E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CD Changer Missing!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

OK - so I am clearing out the stuff from my 06 550i and moving it into my comparably equiped 08 550i and find that the spot where the CD changer is located is now covered with a blanking plate. After scratching a hole in my head trying to understand why there is no CD changer in the car with the premium sound system (logic 7) I turned to the dealer catalogue. BMW apparently included this in the premium sound option in the 06 MY but has eliminated it in the 08 MY. It is listed as a dealer option in the catalogue!

In the interest of fair reporting, after doing some homework comparing my two models, the MSRP of the premium sound system dropped from $1800 to $1200 between 06 and 08. I am assuming CDs are considered end of life technology and IPODs are the future. BMW appears to be offering the option to the customer instead of including the changer in the premium package. I was taken back with the cost of the IPOD option being more than the actual IPOD.

Maybe I am getting too old and cranky. Even if I have to shovel CDs into the dash one at a time it is still one amazing ride!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by MidnightRider' post='532568' date='Feb 17 2008, 11:42 PM
OK - so I am clearing out the stuff from my 06 550i and moving it into my comparably equiped 08 550i and find that the spot where the CD changer is located is now covered with a blanking plate. After scratching a hole in my head trying to understand why there is no CD changer in the car with the premium sound system (logic 7) I turned to the dealer catalogue. BMW apparently included this in the premium sound option in the 06 MY but has eliminated it in the 08 MY. It is listed as a dealer option in the catalogue!

In the interest of fair reporting, after doing some homework comparing my two models, the MSRP of the premium sound system dropped from $1800 to $1200 between 06 and 08. I am assuming CDs are considered end of life technology and IPODs are the future. BMW appears to be offering the option to the customer instead of including the changer in the premium package. I was taken back with the cost of the IPOD option being more than the actual IPOD.

Maybe I am getting too old and cranky. Even if I have to shovel CDs into the dash one at a time it is still one amazing ride!
I am making the same change as you in about a month. What are your initial impressions as to differences between the two??
Old 02-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MidnightRider' post='532568' date='Feb 17 2008, 11:42 PM

Hopefully, you ordered the iPod option. I haven't used a CD or CD changer in a car since, well I can't remember but my previous 5er (MY2003, picked up in Freimann in 2002) had a Phatbox and my 2006 had BMW's MOST bus iPod interface.

I can't imagine why the changer would even be desirable at this point.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree that the changer isn't worth it anymore. Even on my 2004 E60, which had a changer and no iPod interface, I rarely used it. Instead, I just burned some MP3 CDs and DVDs and used them in the dash slots. (You can fit way more music on an MP3 CD than the six discs a changer would hold.) In addition, since the iDrive screen displayed the artist, track name, etc., it worked way better than the "CD2 Track 4" listing that the changer would show. If I didn't feel like messing with discs, I could always fall back on Sirius to get me through a drive.

Now, on my 2008 E60, between the USB/iPod interface, Sirius, and HD Radio, I don't miss the changer one bit! It's funny but I actually considered ordering it early on but decided I could always add it later if I felt I needed it. Now, after about seven months with the car, I'm positive that it would have been a total waste of money to get the changer. Since I've ripped pretty much all my discs to a USB hard drive, I have something much, much better than a silly six-disc changer...
Old 02-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='532573' date='Feb 17 2008, 09:00 PM
Hopefully, you ordered the iPod option. I haven't used a CD or CD changer in a car since, well I can't remember but my previous 5er (MY2003, picked up in Freimann in 2002) had a Phatbox and my 2006 had BMW's MOST bus iPod interface.

I can't imagine why the changer would even be desirable at this point.
the reason for a cd changer? The answer is: Audio Books.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

Jeff - I am still amazed at how great a car the 550 is. The new one seems to pull stronger although it has the same engine. I like the smaller, fatter steering wheel with the sport package. I am not so sure I wanted to pay for the aero kit that came with the sport pkg but it sure does look kewl. The wheels are very sharp but they will be a bear to keep clean. I am a fanatic for a clean car. The sport seats are really nice and I like the hug they give me when I start up the car. The SAT is very nice and I use it much more than I thought I would. I just installed a Blinder radar jammer and I will be posting pictures asap on the DIY pages. It was a very clean and nice install. I like the carbon black and can't wait for a nice spring day to clay and wax the car to bring out all of the hues in the paint. The first thing I noticed was the exhaust note which resonates power. Now if I could just sell my 06 550 I would be all set.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stevej2001' post='532589' date='Feb 18 2008, 12:43 AM
Can't you rip the audio books to MP3? You could probably fit a multiple-disc book onto one disc that you can use in the dash slot (or on the USB/iPod interface if you have one...)
Old 02-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a link to another thread from September 2007 where we discovered the changer was deleted from the premium audio (L7) option:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=45146
Old 02-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by stevej2001' post='532589' date='Feb 17 2008, 09:43 PM

got audio books on my ipod also...

who wants to have a cd book or cd cases laying around the car when you can have a usb stick or ipod neatly tucked away in the center console. I like to keep my car clutter free, a big bulky cd book or cases tucked in the door compartment or glove box would drive me insane....
Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='532603' date='Feb 18 2008, 12:04 AM
got audio books on my ipod also...

who wants to have a cd book or cd cases laying around the car when you can have a usb stick or ipod neatly tucked away in the center console. I like to keep my car clutter free, a big bulky cd book or cases tucked in the door compartment or glove box would drive me insane....
I argee, but looks like MidnightRider did not order the USB/iPod set up in his new car...

Quick Reply: CD Changer Missing!