to recognize the changer. I had the same 'fun' when I added my changer.
Brings new meaning to the phrase "plug and play" huh? In this case, a little plugging and a lot of playing!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Members

On your picture the MOST Bus is not visible.

Have you found it yet?

Also as people mentioned above, it will definately need coding.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by delwarulislam
On your picture the MOST Bus is not visible.

Have you found it yet?

Also as people mentioned above, it will definately need coding.
No I haven't looked. I am going to try for a refund as it is not what I was told by the seller. I know probably screwed but if there is that much left to do I would rather attempt an aux port and just use my phone.
Thank you all for you help and insight!

Quick Reply: CD Changer problem